Gibson Brands Forums

Sgt. Pepper's 50th Anniversary

darling67

Though not as successful as Billy Ray Cyrus which is not likely on anyone's greatest albums list - nor will it ever be. That was my point... the disconnect between record sales and quality is vast and real. So describing it as a commercial success doesn't necessarily put it in great company. There are much better (though perhaps less objective measures) that speak to that albums long term "success".

For example there is little argument that the studio wizardry contained in those grooves inspired many to similar endeavors. You could argue also that the freedom given the artists on that (somewhat self-indulgent) record inspired others similarly. Even the album art ushered in a new era of creativity.

Just curious, where it ranks in your own Beatles album favorites? Is it their best in your opinion?

For me it constantly changes depending on my mood. But if I was pressed to rank my favorite top 5....

1 Revolver

2 Abbey Road

3 Rubber Soul

4 The Beatles

5 Sgt. Pepper

I will say that this new version of Pepper finally sounds as grand as the extravagant cover it came in. There's a fullness to the production that was always missing in the stereo versions I have owned. I'm really impressed with Giles Martin's work on this one. I think his Dad would be too.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow I didn't know either and I will definitely get this. I can't believe it's been 50 years. I had the original and it was stolen from me in 72 when I was 12 along with Yesterday and today that had the cover steamed off to reveal the dead babies. I think that one was why my albums were stolen. Then I got another copy from my cousin that had a pristine insert, the one with the cut out mustache. It was ruined in a flood around 89. Last year a colleague of mine from the UK gave me another one with a pristine insert. I have it in a safe.

Well you'll get another pristine insert in this one. It also comes with a hardback book, Beatles poster and a copy of the circus poster that inspired Mr.Kite.

For me it constantly changes depending on my mood. But if I was pressed to rank my favorite top 5....

1 Revolver

2 Abbey Road

3 Rubber Soul

4 The Beatles

5 Sgt. Pepper

I will say that this new version of Pepper finally sounds as grand as the extravagant cover it came in. There's a fullness to the production that was always missing in the stereo versions I have owned. I'm really impressed with Giles Martin's work on this one. I think his Dad would be too.

Nice. Identical to my own order. And mine doesn't seem to change. I'll have to get this new recording and compare it to the old CD release. I wonder if any more are set for remixing by Giles?

Cheesy video, cheesy pop singer out front, but MAN this was a great song. Wish I wrote it. Saw these guys do this live, great band and he sang pretty good, got that growl real well live. I think from his second record:

rct

1 Revolver

2 Abbey Road

3 Rubber Soul

4 The Beatles

5 Sgt. Pepper

Mine is similar but take out Rubber Soul and put in Let it Be.. :)

Nice. Identical to my own order. And mine doesn't seem to change. I'll have to get this new recording and compare it to the old CD release. I wonder if any more are set for remixing by Giles?

Shoot man I've had times where all I wanna listen to is Please Please Me for the raw unrefined sound of their younger days. Loved every little thing they did.

See what I did there?

I thought Love by George and Giles was great. My daughter gave it to me on Father's Day when it came out.

My 5

Abbey Road

Hey Jude (I know not a real album but I love it)

The Beatles (White Album)

Meet the Beatles

Revolver

I just downloaded it- called deluxe version still says released in 67. A lot like the anthology that George Martin did. Great to hear the basic guitar playing. Getting Better is such a great song.

Cheesy video, cheesy pop singer out front, but MAN this was a great song. Wish I wrote it. Saw these guys do this live, great band and he sang pretty good, got that growl real well live. I think from his second record:

rct

Let's not overlook the other great thing that came from Billy Ray. Miley... :rolleyes:

Now back to the OP. [biggrin]

For me it's hard to say what my favorite. I was about 2 when they broke up. I never owned a real Beatles album other than Anthology and One. But these days whenever I'm asked who my favorite band is or who was the best, I answer The Beatles. Even for someone who wasn't around for the actual release, I can still appreciate the impact that Sargent Pepper's had. I probably should purchase this one.

Interesting points made about The Beatles, Miley and Billy Ray. Why are the Beatles seen as more credible? They were just a pop band of the 60's and their early records were equally as annoying as anything by Billy or Miley. I'm not much of a fan of the Beatles, Billy or Miley Cyrus, but in credit to Miley she can sing better than Paul, John and George. Someone posted this video of her in the acoustic section of the forum on here a while back and I realised she actually has a really nice voice, just a shame about her usual image and songs. This is a great cover of Jolene.

Interesting points made about The Beatles, Miley and Billy Ray. Why are the Beatles seen as more credible? They were just a pop band of the 60's and their early records were equally as annoying as anything by Billy or Miley. I'm not much of a fan of the Beatles, Billy or Miley Cyrus, but in credit to Miley she can sing better than Paul, John and George. Someone posted this video of her in the acoustic section of the forum on here a while back and I realised she actually has a really nice voice, just a shame about her usual image and songs. This is a great cover of Jolene.

Can't agree with all that.

I agree that Sgt Peppers may be around fith..I have to include the Meet the Beatles and the white albun along with Abbey Road and Revolver. But to me they are like kids they are different but you love them all. Like guitars as well.

For me, it goes like this (and I always base lists on the U.S. Capitol albums):

1.) Revolver

2.) Rubber Soul

3.) The White Album

4.) Magical Mystery Tour

5.) Abbey Road / Sgt. Pepper's (?)

Although it wasn't a "proper" album, I always loved "Yesterday & Today", and could very well place it at #4 or #5. Many Beatle people have vehemently disagreed with me... but I always felt it worked well as an album. Not only that, it also gave us perhaps the most sought-after and treasured Rock and Roll rarity! Without "Y&T", there'd have been no "Butcher" cover.

IMHO, if one doesn't "Get" The Beatles, there's no explaining them. For those of us, who DO "Get" them, there's

no explanation necessary!

There are bands, I've never taken a liking to, as well! And, that's OK! Different strokes, for different folks!

CB

IMHO, if one doesn't "Get" The Beatles, there's no explaining them. For those of us, to DO "Get" them, there's

There are bands, I've never taken a liking to, as well! And, that's OK! Different strokes, for different folks!

CB

Absolutely CB. I've never been a fanboy of Led Zep but I appreciated the talents of all members. I just never pop into a post discussing an artist to say I never liked that said artist.

different strokes...

How did a OP about Sgt. Peppers 50th anniversary get so far off track that it is now about Billy Ray Cyrus, his deviate daughter that abuses stuffed animals on stage, and Garth "Swing from the ceiling with a feather duster in your mud tube or do anything for shock value' Brooks?Wow! msp_flapper.gif

IMHO, if one doesn't "Get" The Beatles, there's no explaining them. For those of us, who DO "Get" them, there's

CB

Well put CB.

Absolutely CB. I've never been a fanboy of Led Zep but I appreciated the talents of all members. I just never pop into a post discussing an artist to say I never liked that said artist.

different strokes...

It was not my intention to offend anyone, I was just expressing my views. The only reason I commented is because I was slightly perplexed as to why people did not see that the Beatles were just as commercial and 'pop' as Billy Ray/ Miley Cyrus and Garth Brooks in their early career, yet people seem to think that these artists are somehow inferior to the Beatles? Obviously Billy and Garth were more 'pop-country' crossover, but still pop. The Beatles did become more interesting and credible post 1965, but before that songs like 'She Loves You', 'Love Me Do' and 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' are the reason many pop artists (that people regularly criticize) exist today. 'Achy Breaky Hearty' could have been a Beatles song if it had been performed in that style and not the country pop style!

Btw, you've never been a fan of Led Zeppelin? Blasphemy! Only joking... I grew up listening to and loving Led Zep, but I also understand why many people don't like them. One of my friends used to say Robert Plant was the worst singer ever and another one of my friends can't stand Jimmy Page, but hey, that's their opinion and I respect that, but I still love Led Zeppelin. If someone wants to comment in a Led Zeppelin appreciation thread that they dislike them that's fine too and creates an interesting debate usually, so long as it's in good humour and doesn't turn nasty.

Anyway, back to the Sgt. Pepper discussion.

Saw a very in depth 'technical' musical evaluation of Sgt Pepper last night on TV.

When I say 'technical', they were talking of how many songs incorporated modulation, or how the Indian percussion (Within You Without You) relates to Western time structure.

It was good & I learned a thing or two. It still doesnt compare to the Arena doc made by Melvyn Bragg (25th Anniversary?) which included George Martin & Paul McCartney going over the session tapes and explaining the process. I think I still have that on videotape somewhere....

Saw a very in depth 'technical' musical evaluation of Sgt Pepper last night on TV.

When I say 'technical', they were talking of how many songs incorporated modulation, or how the Indian percussion (Within You Without You) relates to Western time structure.

It was good & I learned a thing or two. It still doesnt compare to the Arena doc made by Melvyn Bragg (25th Anniversary?) which included George Martin & Paul McCartney going over the session tapes and explaining the process. I think I still have that on videotape somewhere....

The 25th anniversary doc with interviews from George Martin, Paul, George and Ringo is included in this new box set. It is excellent.

Well put CB.

It was not my intention to offend anyone, I was just expressing my views. The only reason I commented is because I was slightly perplexed as to why people did not see that the Beatles were just as commercial and 'pop' as Billy Ray/ Miley Cyrus and Garth Brooks in their early career, yet people seem to think that these artists are somehow inferior to the Beatles? Obviously Billy and Garth were more 'pop-country' crossover, but still pop. The Beatles did become more interesting and credible post 1965, but before that songs like 'She Loves You', 'Love Me Do' and 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' are the reason many pop artists (that people regularly criticize) exist today. 'Achy Breaky Hearty' could have been a Beatles song if it had been performed in that style and not the country pop style!

Btw, you've never been a fan of Led Zeppelin? Blasphemy! Only joking... I grew up listening to and loving Led Zep, but I also understand why many people don't like them. One of my friends used to say Robert Plant was the worst singer ever and another one of my friends can't stand Jimmy Page, but hey, that's their opinion and I respect that, but I still love Led Zeppelin. If someone wants to comment in a Led Zeppelin appreciation thread that they dislike them that's fine too and creates an interesting debate usually, so long as it's in good humour and doesn't turn nasty.

Anyway, back to the Sgt. Pepper discussion.

Clearly the growth of the band and the volume of great songs in only 7 years cast a huge shadow on Brooks and the Cyrus clan. Just my own opinion though. [laugh]

If you can't tell the difference between BR Cyrus and The Beatles you have a larger problem.One is a one hit wonder in cowboy boots, the other is still selling records even though they broke up nearly 50 years ago.The Beatles gave away more hits than Cyrus even recorded

If you can't tell the difference between BR Cyrus and The Beatles you have a larger problem.One is a one hit wonder in cowboy boots, the other is still selling records even though they broke up nearly 50 years ago.The Beatles gave away more hits than Cyrus even recorded

Yes, of course there is a difference in longevity, commercial appeal and creativeness, but that was not really my point. A pop song is a pop song whether it's by the Beatles or one of the Cyrus family. Why mock pop when the Beatles wrote a ton of pop songs?

Not all pop songs are equal.

Yes, they are. It doesn't matter how much money they make, how long they chart, or which genius wrote them. When you start selling music for a living, touring to support it, and making records that are anticipated by your fan base, you are producing music that is pop to someone.

It's all pop, every bit of it. We choose to call certain things we don't like "pop" as though it were slanderous when really, it's all pop.

Dickey was talking to some folks about talking to Gregg about maybe puttin the band together in some fashion. Would they do Ramblin' Man, Jessica, Blue Sky, those "pop" songs that Dickey worked so hard to stay away from for so long? "I'd go back to being a pop band in a second". Money is good, pop sells to somebody, somebody makes you money for your pop, and money is good.

I trust all of you will turn down 7 figures for your next great song because you don't want to be "pop".

rct

Archived