Gibson Brands Forums

Summer project

surfpup

Since I don't have any classes to teach for two months I need a project. Last year I put together a Jazz bass, the year before a gold top Tele (that paint took forever). This year I really want to do a butterscotch Tele.

The body arrived today. It's all shiny and pretty... that's gotta go. I think I'm going to sand off the poly clear coat and try some of the amber tinted nitro I used on the Jazz bass neck. Since my other Teles have humbuckers in the neck I think I'll do this one straight.. or maybe a Strat pup.

Nice body for a nice price, though. I love the Stratosphere! [thumbup]

IMG_8270.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have a neck for this Pup?

I'm planning on a partscaster soon, thinking of getting a neck from Warmoth

I do not have a neck yet yet. We are heading west (Montana and Alberta) for a few weeks and I will likely wait and procure one upon my return.

I generally cheap out on an Allparts or Mighty Mite neck though. With a little finish work they are fine necks. Musikraft I like better, and they are still cheaper than Warmoth. My red strat has an amazing neck from Musikraft.

I do not have a neck yet yet. We are heading west (Montana and Alberta) for a few weeks and I will likely wait and procure one upon my return.

I generally cheap out on an Allparts or Mighty Mite neck though. With a little finish work they are fine necks. Musikraft I like better, and they are still cheaper than Warmoth. My red strat has an amazing neck from Musikraft.

Thanks for the suggestion. There are some necks in stock at Warmoth that have the specs I'm looking for which are cheaper than I can find at Musikraft at the moment. I'm looking for an unfinished one btw which makes it a lot cheaper.

I don't want to clutter up your thread though I think I'll PM you

White or black pickguard?.....or...? :-k

The neck and board - "Roasted Quartersawn Private Reserve Flame Maple" sounds pretty good... [wink] :)

Definitely black guard and maple neck. Not like private reserve though. [unsure]

Done spraying nitro - about 10 coats in all. Now for the not fun part... letting it cure for a couple weeks before sanding and buffing. Good time for a summer trip. When I get back home it will be ready to work on some more. [thumbup]

IMG_8275.jpg

Done spraying nitro - about 10 coats in all. Now for the not fun part... letting it cure for a couple weeks before sanding and buffing. Good time for a summer trip. When I get back home it will be ready to work on some more. [thumbup]

IMG_8275.jpg

Sweeet, nice job

Sweeet, nice job

Thanks, bro. Trying to decide how much to relic it. My last two builds were shiny like new money. I want this one to be a bit more seasoned in appearance. Nothing cheesy like fake worn fretboard spots on the cowboy chord frets - but definitely no shiny new hardware and what not.

Thanks, bro. Trying to decide how much to relic it. My last two builds were shiny like new money. I want this one to be a bit more seasoned in appearance. Nothing cheesy like fake worn fretboard spots on the cowboy chord frets - but definitely no shiny new hardware and what not.

Send it out to the forum, each person takes it out for a night, sends it to the next goof. For sure I'll relic the headstock, I'ma cymbal hitter from way back. 6 or 8 evenings around America should do it.

rct

Send it out to the forum, each person takes it out for a night, sends it to the next goof. For sure I'll relic the headstock, I'ma cymbal hitter from way back. 6 or 8 evenings around America should do it.

rct

I like it. Shipping would be a b!itch though. We need like a bucket brigade driving plan where each guys shuffles it 50 miles onward. [thumbup]

I like it. Shipping would be a b!itch though. We need like a bucket brigade driving plan where each guys shuffles it 50 miles onward. [thumbup]

That might work. Big Bill and I could eff it up from here, maybe get it up to anyone in Philly. I've got 5 sets outdoors on a golf course Friday, and 4 sets the next night in a not too dumpy dump, 14th and 15th of July. It'd be pretty skanky after that. No string changes unless absolutely necessary, and nobody puts guitar cleaner on it at all. Could be a hoot! I'll intonate that three saddle and fukk it all up with my schitty pliers and such.

rct

That might work. Big Bill and I could eff it up from here, maybe get it up to anyone in Philly. I've got 5 sets outdoors on a golf course Friday, and 4 sets the next night in a not too dumpy dump, 14th and 15th of July. It'd be pretty skanky after that. No string changes unless absolutely necessary, and nobody puts guitar cleaner on it at all. Could be a hoot! I'll intonate that three saddle and fukk it all up with my schitty pliers and such.

rct

Like a funky collaborative art project. [thumbup] Shame it's not ready to play as we are heading to Glacier and Banff on Saturday. I could drop it off in Nashville - couple guys live there. Then again I could just drag it behind the car too I guess. [biggrin]

Like a funky collaborative art project. [thumbup] Shame it's not ready to play as we are heading to Glacier and Banff on Saturday. I could drop it off in Nashville - couple guys live there. Then again I could just drag it behind the car too I guess. [biggrin]

Oh man. Glacier is much more important! Some great Mexican and another place with great old fashioned western home cooked in the little town out front of the lodge. Huckleberry pie! Teton Amber Ale! The drive across the top of Montana, going east on US 2 is just awesome. Have fun and be careful!

rct

And idea for you Surf if you want to take it that far

[thumbup] It's a cool technique. I've used that stuff on some parts. It tends to create some green reactions and can get pretty funky. I'm more a fan of a dull satin look which you can get with a scotch brite pad usually.

• 4 weeks later...

Noice! You gonna do any decal or finish work on the neck?

Yeah. It's already covered in amber nitro. I had to scrape it off the frets and I took the shine off of the finger board. It was a bit thick. I have a water slide on order - 50s style, grey spaghetti logo. All the parts except the decal the pups and the pots arrived already.

I am going to start wet-sanding the body today now that the nitro has had time to cure.

Archived