Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think?

Dave F

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are not really guitar people.

They did not list it in the Vintage section and the title may mislead you to think it's one of the modern versions.

I've seen basket cases go for that.

I'll see. I always feel comfortable using eBay and PayPal in case things are not right.

They are not really guitar people.

They did not list it in the Vintage section and the title may mislead you to think it's one of the modern versions.

I've seen basket cases go for that.

I'll see. I always feel comfortable using eBay and PayPal in case things are not right.

Good on you for snatching it. I am a paypal fan. They have always treated me well with any return or reimbursment issues.

However this turns out, it'll be a great opportunity for you to hear if the contribution to tone of 75 year old wood and cured glue is stronger than the effect of any overspray or repairs under the hood.

Let us know if it's the original neck carve; also- that's what a guitar that's had a previous neck set should be expected to look like- lucky you, it's got a truss rod. Divot-free gumwood fretboard looks real nice, pickguard very cool, too. Will be awaiting your report- hopefully, with some natural light photos.

And since dreamin' is free, that requested sound clip would always be appreciated ; ).

That appears to be a real steal. Congratulations!

I'm not so sure the guitar is a 42' though. I have a 1942 J-45 myself (FON is clearly readable so it is easy to date). When I bought it in 2011, I had Willi Henkes of Antique Acoustics do the repairs. I remember him telling me that the early J-45s are distinguished by fancier rosettes and top bindings, as well as a thin center backstrips. He also said they are a little more lightly built than later versions (a feature not easy to distinguish, of course). A mahogany neck with trussrod, as well as a tortoise guard, are also signs of early guitars.

With Gibson, of course, anything goes, but to be a little more sure about the year of your guitar, you can compare its features to other J-45s from the period on Willi's Banner registry site here:

http://www.bannergibsons.com/html-registry.html

For example, here are some good pictures of the backstrip (and a partial rosette picture).

http://www.bannergibsons.com/7721H-2J-45MarcWignall.html

Can you read the FON on yours? Maybe it is on the registry site already, if not I'm sure Willi would like you to drop him an e-mail...

No matter what year your guitar is, it looks like a gem! Please tell us more when you have it in hand.

Lars

I picked up the guitar late last night. Here's my first impression

Calton case is in perfect condition

All the cracks were shown in the sellers pictures and all were cleated and seemed secure

It had been oversprayed everywhere. Black light showed it was nitrocellulose.

The neck had been carved down and was very comfortable.

Some hairline cracks in the headstock.

No FON number tends to make me think it's a '44 or '45

The guitar is playable but needing a neck reset

Neck is straight. Frets look like new. Fret board has been planed and looks good.

Older strings but did a sound comparison to a newer SJ and a J45 Legend. It definitely was louder and the bass notes were a lot clearer.

Off to the luthier this weekend for a second opinion and a neck reset if it stays.

That appears to be a real steal. Congratulations!

I'm not so sure the guitar is a 42' though. I have a 1942 J-45 myself (FON is clearly readable so it is easy to date). When I bought it in 2011, I had Willi Henkes of Antique Acoustics do the repairs. I remember him telling me that the early J-45s are distinguished by fancier rosettes and top bindings, as well as a thin center backstrips. He also said they are a little more lightly built than later versions (a feature not easy to distinguish, of course). A mahogany neck with trussrod, as well as a tortoise guard, are also signs of early guitars.

With Gibson, of course, anything goes, but to be a little more sure about the year of your guitar, you can compare its features to other J-45s from the period on Willi's Banner registry site here:

http://www.bannergibsons.com/html-registry.html

For example, here are some good pictures of the backstrip (and a partial rosette picture).

http://www.bannergibsons.com/7721H-2J-45MarcWignall.html

Can you read the FON on yours? Maybe it is on the registry site already, if not I'm sure Willi would like you to drop him an e-mail...

No matter what year your guitar is, it looks like a gem! Please tell us more when you have it in hand.

Lars

Comparing w/my '42, all you mention is accurate - rosette, top binding, and backstrip conform to the description, as well as the tortoise guard, hog neck, and t/r.

All in all, owning ANY banner is cause for celebration!

All the cracks were shown in the sellers pictures and all were cleated and seemed secure

Neck is straight. Frets look like new. Fret board has been planed and looks good.

Older strings but did a sound comparison to a newer SJ and a J45 Legend. It definitely was louder and the bass notes were a lot clearer.

Off to the luthier this weekend for a second opinion and a neck reset if it stays.

Can hardly wait for the next installment!😁

Yeah yuh!

Congrats!

I do agree with you and Lars that the J-45 is not a '42. The rosette gives it away. The 1942 version had a seven ply rosette. I believe '42 is the only year with that feature. But a Banner is a very special guitar. They only existed in a certain time and place.

Even with the modifications, need for a neck reset and shaved neck I would say you did OK on the price. The Calton case alone sells used in the $800 range. I paid $3200 for my '42 which had lost its finish, had a replaced pickguard and bridge, a broken back brace and several others that were loose, and five open cracks in the back. About the only thing it did not need was a neck reset. Spent a year with the repair guy and set me back $900.

Here is a rosette on my 1942 Banner.

013_zpsu6y5tqbk.jpg

It is probably a 43 or even a 42. The tuner placement shows an early model, but the pick guard would late in the early period -- so probably 43.

Best,

-Tom

Good photos. . but you gotta get away from the spam-laden pop up land of photobucket! Was the last pic in the panel showing some evidence of a neck block stamp?

A good reminder from tpbiii about tuner placement being, what, further away from the logo on the earlier years?

Congrats!

I do agree with you and Lars that the J-45 is not a '42. The rosette gives it away. The 1942 version had a seven ply rosette. I believe '42 is the only year with that feature. But a Banner is a very special guitar. They only existed in a certain time and place.

The rosette on my '42 also has an extra outer ring, in addition to the seven ply. So it seems the design was simplified as time passed.

You can see the ring here.

Also note, my guitar has a late style J-35 bridge with a short saddle. Gibson did some weird stuff during the war!

DSC_0186_zps85228b7a.jpg

Lars

Archived