• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Archtop Identification Help Needed

#1 User is offline   KevCan 

• Group: Members
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

Hello and thanks for your help.

My dad bought this blonde Gibson as a used guitar from a music store ( Ray Mullins or Twins Music ) in Pawtucket, R.I. along with a Gibson Skylark amp approx 55 years ago. It has been in the family since I can remember. The tuners are not original as you can see, if memory serves me the original knobs were clear with 1-10 numbers with a metal pointer under the knobs, pictured too is the original pick guard which is basically deteriorating, the bridge is original. Through the upper f hole the very faint ink markings may read ES150 ( hard to see and not able to photograph, the lower f hole shows the 1453 31 ink markings.Guitar is approx 43" from top of head stock to bottom, it is approx 3 1/2" deep, and 17" at its widest point.
Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   JimR56 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

The number 1453 31 is referred to as a "factory order number". If you have all of the digits correctly identified, this number dates your ES-150 to 1948 (more info here: http://www.guitarhq....son.html#serial ).

In the photo, it appears that your bridge may be set a bit too far down (too far from the neck / too close to the tailpiece). You can look at online photos of similar guitars to see what I mean.

#3 User is offline   KevCan 

• LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

Thanks so much for the info. As I said the ES-150 is a guess because it is very hard to see the faint markings in the upper f hole. If you are right then the ES-150 was available in other finishes besides the sunburst? Or could it have been a custom order? Wish I had asked dad more about it before he passed last year [sad]. Thank you again !

#4 User is offline   JimR56 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:05 AM

It's hard to tell from the photos provided, but something about the tone of that blond finish made me wonder right away if it had been refinished at some point. A custom order is possible, but probably less likely. Perhaps you could locate a vintage expert somewhere in your area.

#5 User is offline   old guy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

View PostJimR56, on 06 June 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

In the photo, it appears that your bridge may be set a bit too far down (too far from the neck / too close to the tailpiece). You can look at online photos of similar guitars to see what I mean.

The measurement from the 12th fret to the nut, should be the same as the measurement from the12th fret to the floating bridge.

#6 User is offline   KevCan 

• LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

View Postold guy, on 07 June 2017 - 06:44 PM, said:

The measurement from the 12th fret to the nut, should be the same as the measurement from the12th fret to the floating bridge.

THANK YOU :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users