Gibson Brands Forums

Advanced Jumbo Short Scale

BigDawg007

I've takin a hiatus from here. But I'm back. I am wanting to but a Advanced Jumbo short scale rosewood with a long drop in saddle type. I've looked online but can't find one. Anyone know of a good one for sale?

Another topic- Gregg Allman is from my home town of Macon,Ga. Signs up all over town. RIP GA!!!!

BigDawg

Wow. Did Gibson ever make such a thing? Sounds like a J-45 Custom. The AJ's thing was its' long scale over rosewood..........short scale ain't an AJ anymore, is it?

Gibson did make the AJ short scale. Some are out there, I just can't find one.

The AJ may be joining the ranks of the J45 and Hummingbird as being "all over the place" in regards to models and variations. You know, somewhere along the line one has to ask "When does a Hummingbird stop being a Hummingbird?" ..Anyway, I've got a short scale AJ. And are you ready for it? It's not rosewood. It's Koa. A different kind of beast. Very loud acoustic. A bit brighter than my other Gibsons, but its own kind of cannon.. At one point I'd thought of selling it, but I get so many compliments on it that I'll likely keep it. ....So, there really are some short scale AJs out there, BUT (like mine), are they really AJs? Whatever they are, they are sweet guitars.

The short scale still keeping the advanced bracing would make for an interesting Gibson. Red333, who treats the forum every year to a finely produced Christmas song video, I believe has a short scale AJ in maple.

If you get one/find an SS AJ, be prepared for requests for an comparison with the long scale rose' AJ.

You know, somewhere along the line one has to ask "When does a Hummingbird stop being a Hummingbird?"

That Pro isn't a Hummingbird - the rose and koa conventional square ones are in the fog, , , so is the small dark'n'orange new flier.

Then we have the Hummingdoves - vintage as contemporary.

Hmmmm, , , not really sure. .

Currently on Reverb.com: Koa back and sides. The specs are wrong, the scale is 24-3/4".

https://reverb.com/item/3937244-gibson-aj-koa-advanced-jumbo-2006-sunburst

And another (and nicer):

https://reverb.com/item/4575142-sale-gibson-custom-shop-advanced-jumbo-2006

Finally, a 12 fret AJ. 25-1/2" scale but the 12 fret should even it out:

https://reverb.com/item/4181387-gibson-limited-edition-advanced-jumbo-12-fret

I tried a long scale Maple AJ not so long ago that still haunts me. SO MUCH dynamic range. Really rich and sweet when played gently or fingerpicked, but hit it hard with a pick and it'll kick your legs out from under you whilst simultaneously giving you a haircut.

I think a short scale RW AJ might be a bit muddy. Short scale Hog or Koa would be game on though!

I may be in the minority but I think short scale boxes need lighter, airier tonewoods to really sing. Rosewood needs long scale to bring out the drama and the boom and clang, to my ears at least.

I may be in the minority but I think short scale boxes need lighter, airier tonewoods to really sing. Rosewood needs long scale to bring out the drama and the boom and clang, to my ears at least.

That's an interesting take, and one that's hard to argue with. Listen to the difference between a good D-28 and a good D-18 to hear that difference at work. I have one short scale rosewood guitar, but it's also a 000 body, so it's hard to draw conclusions. Rosewood seems to really come alive with a long-scale dread, whether it's an AJ or a D-28.

My next guitar (assuming there is one) is likely to be one of those two.

I tried a long scale Maple AJ not so long ago that still haunts me. SO MUCH dynamic range. Really rich and sweet when played gently or fingerpicked, but hit it hard with a pick and it'll kick your legs out from under you whilst simultaneously giving you a haircut.

I think a short scale RW AJ might be a bit muddy. Short scale Hog or Koa would be game on though!

'' .... it'll kick your legs out from under you whilst simultaneously giving you a haircut."

Another example of a true wordsmith at work.

(sort of reminded me of my first day in Bootcamp."

I have a good cross section of rosewood guitars, makes, body styles and scale lengths. I agree to your statement above with the exception that lighter gage strings seem to sound better on the Gibson short scales. Just my opinion.

Funny, but the very reason I'm just coming off of a run of rosewood mania is due to the ability of the short scale round-shouldered Gibson to keep the rose' out of the mud. I'd tried and tried to fall for the long scale slot head HD-28VS guitars, but the long scale Martin (as opposed to the 000, which isn't exactly known for being a strummer), even with it's round shoulders, couldn't project enough to tighten the sound and avoid the mud.

And I agree about the maple AJ

FrYDRrT.jpg

Funny, but the very reason I'm just coming off of a run of rosewood mania is due to the ability of the short scale round-shouldered Gibson to keep the rose' out of the mud. I'd tried and tried to fall for the long scale slot head HD-28VS guitars, but the long scale Martin (as opposed to the 000, which isn't exactly known for being a strummer), even with it's round shoulders, couldn't project enough to tighten the sound and avoid the mud.

And I agree about the maple AJ

FrYDRrT.jpg

62, that pic is giving me ALL kinds of GAS!!

Archived