Gibson Brands Forums

And now we lose Gregg Allman

surfpup

A very sad loss indeed. :( R.I.P. Gregg, and thank you for all the great music.

In memoriam I link an optimistic instrumental track from 1973, named after and dedicated to the then little daughter of his bandmate Dickey Betts, Jessica:

He had been in hospice care for a few weeks, that is never a good sign.Thanks Greg for all the great music and inspiring so many. Your contribution to rock and to the music world is immeasurable.God Bless, RIP.Peace out brother..

Heard this earlier this evening & while not a big surprise given his health issues of late - still saddened by this news. I don't know of any musicians that did not love the Allman Brothers & all the great music they shared with us. R.I.P. Gregg :(

51 times I saw that guy sing* while Dickey played. 51 fukking times.

Best Night Ever: Tower Theater, like 96 or so, a 10 nights gig. Gregg introduce Dickey as "...my partner in crime, I'd be dead if not for him..."

rct

*OK, so a few times, maybe a bunch, he couldn't sing. And Dickey had to sing Melissa and Midnight rider. But yeah, he sang. Most nights. And yeah, couple time Dickey was out, like when his horse died, and that last time I saw them, when they sold the tickets and then fired the songwriter.

Seems a highly regarded and respected musician who made quite an impact. RIP.

I've never heard any of their stuff, but I'll give it a try - suggestions of a 'representative' album or live gig recording from those who know are appreciated.

I've never heard any of their stuff, but I'll give it a try - suggestions of a 'representative' album or live gig recording from those who know are appreciated.

[scared]

Close you eyes.......turn it up .......".Live at the Fillmore East" .....have a nice trip.

They were really two bands... a blues band in the early years with Duane and more of a southern rock band after Duane was gone. (One could argue they became bluesier again with Warren Haynes and/or Derek Trucks I guess).

But as mentioned the Fillmore East live recordings certainly capture the first era well. I would suggest the first two studio albums as well - they are available as a package called "Beginnings" I believe.

This truly is sad news. I've been a fan since I was a kid. I seen the ABB, the first time at the old Chicago Stadium, in 1973, for the Brothers and Sisters tour, then I seen Gregg at the Chicago auditorium Theater in 1974 for the Laid Back tour, and the ABB again around 1977. What was one of the best things I've seen though was on AXS TV, the Big Interview with Dan Rather. Rather interviewed Gregg and I seen him in a totally different light. What a gentleman. He was kind, soft spoken, modest. Like I said, a real gentleman. I found a 9 minute piece on youtube. If you ever get a chance to see the full thing, it was really a wonderful interview.

I just heard about this when I read the forum. There were four live albums in the 70's that were a huge influence on me when I was learning to play guitar. At Fillmore East, Kiss Alive, AC/DC If you want blood, and Frampton Comes Alive. I played those over and over, learning guitar parts as I was able. It's time to get out the Fillmore album today and play along as a tribute, at least the ones I still remember. I saw the AXS special with Gregg just a couple of weeks ago.

All these wonderful musicians reunited in the afterlife makes an awesome jam. Thanks Gregg for all your years and contributions.

Guest Farnsbarns

Never watched Top Gear?

Yeah. I was at the Delfest music festival when we got the news. Most of the artists started adding little tributes into their sets. Warren Haynes and Gov't Mule were scheduled to play late Sunday night. We hated to miss his set, especially since I'm sure he did a great tribute to Gregg, but we had to head home early and missed it.

RIP Gregg

Archived