Gibson Brands Forums

Octave pedals

Wee Davy

A couple of years ago my son bought me a pedal. It was all singing, all dancing with drum loops, rhythm loops, amp simulators, a looper, you name it.

Much as I tried, I couldn't be bothered with all the parameter changing and peering at the small display screen. I decided all I really wanted was a one button looper and a compressor.

After checking out the market here in the UK it seems that some Chinese manufacturers are producing some neat little pedals with good reviews.

They all seem to made by the same people and are branded differently.

Rowin, Donner and Mooer for example.

So for less than £100 I got a neat little compressor and a looper that looks almost identical to the TC Ditto.

I've since been looking at octave pedals made by the same people.

Anyone have experience of using them ( by any manufacturer)

Useful or not?

A couple of years ago my son bought me a pedal. It was all singing, all dancing with drum loops, rhythm loops, amp simulators, a looper, you name it.

Much as I tried, I couldn't be bothered with all the parameter changing and peering at the small display screen. I decided all I really wanted was a one button looper and a compressor.

After checking out the market here in the UK it seems that some Chinese manufacturers are producing some neat little pedals with good reviews.

They all seem to made by the same people and are branded differently.

Rowin, Donner and Mooer for example.

So for less than £100 I got a neat little compressor and a looper that looks almost identical to the TC Ditto.

I've since been looking at octave pedals made by the same people.

Anyone have experience of using them ( by any manufacturer)

Useful or not?

I'd spotted those also Davy while searching for a little ditto looper.

Almost took plunge , but online reviews are written within a day or so of receiving these things and I wonder if after a month of using it would it crumble under yer foot

The enclosures are solid aluminium and will stand a good hard stomp.

Same for the foot switch. Very positive in operation and I can't see it being easily broken.

Time will tell, really happy so far.

I've had them about a month.

The enclosures are solid aluminium and will stand a good hard stomp.

Same for the foot switch. Very positive in operation and I can't see it being easily broken.

Time will tell, really happy so far.

I've had them about a month.

Looks pretty much identical to a ditto but with a different sticker

Polyphonic octave pedals won't track with an acoustic pickup-too many overtones which mean the pedal won't read the signal cleanly and the octave will jump about all over the place.

For emulating a bass with an acoustic when looping, there's nothing better than the Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer. It's monophonic and delivers a really punchy, thick, fat octave down which you can almost chew on. Think a rosewood neck Jazz bass with both pickups on and the tone rolled halfway off.

A lot of the cheap Chinese stuff is okay (I own a Mooer Yellow Comp which is great and a Mooer Shimverb which is alright, I did have a Mooer Blue Faze fuzz which was rubbish but they can't all be great) but I've tried both Mooer octave/pitch shifting pedals and neither were good enough to my ears for electric or acoustic. Pitch shifting is such an exacting science and it's always better to spend a little more and get something which really works well. Buy once, cry once etc.

Polyphonic octave pedals won't track with an acoustic pickup-too many overtones which mean the pedal won't read the signal cleanly and the octave will jump about all over the place.

For emulating a bass with an acoustic when looping, there's nothing better than the Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer. It's monophonic and delivers a really punchy, thick, fat octave down which you can almost chew on. Think a rosewood neck Jazz bass with both pickups on and the tone rolled halfway off.

A lot of the cheap Chinese stuff is okay (I own a Mooer Yellow Comp which is great and a Mooer Shimverb which is alright, I did have a Mooer Blue Faze fuzz which was rubbish but they can't all be great) but I've tried both Mooer octave/pitch shifting pedals and neither were good enough to my ears for electric or acoustic. Pitch shifting is such an exacting science and it's always better to spend a little more and get something which really works well. Buy once, cry once etc.

Thanks for the advice, I'd only ever seen them demonstrated with electrics.

I did wonder how they would shape up with an acoustic. I'll save my money.

Archived