Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod cover dates

Olguitar

I'm wondering if the date on the truss rod cover signifies anything other than the model year of a guitar...

I sometimes get the impression the ones with the date on the truss rod cover sound a little nicer [biggrin] could just be me?

I'm wondering if the date on the truss rod cover signifies anything other than the model year of a guitar...

I sometimes get the impression the ones with the date on the truss rod cover sound a little nicer [biggrin] could just be me?

And it sounds even better if you get a truss rod cover made out of fossilized walrus ivory....

Seriously, though, one thing I did on my J-35 was ditch the truss rod cover that came with it -- the black and white thing with "2016" on it -- and installed a solid black one. I thought the black and white cover looked ugly.

Gibson had used model names - dates - wide white borders - narrow white borders - solid black - white in black with white border with model name in center - and some Kalamazoo folks had their names engraved in theirs. My guitars usually sound better without dates - model names also suck, except for those appearing on late 1960's Doves. Some folks claim better sound with aftermarket covers of different sorts. I'm leaning toward one engraved TRC (truss rod cover) in case I forget what it's for. Seriously? Most agree it don't matter none😏

Archived