Gibson Brands Forums

Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary

darling67

Hmmm...

From Wikipedia:

The album has also sold more than 20 million copies worldwide and is the best-selling debut album of all time for a solo artist. Some Gave All was also the best-selling album of 1992 in the US with 4.7 million copies sold

And RIAA has the two albums pretty close in sales, and the Beatles had a 25 year head start! :rolleyes:

WXxqGpHl.png

jqW7pZGl.png

In fact, the RIAA site in quite interesting. Garth Brooks has three albums that have outsold Sgt. Pepper, Shania Twain has two, even Britney Spears has outsold Sgt. Pepper.

I'm often mildly surprised at what musicians don't know about the music business.

rct

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL Surf I really don't understand you're fascination with Billy Ray. Nobody ever stated Pepper was the best selling album ever. Heck it isn't even the Beatles best seller. My comment back on the first page was simply to state the obvious. That it was both a critical and commercial success even if it wasn't everyone's top pick when considering all of the Fab's records.

LOL Surf I really don't understand you're fascination with Billy Ray. Nobody ever stated Pepper was the best selling album ever. Heck it isn't even the Beatles best seller. My comment back on the first page was simply to state the obvious. That it was both a critical and commercial success even if it wasn't everyone's top pick when considering all of the Fab's records.

If you look at the total population differences and the percentage of people buying a particular artist. For example in feb and Mar 1964 66% of all music sales was the music of the Beatles. That is US sales I believe.

Simple, sales and/or airplay have absolutely nothing to do with quality. The Beatles were POPular enough in '67 to have a recording of their farts go gold. And the critics may have even loved it.

We all have music that we prefer over other music, and using commercial success as a measure seems silly to me given the obvious crap (Cyrus, Spears, etc.) that has sold millions.

Simple, sales and/or airplay have absolutely nothing to do with quality. The Beatles were POPular enough in '67 to have a recording of their farts go gold. And the critics may have even loved it.

We all have music that we prefer over other music, and using commercial success as a measure seems silly to me given the obvious crap (Cyrus, Spears, etc.) that has sold millions.

Ummmmmm whatever. I never said anything about quality of music as its relates to success. My point that Pepper was successful on many fronts and I don't know how you would deny that.

I don't think any of us would disagree with your statement about crap that sells well is not everyone's cup of tea. \:D/

Archived