Gibson Brands Forums

Studying Guitar Addiction Syndrome

sparquelito

Hey guys and gals,

The topic came up on the Telecaster boards yesterday, and it got me to thinking.

From the nature of many of our posts (and guitar buying habits) many of us are addicted to acquiring guitars and amps and miscellaneous guitar-related kit.

We often make light of it, and support each other, as a community of guitar owners and players.

All kidding aside, many of us truly do suffer from a powerful addiction of sorts.

For some women it's shoes.

Some guys, it's motorcycles or guns.

A lot of men and women are addicted to alcohol or other substances.

And then there's gambling.

For us it's guitars and amplifiers. And pedals even.

I am a lifelong student of human psychology, and have actually devised objective, scientific survey instruments in support of credible studies.

In one case I was the study director of a major US Army study of technicians and operators (Warrant Officers), and in another I was the lead survey developer and data collector of a Department of Justice study conducted out of a nearby University.

I'm tempted to put a survey together, on the very topic of guitar addiction, and ask for volunteers to take the survey and then return the responses to me. If I get enough participation, I could build up a data set based on a credible sample size, and maybe even arrive at some conclusions worth pondering.

I would offer it up here on the Gibson boards, on the Telecaster forum, and on the two guitar websites where I am also a moderator.

Anybody interested in participating, if I undertake that effort?

Just running it up the flagpole to see if anybody nibbles on the idea.

:mellow:

il_570xN.1206463245_y1wj.jpg

If "our" collective guitar syndrome is named then it follows someone will espouse a"cure" and promote some special ribbon color we can display.

This addiction,if it is one, seems so beneficial in many ways. With so many harmful addictions to choose from I admit this one is very enjoyable at least to my simple mind.

guitart.jpg

Heck, when I was a kid I had quite a large baseball card collection, but looking back, I wouldn't say I was addicted to collecting baseball cards.

Whether it's coins, stamps, books, Star Wars memorabilia, cars, clocks, guitars, drugs or what have you, in my book a 'powerful addiction' causes a person to forsake good judgement in pursuit of their addiction - often devastating their financial and/or medical well being, and possibly damaging personal relationships along they way. If there's anyone with GAS (Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome) that bad, I hope they get help.

...I always heard it to be "Guitar Acquisition Syndrome" or Gear Acquisition Syndrome...

Me too.

In comparison to 'aquisition' the word 'addiction' has a slightly different, but very important and never very pleasant, connotation attached to it.

As a wordsmith yourself I'm sure you appreciate the subtleties implied therein.

I'd also be happy to be a Guinea-pig if only to be the one who doesn't have GAS.

Well; not very often........msp_blushing.gif...............

Pip.

Thanks for the feedback and even the PMs, guys.

Before I begin this process I must offer some thoughts on the structure of the thing, and the expected outcomes;

* This will be a totally anonymous survey.

Though there will be some demographic-type questions asked, there will be no way on earth for me to know who you are and exactly where you reside.

* I do not endeavor to name the condition nor do I intend to offer any cures or advice on how to curb the inclination to acquire guitars and amps and accessories.

* I would like to collect enough information that might allow all of us to learn what we have in common, and that which we do not have in common.

For example, it might not surprise us to learn that sufferers of this syndrome are mostly males, older than 30, and fellows who earn a modest-to-comfortable wage.

What I would be intrigued to find out is something along the lines of,

"WOW, 98% of we who have this syndrome have brown eyes and not blue."

"Interesting, 60% of us have sacrificed grocery money and held off paying utility bills in order to acquire another guitar."

Or,

"Geez, the fellows who own the most guitars live in the Northeastern US, and in the south of England, on the other side of the pond."

* I don't envision an outcome where any of us will be flocking to visit a local counselor, psychologist, or psychiatrist.

* I will offer up a question-by-question synopsis of all the responses (raw data) and a list of notable or statistically-significant findings and conclusions.

* I do not plan to publish a paper or study report, unless the findings and conclusions are so earth-shattering that we all feel (collectively) that such a report might save the planet.

Is that fair?

:)

Thanks for the feedback and even the PMs, guys.

Before I begin this process I must offer some thoughts on the structure of the thing, and the expected outcomes;

* This will be a totally anonymous survey.

Though there will be some demographic-type questions asked, there will be no way on earth for me to know who you are and exactly where you reside.

* I do not endeavor to name the condition nor do I intend to offer any cures or advice on how to curb the inclination to acquire guitars and amps and accessories.

* I would like to collect enough information that might allow all of us to learn what we have in common, and that which we do not have in common.

For example, it might not surprise us to learn that sufferers of this syndrome are mostly males, older than 30, and fellows who earn a modest-to-comfortable wage.

"Interesting, 60% of us have sacrificed grocery money and held off paying utility bills in order to acquire another guitar."

Or,

"Geez, the fellows who own the most guitars live in the Northeastern US, and in the south of England, on the other side of the pond."

* I don't envision an outcome where any of us will be flocking to visit a local counselor, psychologist, or psychiatrist.

* I will offer up a question-by-question synopsis of all the responses (raw data) and a list of notable or statistically-significant findings and conclusions.

* I do not plan to publish a paper or study report, unless the findings and conclusions are so earth-shattering that we all feel (collectively) that such a report might save the planet.

Is that fair?

Saving the planet is more than fair☺

Or,

The problem here is that those outcomes could be applied to any group (replace guitar with drugs or car or etc...).

What you really need to do is run some type of model to predict "What type of guitar is person X going to purchase next" or maybe "How much money will person X spend on musical equipment next year." Then, sell that model to Guitar Center. :)

The problem here is that those outcomes could be applied to any group (replace guitar with drugs or car or etc...).

What you really need to do is run some type of model to predict "What type of guitar is person X going to purchase next" or maybe "How much money will person X spend on musical equipment next year." Then, sell that model to Guitar Center. :)

Meaningful and astute observation, glp2012.

And I thank you for that, good sir.

Two things.

* My personal experience with alcohol and drug addictions, and my personal experience with guitar acquisition addictions (and, truth be told, guns, shoes, cars, and motorcycles) tells me that addictions to acquiring possessions cannot be compared to addictions to alcohol or drugs.

It's apples and oranges.

Or more like apples and hand grenades.

* My proposal will be objective and scientific, and the prospect of selling the study's data or outcomes to Guitar Center would compromise my scientific objectivity.

I would never do that.

This study will be for us to ponder, and for us alone.

Sure, I'll do it but don't think you'll find me worthwhile. I had way more as a teen then I do now.

i would say the same thing. i'll participate, but i don't really suffer from gas like some do. i recently had cash in hand to pre-order the epiphone johnny A i want, but took a pass. i decided i don't want a guitar with a bigsby, and that killed all the lust i had for it right then and there.

most guys who suffer from gas would have convinced themselves they'd use that bigsby at least some times. i realized i was already trying to figure out how to get rid of it or lock it, before i even owned one with it.

Sure, I'll do it but don't think you'll find me worthwhile. I had way more as a teen then I do now.

This brings up an interesting question.

Should we examine only those guitar players who feel in their heart of hearts that they suffer from guitar acquisition syndrome?

Or should we offer the survey up to every willing participant?

Good science dictates that the survey be offered to everyone, even those who only own one or two guitars, and who do not constantly crave another.

To ask people to participate based solely on a self-admitted guitar addiction condition would open up a pandora's box of 'what exactly constitutes the condition'?

One person might own three or four guitars, and admit that they are always looking for more, and volunteer to take the survey.

Another person could own 13 guitars, but feel strongly that they are not a GASing, and decline to participate.

(Remember the classic drunk who declares, "I'm not an alcoholic, I can quit anytime I like!!")

No, I believe this will be an open participation survey, and the sample size will benefit from that wide-open approach.

:unsure:

Guest Farnsbarns

Why must we label and describe every human trait. Why must we invent conditions so everyone can have their badge of honour mental condition. Seriously, people like to buy items they like. Do we really need to define that as a mental condition?

Why must we label and describe every human trait. Why must we invent conditions so everyone can have their badge of honour mental condition. Seriously, people like to buy items they like. Do we really need to define that as a mental condition?

Thank the internet. Most of us live quiet, quite satisfied lives of "I'll use this one tonight", because it's about what we do with them. The internet came along and of course, people had to wear how many they have on their sleeves. It's what matters now, not all that boring mundane crap about being in bands and stuff.

rct

Archived