Gibson Brands Forums

I have a new single out. Any opinions gratefully received ☺️

Jinder

Hi all,

I've got a new album on the way in July, my tenth long player. It's a mixture of original songs rooted in mid-20th-century Americana and versions of songs from that era that I love.

The first single from the album came out this week, it's a version of the '30s Harburg/Gorney Standard 'Brother Can You Spare A Dime?', recorded using my friend Garry Smith's beautiful Regal Tricone resonator.

I'd love to know your thoughts on it...it's at all the usual download/streaming places but I know commercial links are frowned upon here so I've put an MP3 up on SoundCloud to share.

Here's the link:

Excellent first release for this album. I just now got introduced to your voice, and I like what I heard. I have bookmarked your tracks page so that i may come back this evening and listen to the rest. I wish you nothing but the best.

Very well done, Sir J. Masterful on the reso and well sung. Clear, strong voice you have!

That said, as good as the vocal is, the delivery seems a little carnival-like in spirit which, to my ear, doesn't befit the somber mood of the lyric.........perhaps this was your intent though, to put a different slant on things. An observation, not a criticism, and I hope it is taken in that light.

Wow, thanks all! I really appreciate the kind words, I know you're a lovely bunch but I wasn't expecting that kind of enthusiasm, I'm flattered and touched!

Which one of the touched you ?

Was em7 wasn't it !!

He's been warned before

Did you sing and play that at same time ??

Very well done, Sir J. Masterful on the reso and well sung. Clear, strong voice you have!

That said, as good as the vocal is, the delivery seems a little carnival-like in spirit which, to my ear, doesn't befit the somber mood of the lyric.........perhaps this was your intent though, to put a different slant on things. An observation, not a criticism, and I hope it is taken in that light.

Buc, no offence taken at all! I tried to be reverential to the original but adding a few contemporary tweaks (changing the lyric about "half a million boots" to "fifteen million boots", as a nod to the number of war dead since WW2 etc) and the vaguely carnivalesque-in-places vocal (really good spot!) was intended as a nod towards the fact that war, poverty and suffering is increasingly delivered by the media as a form of entertainment in the 21st century. I thought I'd erred on the slightly too subtle side with that element of the vocal inflection, so I'm both surprised and pleased that it was picked up!

Which one of the touched you ?

Was em7 wasn't it !!

He's been warned before

Did you sing and play that at same time ??

Haha he only touched me emotionally 😂

Yep it was done live in the studio, only took one take-the reso had a stereo pair of AKG C1000S condensers on it and I took a DI out of the National Slimline humbucker pickup on it as a blending option-the mix is about 82% mic and 18% pickup, with 200hz notched out completely and a global Q on the guitar channels with a little fairy dust at 12k to make it sparkle a little more. Individual mic channel EQs were flat. The vocal was a Rode NT1A, with an 80hz shelf and a boost around 900hz to make it sound a touch more honky and "old timey", a sort of pseudo 78 effect.

Most of the verb is room sound that was captured on the mics!

Most of the album was done this way (along with the Regal I used my '67 J45 and Dove, all mic'd with a tiny bit of DI in the mix), super simple recording and mixing process, just nice guitars in a good room and going for a performance every time-no drop ins, edits or tracking bar putting some extra guitar parts. Lovely and rewarding way to work!

Buc, no offence taken at all! I tried to be reverential to the original but adding a few contemporary tweaks (changing the lyric about "half a million boots" to "fifteen million boots", as a nod to the number of war dead since WW2 etc) and the vaguely carnivalesque-in-places vocal (really good spot!) was intended as a nod towards the fact that war, poverty and suffering is increasingly delivered by the media as a form of entertainment in the 21st century. I thought I'd erred on the slightly too subtle side with that element of the vocal inflection, so I'm both surprised and pleased that it was picked up!

I think you hit that just right. You caught the irony of the song perfectly. It was never a dirge: there was always a note of sad optimism there: how did I get to this point, and how can I get beyond it? Sort of smiling through the tears while asking for help.

It's a great song.

Haha he only touched me emotionally 😂

Yep it was done live in the studio, only took one take-the reso had a stereo pair of AKG C1000S condensers on it and I took a DI out of the National Slimline humbucker pickup on it as a blending option-the mix is about 82% mic and 18% pickup, with 200hz notched out completely and a global Q on the guitar channels with a little fairy dust at 12k to make it sparkle a little more. Individual mic channel EQs were flat. The vocal was a Rode NT1A, with an 80hz shelf and a boost around 900hz to make it sound a touch more honky and "old timey", a sort of pseudo 78 effect.

Most of the verb is room sound that was captured on the mics!

Most of the album was done this way (along with the Regal I used my '67 J45 and Dove, all mic'd with a tiny bit of DI in the mix), super simple recording and mixing process, just nice guitars in a good room and going for a performance every time-no drop ins, edits or tracking bar putting some extra guitar parts. Lovely and rewarding way to work!

I was busy clowning and forgot to actually say it's fantastic.

But you really don't need us to tell you it's great

A musically updated take on an old Crosby classic, I can dig it. I wonder if you shouldn't have taken your chances of updating the lyrics for a new age as well, you know, going the extra mile of making a good reinterpretation a great one and making the words more meaningful to today's listeners. Not sure if Harburg is still alive to do so himself.

Once we had Obama

Praise the Lord!

Life had meaning and hope.

Now we're stuck with Trump — a xenophobe,

Brother, can you spare a rope?

That was real class Jinder, its quite an honor to have a real pro on our little board.

Having said that I had no idea what the song is fully about as I rarely listen to the lyrics on first take, im always attracted by all the other elements, melody, rhythm, production, vocal tone and delivery.

Maybe Im shallow ... :rolleyes:

Archived