Gibson Brands Forums

All This Sgt. Pepper Stuff......

Murph

Sgt. Pepper was the only Beatles LP I did not rush out and buy immediately upon its release. I just did not like it near as much as Rubber Soul and Revolver.

The songs are much stronger on RS and R IMHO. I did rush out and buy Sgt. Pepper at the time, but with more listens over these many years it feels like more of a gimmick album to me. I also respect all the work that went into it. I just don't think the songs measure up.

Loooong ago I made the decision that all the Beatles-albums are fantastic - or rather it happened by itself.

After falling into the bowl as a 5 year old it was just how I felt while swimming around down or up there.

As a grown up (or something like it) this feeling remained the same. As I grew, the universe expanded.

Still think the amazing string of records present itself like a suite of rooms. Convincing individual chambers, which know and shine upon each other.

Ever opening new sights, sounds, colours, textures and atmospheres. Daring, limitless, seductive.

All kinds of things happen as you travel, sometimes from track to track, , , for every new turned stone another genre, idea or conceptual vision is found

, , , then suddenly a song from the absolutely young pre-contract years appears on a late LP or a late song revitalizes the vibe of 1950's inspired roots.

3-4 minutes later starts a trip no one took before.

To use a peppered term and call the entire oeuvre kaleidoscopic may be klichéish, but never the less. . . .

So let's quote Lennon and say :

. . . . . . . . . . . . It's like a flower, , , it's all there

'How about the Penny Lane / Strawberry Fields single, , , ?' FF/PL and Good Vibes somehow distilled a psychedelic vibe into the form of a pop single. Neither of the attendant LPS quite delivered. But then, the Dead never did either, via single or LP. The shows, tho....

re the Dead ...

Oh, yes, the shows... But you sort of had to be there...
Heh. Actually, much rewarding listening on the reissue series, if one has the patience for it (one needs to let go not only of 3 chords and the truth, but three minutes!).

Indeed interesting to see the Pepper thread turn into it's absolute counterpoint - Grateful Dead.

I feel like walking the full distance and post the over 10 minutes long 2-chord Franklin's Tower, but can't find the stellar version I got on pirate CD.

No prob, , , just choose this one instead.

My earliest Dead-peak experienced during the deep night they broadcasted live-rock from Essen Germany to all Europe more than 35 years ago.

Sugaree lives on Garcia's solo-LP Deal - here like many times before the band takes it further.

Have to say it blew my mind back then - must have been half stoned, , , not peppered.

Especially the 3 solos make it up under the moon. The old Capitan really wants to tell us something.

Listen, , , hear him climb, , if you got the time. .

March 1981 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld4wCgARzv0 , , , and no sergeant, not even a corporal in sight.

Now back to Lancashire

As a huge music fan The Beatles has of course not passed me by, and I can appreciate the genius of the songs and production. However, on a personal level their music has never touched me. I have always found that, for me, when it comes to music, less is more. My taste in music was set when I as a fourteen-year-old bought Springsteen's Nebraska. An album full of simple three chord songs, actually recorded as a home demo. The album was raw, and felt so incredibly real to me. I had not heard that kind of music before, and it has influenced my preferences ever since. So while I find the songwriting and production artistry of the old Pepper fascinating, it has never been able to convert my soul.

With all that said, I'm greatly thankful for the groundbreaking efforts of the Fab Four, and how they inspired and paved the way for future generations.

Lars

By the way, I rented the Ron Howard movie about the Beatles and their touring years a while back. Very, very good!

As a huge music fan The Beatles has of course not passed me by, and I can appreciate the genius of the songs and production. However, on a personal level their music has never touched me. I have always found that, for me, when it comes to music, less is more. My taste in music was set when I as a fourteen-year-old bought Springsteen's Nebraska. An album full of simple three chord songs, actually recorded as a home demo. The album was raw, and felt so incredibly real to me. I had not heard that kind of music before, and it has influenced my preferences ever since. So while I find the songwriting and production artistry of the old Pepper fascinating, it has never been able to convert my soul.

With all that said, I'm greatly thankful for the groundbreaking efforts of the Fab Four, and how they inspired and paved the way for future generations.

Lars

By the way, I rented the Ron Howard movie about the Beatles and their touring years a while back. Very, very good!

Interesting point. It may merit a new thread....

• 4 months later...

It was 50 years ago, etc.etc.....

Sirius Beatle channel has been blathering away all week, and then I saw a PBS (begging for money) special last night.

What they did with George Martin and Co. back in those days with 4 track machines WAS truly remarkable, but one thing missing from all of this is the "WHY".

And I'll give it to Paul (and Ringo), for never really elaborating about the need and being pretty darned humble.

I truly feel, even then, that they knew this run was going to be ending sooner than later and that they had built a reputation that was not yet on tape. "Pet Sounds" was to be a thorn in Paul's (and surely John's) side and they absolutely HAD to create a Masterpiece. The show I saw last night said they spent 55 studio hours on "Strawberry Fields" which was during the same sessions.

I also think this kind of production is what led them to want to do "Let It Be" much more naked. But, they simply couldn't let it end on that note. (although it still sort of did.....)

Still, what they did at the time, with the equipment available is pretty darned impressive and goes beyond just music. Some of it truly was a painting, a portrait of "time".....

A little late to the party.... I watched the special and really enjoyed it. In the beginning, I found Goodall annoying, and thought he went out of his way to be in the spotlight (I also thought some of the sets were pretty bad). But once he started talking about the specifics of the music (the fact that "She's Leaving Home" is modal, e.g.), he won me over. Really good show worth watching.

I am among the people who believe Sgt. Pepper is a mastercrown that shook modern culture and instantly became a game-changer of the highest format.

With shorter or longer breaks, the record has been on the grammophone all my life - latest last Saturday where a couple of old friends dropped by for an all-nite session. The title-track naturally was played on max volume ^ Harrisons gem half as loud.

Could speak for ages about the peppered Sergeant, but won't, hehe, , , instead I'll recommend 9 favorite points >>>

1 - "Follow her down to a bridge by a fountain

where rocking horse people eat marshmallow pies

Everyone smiles as you drift past the flowers

that grow so incredibly high" from Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds

2 - The 'I used to be cruel-passage' in Getting Better

3 - Fixing a Hole's unparalleled elegance and complete originality

4 - John & Pauls vocal interplay during She's Leaving Home

5 - The entire Within You Without You's shocking yet needed and important contra

6 - When I'm Sixtyfour's just as spiritual clarinet

7- Sgt. Pepper reprise's intro and extended energy

8 - A Day in The Life's enormous room and the moment where the symphonic crescendo is sucked into third verse

9 - Plus of course the absurd run-out-loop

Add your own (and the envelope-pushing overall bass-approach)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I happen to have 3 versions in my collection - all stereo.

The one I got for X-mas as a kid in the wake of the release or perhaps 1968. Just found out it's a second edition (that never had the slightly psychedelic inner-sleeve).

The replacement bought in London in the mid-70's. Almost a copy of the real thing - including cut-out-figures sheet.

And the 2009 re-mastered CD.

Here's the first with its gatefold clipped out for the teenage walls back in 1974.

Might have lowered the official value ;-), but to me only makes it even more authentic.

Yesterday ~ FB%20-%20Personal%20Pepper%20it.jpgIt's certainly a thrill

Loved your analysis of each song - spot on! Interesting that you only ever owned a stereo version - the Beatles spent their time perfecting the mono - the stereo mix was an afterthought, and they were not involved with the mixing of it. If you are a Beatles fan, I highly recommend the new stereo remix. Giles Martin (son of George) remixed the entire album from the master tapes. Not only that, but he did not have to "bump down" the tracks like the Beatles did and therefore did not have to suffer from the sound loss that the Beatles did in bumping tracks. His new stereo version is really him trying to come as close to the mono version as he could. If you compare this new mix to the old, it is remarkably better! If you have Amazon prime, you can download the music app - the new Pepper remix is included free!

Also, when this remix was released, Giles Martin did several interviews (NPR, and other various podcasts). It's really fascinating to hear him talk about the new mix, and the slight differences between the original stereo and mono (key changes for instance, and the absence of certain effects). He even plays the old and new tracks back to back to show the differences. Really cool.

Yes, I like the Beatles. :)

I would like to see the whole show, have only found snippets.

Pet Sounds did nothing for me and I *love* music. I guess I should buy it again. I played it maybe twice and that was it.

Loved the Beatles, loved Sgt.Pepper.

My favorite Beatles record was Abbey Road, by far. To me, out of all of music, the best album ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Pet Sounds is incredible but it is not the Beach Boys, just their vocals. Its Brian and The Wreaking Crew. The White Album is the pimp. Pepper is a moment in time when music changed forever.

I like Pet Sounds a lot. And I love Pepper. If I were trapped on a desert island with only one album, it might be The White Album (or the soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar).

I would like to see the whole show, have only found snippets.

Pet Sounds did nothing for me and I *love* music. I guess I should buy it again. I played it maybe twice and that was it.

Loved the Beatles, loved Sgt.Pepper.

My favorite Beatles record was Abbey Road, by far. To me, out of all of music, the best album ever.

+1 on all that... especially Abbey Road.

Can you make it the white album in case I'm stranded on the neighbouring island

Hahehe. . .

Btw, yeiiis, , , Abbey Road side 2 is a collection of jewelry glimmering like nothing else.

Also lOVE side 1, but Mc. should have replaced Maxwell with a melodic close to up-tempo rokker.

Bought them both when they came out. Have 6 sides today.

Have you given JCS a chance?! So good. You know The Grease band plays on the whole thing??

Didn't know that - but hats off to standing your ground.

I cannot be counted as a fan, but never joined the anti-Andrew-Lloyd-Webber-guard

that found its path all the way to the lyrics of a Costello-album back in the late 80's.

The man is simply too melodic and well-crafted to disregard.

Saw the show in a big theater in London in the mid-70's - all I recall is a light-cross of cubes rising through the stage-floor, , , and that smoking was aloud.

Superstar was a hip term back then. But Lennon already used it in Instant Karma. Let's all shine on. . .

Didn't know that - but hats off to standing your ground.

I cannot be counted as a fan, but never joined the anti-Andrew-Lloyd-Webber-guard

that found its path all the way to the lyrics of a Costello-album back in the late 80's.

The man is simply too melodic and well-crafted to disregard.

Saw the show in a big theater in London in the mid-70's - all I recall is a light-cross of cubes rising through the stage-floor, , , and that smoking was aloud.

Superstar was a hip term back then. But Lennon already used it in Instant Karma. Let's all shine on. . .

I don't know why people bash Webber, but the band Crowded House also takes a shot at him in "Chocolate Cake":

"Not everyone in New York would pay to see Andrew Lloyd Webber

May his trousers fall down as he bows to the queen and the crown

I don't know what tune that the orchestra played

But it went by me sickly and sentimental"

At any rate, you should check out the JCS album if only for the amazing bass playing of Alan Spenner.

Archived