Gibson Brands Forums

Prayers for London

jaxson50

that's my point right there. if it's a guitar forum that doesn't want political discussion, then so be it. i'm fine with that. but when you have posts like this one there are only 3 possibilities:

1) it gets political, and people talk about it until they have their fill.

2) it's a useless pity-party

3) it gets ignored

with option 1 it often gets heated and sometimes people go to far. pointing this out has no value. any child can immediately understand the staff and some members reluctance to introduce that to a steady-state environment like this one. i fully understand that just because i will participate, lots of people don't want the associated events that are sure to follow. there's no way gibson as a company, would allow themselves to be associated with that sort of controversy anyhow. i wasn't suggesting they open a political forum.

with option 2, i see no value in this. when was the last time you can point to a verifiable instance where someone was brought back from the dead, or their injury healed by hashtags, fuzzy wishes, and prayers? ain't nobody got a monopoly on sorrow. victim's families know a grief we hopefully never will be able to fathom. no expression of grief found on this forum will help them one iota. that's fact. as pointed out earlier, some of us had a pretty good day. even the worst of us wouldn't trade places with the families of those victims. are we all so emotionally weak that we need a pity party for ourselves when none of us were involved?

sure it's sad. it angers me too.

and for the record, i had an awesome day too. i attended my granddaughter's 6th birthday party, hung out with my grandson, finally got to see my own son after 4 years (just returned to the usa last weekend) and if that wasn't cool enough, i finally got to eat biscuits and gravy after 10 years, which is my fav thing. my whole week has been like this.

all i'm saying is, if were not going to discuss politics, lets not discuss things that can only be discussed in a political way. it's not fair to allow some people to express their opinion on something without allowing opinions that are dissimilar. what you have at that point, is not a discussion.

either way, i don't want to make people angry. i just want to try and make people understand where i'm coming from.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

either way, i don't want to make people angry. i just want to try and make people understand where i'm coming from.

The two are mutually exclusive because A, this isn't a political forum and politics is a banned subject, and B, Most people seem to agree that your insistence on making the discussion political is disrespectful to those killed and injured. This thread was started to express respect for the dead and caring for those who survived them. I can't believe you don't see that.

all i'm saying is, if were not going to discuss politics, lets not discuss things that can only be discussed in a political way.

This is where it all goes to crap. There are elements of our culture that can't discuss anything without it becoming political. If I want to do that, I'll waste three hours having dinner with my old man. If you are having problems in social situations and you can't put yer finger on it, it may just be that like here, you are the only one in the room that can't discuss things without them becoming political.

i just want to try and make people understand where i'm coming from.

With the exception of guitars and using them I don't give a crap where you are coming from and I don't expect you to give a crap about where I'm coming from. A buncha kids got killed at a concert, what's so hard about knowing where each other is coming from about that with just a few words and not another Executive Order on How Bad Everyone Else Is?

rct

Thoughts for the families and friends of those most deeply affected and very best hopes and wishes for those injured who might still pull through.

I know the doctors and nurses will be doing their utmost - as always.

P.

why bother even discussing this here? you can't say anything that might offend some sjw or they'll cry and the thread will be locked just like the last time.

they don't seem to be willing to open a forum for political discussion. there is no point even having these kids of post because the idea someone might be offended is more important than having a discussion containing viewpoints not everyone will agree with. besides, in a few days it will be some other attack somewhere else anyway.

What is an "sjw"?

why bother even discussing this here? you can't say anything that might offend some sjw or they'll cry and the thread will be locked just like the last time.

they don't seem to be willing to open a forum for political discussion. there is no point even having these kids of post because the idea someone might be offended is more important than having a discussion containing viewpoints not everyone will agree with. besides, in a few days it will be some other attack somewhere else anyway.

Welcome to the Gibson Forum.

We don't argue about anything political here, as pathetic as it might seem. And you don't get to change the rules. And we already know how foolish we all are because we've been told before by a bunch of other guys that aren't here anymore. It's not like we can't take it. I used to have to argue with people for a living about real stuff that made a difference. We have the rules so people like me don't have to listen to people like you making trouble over nothing. That's not so hard to accept. [thumbup]

I bought a cookie jar, sugar bowl, and salt/pepper shakers this weekend for five bucks. My wife won't let me have them in the kitchen though.

First-off; You were robbed blind.

Secondly; Your wife is clearly a woman of taste and discernment.

Pip.

i'm not sure if it's my lack of eloquence or a serious deficiency of reading comprehension by those of you responding, but none of you seem to notice that i clearly stated i was not advocating a political discussion forum. maybe a combination of both?

in my own defense, i did state several reasons why there couldn't be a political forum here.

the entire intent of my last post was to explain that, also to clear up why i posted what i did previously, and in my own way let people know that i wasn't trying to cause a big to-do or create a bunch of hard feelings. that's it, that's all there was to it, and nothing more.

maybe i don't understand you all either, because it comes across as though you all can only respond with an aggressive tactic to shut down anything i say at all on the subject, political or not. but again, that type of behavior is not a discussion. this IS a discussion board. so if i DON'T understand, and you really AREN'T trying to unilaterally trying to shut down anything at all i have to say, know that unlike some of you, i AM trying to figure it out. i really don't get why expecting the same in return is such a big deal.

a conversation only allowing others to parrot what someone else says is not a discussion. it's a little nazi-esque to continue hammering on a concept i touched on in one post, as a response to a completely different post with entirely different content and intent. do you guys actually know how to have a conversation, or do you only know how to yell louder than someone else? that is the EXACT behavior displayed in the movie idiocracy. is that really who you want to be?

i'm not sure if it's my lack of eloquence or a serious deficiency of reading comprehension by those of you responding, but none of you seem to notice that i clearly stated i was not advocating a political discussion forum. maybe a combination of both?

in my own defense, i did state several reasons why there couldn't be a political forum here.

the entire intent of my last post was to explain that, also to clear up why i posted what i did previously, and in my own way let people know that i wasn't trying to cause a big to-do or create a bunch of hard feelings. that's it, that's all there was to it, and nothing more.

maybe i don't understand you all either, because it comes across as though you all can only respond with an aggressive tactic to shut down anything i say at all on the subject, political or not. but again, that type of behavior is not a discussion. this IS a discussion board. so if i DON'T understand, and you really AREN'T trying to unilaterally trying to shut down anything at all i have to say, know that unlike some of you, i AM trying to figure it out. i really don't get why expecting the same in return is such a big deal.

a conversation only allowing others to parrot what someone else says is not a discussion. it's a little nazi-esque to continue hammering on a concept i touched on in one post, as a response to a completely different post with entirely different content and intent. do you guys actually know how to have a conversation, or do you only know how to yell louder than someone else? that is the EXACT behavior displayed in the movie idiocracy. is that really who you want to be?

Nobody is yelling. Having a guitar forum create boundaries based on the stated purpose of the forum(s) is nothing like the movie idiocracy. Would you like to join me on Breitbart or Drudge or Slate or Politico for a well meaning conversation on post 1974 Les Paul tenon lengths? Probably not, because if you are at one of those places you are there to do something else. It isn't hard at all buddy, and as mentioned earlier, the only ones that don't seem able to hang are no longer here.

rct

So why every time one of these threads comes up do you feel the need to yet again to get political.....?

The answer is simple... The next time one of these so called pity parties comes up(as you call it), knowing you cant talk politics IGNORE IT..... Your posts show no respect for people who have lost their life or people effected by it and no respect for the forum.. Do you not understand... These attacks are random, it could be any one of us killed the next time it happens. Its called empathy...

So why every time one of these threads comes up do you feel the need to yet again to get political.....?

The answer is simple... The next time one of these so called pity parties comes up(as you call it), knowing you cant talk politics IGNORE IT.....

Amen!

Guest Farnsbarns

First-off; You were robbed blind.

Secondly; Your wife is clearly a woman of taste and discernment.

Pip.

Yes, they are a bit.. erm... 'kin hideous aren't they. [biggrin]

I bought a cookie jar, sugar bowl, and salt/pepper shakers this weekend for five bucks. My wife won't let me have them in the kitchen though.

18881870_1677439198963616_2327869538671261120_n.jpg?oh=33e4adec2b439c27e855ee3b10490897&oe=599EAB59

Dude.... those are so creepy. No way those would be in my house. They just scream, "EVIL!". [unsure] :o

And what are they all looking at to their right? :-k

1496713324[/url]' post='1860227']

Dude.... those are so creepy. No way those would be in my house. They just scream, "EVIL!". [unsure] :o

And what are they all looking at to their right? :-k

That made me laugh! msp_flapper.gif They don't look spooky to me but it reminded me of way back when a guy I worked with wanted me to paint a picture of a white snow owl for his sister. She was spooked by snow owls. So I did but I did the eyes in a way to follow you in the room so no matter where you walked, the eyes would follow you. Then to add to it after I painted them realistic. I went over them several coats with a clear florestic paint. You couldn't tell in the day time but at night when the lights were dimmed or turned off, the eyes would glow in the dark. Then those eyes followed Patty and she freaked out. She had nightmares and was terrified of it. Steve told me all about it and eventually she had to take it down! msp_sneaky.gif Ha ha.

1496714781[/url]' post='1860229']

That made me laugh! msp_flapper.gif They don't look spooky to me but it reminded me of way back when a guy I worked with wanted me to paint a picture of a white snow owl for his sister. She was spooked by snow owls. So I did but I did the eyes in a way to follow you in the room so no matter where you walked, the eyes would follow you. Then to add to it after I painted them realistic. I went over them several coats with a clear florestic paint. You couldn't tell in the day time but at night when the lights were dimmed or turned off, the eyes would glow in the dark. Then those eyes followed Patty and she freaked out. She had nightmares and was terrified of it. Steve told me all about it and eventually she had to take it down! msp_sneaky.gif Ha ha.

Sure wish I had your talent for painting,always was a bit jealous of those who can create with paint.

Archived