Gibson Brands Forums

'Nam Nostalgia!

Digger

IMG_1458_zps1ivj03jo.jpgThese are Australian army boots from the Vietnam War era and issued to me there. I apologise for the crappy phone photo.

I thought I'd misplaced these until we were doing some clearing out this week. These were boots issued to me about a week before I came home from Vietnam. (I always made a point of keeping in good with the quartermaster and the cook!)

I wore them about 2 weeks in total before being discharged as my enlistment had finished. Soles are crisp and sharp still and they even smell new. I doubt they have been cleaned since then either. I can see traces of red dust on the soles even now.

That was September 1968 which means that later this year I will have had them for 49 years!

What is so special about these boots apart from the nostalgia, well quality for one! You seldom see stuff this well made these days. Secondly they had a S/S plate covering the sole to protect from Viet Cong booby traps! The "Noggies used to dig holes where they thought we would walk and line them with sharpended bamboo stakes, additionally they's dip the stakes in human faeces to ensure infection. In some cases this caused medivac to a base hospital for recovery. A cheap weapon hey?

Because of the uniqueness of these boots they were in high demand in country and I could have had the choice of a range of handguns for a pair of these!

Now I intend to wear them when out stalking rabbits around the property as recently I almost stood on a large Red Bellied Black Snake whilst my attention was around me looking for well camouflaged bunnies. it was close and he was a big snake who would not have been happy if I'd trodden on him!

They are not normally aggressive but I reckon if I'd been wearing these boots they would have protected me!

Gael has bet me $100 that they won't fit so I will sneak a try before I accept the bet!!! It's alright I wouldn't take her money anyway~

So that's the story of my "mint" "Boots GP, Troops for the use of"

Those look like the same boots that the Marine Corps issued while I was in from 1978-83. After several moves over the years in government service, we settled in the Austin area in 2012 after I retired. With that being our final move, we ended up going through all kinds of stuff that had followed us around over the years, but had been largely ignored. One thing was a sea bag full of old combat boots, camouflage utilities, covers (caps) and other uniform items that I hadn't seen in years. Quite a trip down memory lane.

Those look like the same boots that the Marine Corps issued while I was in from 1978-83. After several moves over the years in government service, we settled in the Austin area in 2012 after I retired. With that being our final move, we ended up going through all kinds of stuff that had followed us around over the years, but had been largely ignored. One thing was a sea bag full of old combat boots, camouflage utilities, covers (caps) and other uniform items that I hadn't seen in years. Quite a trip down memory lane.

These were made in Oz though I doubt boots for services nowadays are still made in country. Nostalgic indeed!

Now you've got me wanting to locate some of my USMC stuff from Nam. I know there's a seabag packed w/ripstop utilities (green - there wasn't much camo around back then) and a few other items that survived the PTSD purge. I know my wife has a few items like my EGA Zippo and such, but I really don't have too much inclination to revisit them just now. Still, I'd like to know how far I've come from fitting into stuff in the last 50 years....

Now you've got me wanting to locate some of my USMC stuff from Nam. I know there's a seabag packed w/ripstop utilities (green - there wasn't much camo around back then) and a few other items that survived the PTSD purge. I know my wife has a few items like my EGA Zippo and such, but I really don't have too much inclination to revisit them just now. Still, I'd like to know how far I've come from fitting into stuff in the last 50 years....

When I went through MCRD (August-November 1978) we were issued two sets of sateen utilities and two sets of camouflage utilities. We wore the sateens most of the time, except for infantry training at Camp Pendelton, when we wore cammies. After boot camp, sateens were optional until around mid-1979, when they were phased out completely. Cammies were more practical in the field (coloring and extra pockets), but freshly starched and pressed sateens were sharper looking and more durable. Plus it took awhile for cammie covers to make it to the FMF. So there was a time when we wore camoflauge blouses and trousers with sateen covers. Needless to say, that looked pretty silly. [crying]

They look like my Harley boots which I have worn out about 4 or 5 pairs just in everyday use. I bet you could sell those on eBay for some good change...

Possibly Dave but I dont need the money so they will stay with me for now.

alot cooler than what some guys brought home from vietnam. i knew several vets from there. none of them are around anymore though. i hope all is well for you.

I have problems regarding health with a couple of my kids, one of them very serious and of course I have the same problems other Vietnam Vets have. As you suggested I'm probably one of the lucky ones because I'm still kicking!

So have you tried them on yet to see if they still fit? I'm interested in that since you almost stepped on a poisonous snake the other day and those boots would help you out a great deal.

Yes Butch but they are a bit tight and I don't know if that is my feet changed or if the boots were never fully broken in? I had to get one on though because Gael bet me $100 they wouldn't fit...Grin~

Yeah that snake wouldn't have like being stepped on alright. He knew I was there because his body flattened out. They also flatten and enlarge their "hoods" a bit like a Cobra when they are defensive.

1496619174[/url]' post='1859979']

Yes Butch but they are a bit tight and I don't know if that is my feet changed or if the boots were never fully broken in? I had to get one on though because Gael bet me $100 they wouldn't fit...Grin~

Yeah that snake wouldn't have like being stepped on alright. He knew I was there because his body flattened out. They also flatten and enlarge their "hoods" a bit like a Cobra when they are defensive.

Wow, but not an aggressive snake I think you said. That's one thing I don't like is snakes. I know they have their place and eat mice and rats and such but I would not enjoy a poisonous snake getting that close to the house.

Wow, but not an aggressive snake I think you said. That's one thing I don't like is snakes. I know they have their place and eat mice and rats and such but I would not enjoy a poisonous snake getting that close to the house.

We've had them living in the bushes just off the verandah!!

I've got to move some sheets of roofing iron up near the chook pen today and I suspect there will be snakes under them.

It's cold weather so they shouldn't be too active if in fact there are some there.

I could take my single shot 12 gauge but instead I might opt for my fully automatic long handled shovel as protection...Grin~

Got it done and nary a snake sighted!

If ever there was going to be a place to find a snake it's under roofing iron left lying on the ground.

See it's not dangerous here at all!

Archived