Gibson Brands Forums

Used Up......

Murph

I'm no Jinder, and AnneS and some of the rest of you have some pretty impressive recordings as well.

I'm just the resident Redneck, so I used an old picture (very old......) with another Redneck buddy of mine.

Hope everyone is having a safe Memorial Day.

I'm still struggling with getting what you've got going on there.

I forgot.

iPad mini.

Garageband.

Apogee mic (topheavy little bestard.....)

Channel 1 is rhythm guitar (J-45RW/ebony) and lead vocal

Channel 2 is lead guitar and harmony vocal

Channel 3 is mandolin

Channel 4 is banjo

Channel 5 is bass (Mexican Jazz through the Carvin AG100D, Apogee mic at about 4 feet)

Channel 6 is an old custom built Opus snare drum (hand built and hand delivered by Darrell Johnson for the Double Aught cd) with brushes.

Thanks for the kind words, all.

I forgot.

iPad mini.

Garageband.

Apogee mic (topheavy little bestard.....)

Channel 1 is rhythm guitar (J-45RW/ebony) and lead vocal

Channel 2 is lead guitar and harmony vocal

Channel 3 is mandolin

Channel 4 is banjo

Channel 5 is bass (Mexican Jazz through the Carvin AG100D, Apogee mic at about 4 feet)

Channel 6 is an old custom built Opus snare drum (hand built and hand delivered by Darrell Johnson for the Double Aught cd) with brushes.

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Is there any way to record vocals on one track , guitar on a second track simultaneously?

Playing live and allowing them to add reverb and magic to the vocal without addin itnto the guitar ...

Is there any way to record vocals on one track , guitar on a second track simultaneously?

Playing live and allowing them to add reverb and magic to the vocal without addin itnto the guitar ...

I have no idea. I don't think so with my iPad/Garageband setup.

Sal is far more knowledgeable than I am about Garageband, I'm still a hack. Perhaps him or someone else will see this and chim in.

I have no idea. I don't think so with my iPad/Garageband setup.

Sal is far more knowledgeable than I am about Garageband, I'm still a hack. Perhaps him or someone else will see this and chim in.

Geez. You don't sound like a hack

Don't sell yerself short

Not unless your're really really tall and can play guitar with your toes.

You can always isolate the guitar by recording straight from the p/u output with no external mic, but your vocal mic will pick up some guitar, depending on how far you can separate, physically and directionally, the guitar from the vocal mic while you're playing.

How much bleed is too much, is the question, and that will depend on how much reverb, etc, you add to the vocal track and whether the guitar-only track covers up any undesireable affects that the vocal track processing has on the (hopefully, much quieter) guitar bleed.

If you've never tried it, let me say how surprised I was to find how easy it was to lay down a guitar-only track (mic'd as desired) and come back and record a vocal-only track on top of it. I thought I could never do it, thought I'd loose the unconcious expression--and what I'd always thought was the source of the "magic"-- if I de-coupled the playing and the singing.

Nope. It's so doable, and it made me realize how easy singers have it, relatively speaking.

But if you want to record and be able to give the vocals different treatment with no danger of guitar bleed, gotta do separate, sequential tracking. But if you do simultaneous multi tracks, your set-up has to minimize the guitar bleed and you'll have to see, when you mix, what you have. You could be fine, depending on your variables.

Absolutely love this!! So much vibe and everything's beautifully recorded and present in the mix. That Apogee mic sounds beautifully crisp, what model is it?

He's very good isn't he

Humble ,

but you're no stranger to a studio jinder and had a few albums to your name ... not a lot of difference 'studio quality wise' is there

Mine always sounds as it is , a guy in a spare room in his house 😐

Mine always sounds as it is , a guy in a spare room in his house 😐

Many of us are just that "hacks" Murph is not a hack

Yours sounds just fine the way you are recording grunt. Mine is in a spare room of the house.

Not unless your're really really tall and can play guitar with your toes.

You can always isolate the guitar by recording straight from the p/u output with no external mic, but your vocal mic will pick up some guitar, depending on how far you can separate, physically and directionally, the guitar from the vocal mic while you're playing.

How much bleed is too much, is the question, and that will depend on how much reverb, etc, you add to the vocal track and whether the guitar-only track covers up any undesireable affects that the vocal track processing has on the (hopefully, much quieter) guitar bleed.

If you've never tried it, let me say how surprised I was to find how easy it was to lay down a guitar-only track (mic'd as desired) and come back and record a vocal-only track on top of it. I thought I could never do it, thought I'd loose the unconcious expression--and what I'd always thought was the source of the "magic"-- if I de-coupled the playing and the singing.

Nope. It's so doable, and it made me realize how easy singers have it, relatively speaking.

But if you want to record and be able to give the vocals different treatment with no danger of guitar bleed, gotta do separate, sequential tracking. But if you do simultaneous multi tracks, your set-up has to minimize the guitar bleed and you'll have to see, when you mix, what you have. You could be fine, depending on your variables.

I know Anne

That is a way of doing it

I grew up with AC/DC , later Dylan and countless others who just played it and hit record ..:

You're trying to capture your songs that you've written , and I'm not taking anything from that , but I'm just wanting to get a little performance

I have of course enjoyed .. er... steely dan , who nearly killed themselves with studio stuff and there's beauty in that too.

HowEVER.

Here's an example of what I'm thinking ..:

Done beyond my capabilities , but an example of a goal

Many of us are just that "hacks" Murph is not a hack

Yours sounds just fine the way you are recording grunt. Mine is in a spare room of the house.

Not to mention, many a fancy recording set-up aims to achieve the sound of a guy in a spare room of his house, so there's that.

That was what I was offering up. What Stu is doing is nothing of any short comings.

That's very nice walker

But you hear the difference , I like Murphs sound , clarity, balance and lack of any sort of hint that his performance has been tinkered with

But listen to the link I posted .

Man with a guitar , 2 mics and a beautiful sound , 'ambience'

And vocal 'treated' different than the guitar track

Not looking for something really studio , but just separate vocal from guitar .

Which i can't believe is misisng from such a great piece of software such as GarageBand

I hear what your saying. I guess some just have the knack of mixing while some of us are just the guys in the room of a house. The only way I would know to achieve what your wanting to do in GarageBand is just lay and acoustic track down and then come back with a vocal track to get your 2 tracks. Ive never been even close to a recording studio. I would imagine an acoustic player would be playing in another room while the vocalist would have headphones on in another room, again I assume.

I hear what your saying. I guess some just have the knack of mixing while some of us are just the guys in the room of a house. The only way I would know to achieve what your wanting to do in GarageBand is just lay and acoustic track down and then come back with a vocal track to get your 2 tracks. Ive never been even close to a recording studio. I would imagine an acoustic player would be playing in another room while the vocalist would have headphones on in another room, again I assume.

I hear ya

But watch the video

Archived