Gibson Brands Forums

New pickup covers for 57 classics - neck/bridge or neck/neck?

McBrain

Long time lurker, first time poster - I just bought a used ES-339 from 2007. Got it at a good price since the headstock had been broken and repaired.

I have a nickel allergy, so I'm replacing the hardware with chrome parts (TonePros) and having it refretted with SS or EVO frets (haven't decided yet).

I plan on replacing the pickups with Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays down the line, but the 57 Classics are staying for now.

I do however want to switch the pickup covers to chrome so they match the new hardware, but I'm a bit unsure about the cover spacing. Do I need to get a neck/bridge set or two neck covers for my 57 classics?

Gibson chrome neck cover

Gibson chrome bridge cover

Thanks!

I don't have a 339, but do have a 336 which is very similar. The pickup covers are the same size, but I would recommend that you get one of each in case there are differences in how they are attached under the pickup rings (stuff you can't see until you take it apart).

In the photos they look to be identical, but since they are the same price and you need two of them anyway, I would get one of each.

I don't have a 339, but do have a 336 which is very similar. The pickup covers are the same size, but I would recommend that you get one of each in case there are differences in how they are attached under the pickup rings (stuff you can't see until you take it apart).

In the photos they look to be identical, but since they are the same price and you need two of them anyway, I would get one of each.

The difference is in the spacing between the holes for the screws, so they will have to match the pickups. I read somewhere, that the 57 Classics need two neck covers, but just wanted to check with the experts before ordering :)

Archived