Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul Jr pre-Mod project

Christop

Hey!! Just a quick question as I get started on a light project. It is my 1st Les Paul Jr and I had been trolling Guitar Center and Reverb looking for a while. I picked up one for $60 (paid to much) in "fair" condition. A few nicks and bangs on it, tuners are absolutely used up, the Bridge/Tail piece was listing forward very badly. It has a very nice sunburst finish which I am considering dulling down a bit. Here is my initial question, it is a 2011 Indonesian and I am wondering what the body wood might be. It is solid wood but with those bridge posts moving it seems to be a soft. Not sure if that would rule out Mahogany or not! The plan is vintage style tuners with white buttons, nut, maybe an aftermarket B5, knobs and play it to see what the pickup sounds like.

Anyway...any thoughts on the wood used on these?

Thanks!!!

post-85538-069371700 1495671953_thumb.jpeg

post-85538-089397900 1495671969_thumb.jpeg

post-85538-049509300 1495671980_thumb.jpeg

Hey!! Just a quick question as I get started on a light project. It is my 1st Les Paul Jr and I had been trolling Guitar Center and Reverb looking for a while. I picked up one for $60 (paid to much) in "fair" condition. A few nicks and bangs on it, tuners are absolutely used up, the Bridge/Tail piece was listing forward very badly. It has a very nice sunburst finish which I am considering dulling down a bit. Here is my initial question, it is a 2011 Indonesian and I am wondering what the body wood might be. It is solid wood but with those bridge posts moving it seems to be a soft. Not sure if that would rule out Mahogany or not! The plan is vintage style tuners with white buttons, nut, maybe an aftermarket B5, knobs and play it to see what the pickup sounds like.

Anyway...any thoughts on the wood used on these?

Thanks!!!

BUMPITY BUMP!

According to http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Les_Paul_Junior#Les_Paul_Junior_.28Humbucker.29 she has a laminated mahogany/alder body.

This is not what I would call a combination of soft woods. The worn machine heads and the listing bridge bushings may come from experiments with extremely heavy string gauges or accidentally mixed up strings. Note: D!ck Dale uses a .020" G3rd for E1st on his invertedly strung Strats, needing four times the tension of a .010" at same tuning pitch.

Are you sure the tuners are worn? The builds used on the Epi Juniors usually feel quite loose without strings but are fine. I guess their back looks like this:

head_back.jpg

According to http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/Les_Paul_Junior#Les_Paul_Junior_.28Humbucker.29 she has a laminated mahogany/alder body.

This is not what I would call a combination of soft woods. The worn machine heads and the listing bridge bushings may come from experiments with extremely heavy string gauges or accidentally mixed up strings. Note: D!ck Dale uses a .020" G3rd for E1st on his invertedly strung Strats, needing four times the tension of a .010" at same tuning pitch.

Are you sure the tuners are worn? The builds used on the Epi Juniors usually feel quite loose without strings but are fine. I guess their back looks like this:

head_back.jpg

Thanks for the info!!! The tuners were each different in the degree of play they possessed, but two of them were especially loose, even under tension. Yeah, the hole for the low E side was significantly tilted so maybe thats what had been going on. Hmmmm

Archived