Gibson Brands Forums

My 'new' 2013 LP Custom Lite - a couple of questions

pelham_blue

After years with an SG Standard as my main guitar, I decided to go for a 2013 Gibson USA Les Paul Custom Lite. Feels great, super-comfortable to hold and play. Feels like a nice bridge between an SG and a "full-fat" Les Paul to me.

Having got it used, the owner says that they're still the original strings on the guitar. That makes them four years old, but they still sound fine, intonate well and show no signs of corrossion. Anyone know what strings Gibson fitted from the factory in 2013 for the Custom Lites? I'm guessing they're 9s, but I can be sure. Any more info would be great as I actually really like the way the strings feel, compared to my D'Addario 10-42 set that I tend to have on the SG.

Secondly, there is some damage to the finish I'd like to tidy up. It's Ebony black, gloss, but there's a patch which is rough and dull (matt) and looks a lighter colour. It's on the side of the guitar (near the neck strap button) and not an area I could imagine would get much routine wear or friction. Any ideas on how to tidy it up? I've tried a gently rub with some Meguars polish, but that's not made any difference.

Thanks,

Tony

They use the Gibson strings but not sure of gauge with it, may or may not be a issue 9 to 10. "owner says that they're still the original strings on the guitar. That makes them four years old, but they still sound fine, intonate well and show no signs of corrossion."

I dont know Ive played strings especially as a kid for a good deal of time, a almost unthinkable time in relation to today imo. But anyway you checked the intonation on the guitar and its right and they play alright, then your good? You have any photos of the guitar -spot etc?

Anyway sounds like a nice LP I like the concept of the custom lite but I never played it.

Brite Wires 10-46. D'Addario 10-46s are fine, you can also put the 9-46s on it for more bending with treble strings and heavy bottom bass strings.

LOVE D'Addario EXL 125's (9-46)!!! For ME, they're the perfect combination of lightness, for bending, as you mentioned,

but with a more substantial bass response. Not too much, "just right!" [thumbup]

And, they last quite a long time, with just "normal" care.

CB

LOVE D'Addario EXL 125's (9-46)!!! For ME, they're the perfect combination of lightness, for bending, as you mentioned,

but with a more substantial bass response. Not too much, "just right!" [thumbup]

And, they last quite a long time, with just "normal" care.

CB

the same for me.

i would add though, 4 years is way too long for strings unless it's not being played at all, and you live in a desert. my hands have a low-acid content in the oils, so strings last me a long-ish time, relative to how much i use them. i have known a few guys who's hands can corrode strings in a few days. mine last about 2 months, or around 72 hours of use. play the guitar with the old strings. play it immediately after installing the new ones. i'd bet $5 you'll be surprised at what you hear.

Thanks all! 9-46 sounds about right for what's on there now. I'll try the Brite Wires and the D'Addario sets and see which I prefer. Although I think I once read that D'Addario actually make the Gibson-brand strings, so maybe they won't be that dissimilar.

Point taken about the age of the strings, I was surprised! I'll sure I'll notice a difference when I change them, but the old set do sound surprisingly good. I think it was previously hung on the wall of an office, like a trophy, and not played all that often!

By the way, the mark on the body has largely buffed out with a slightly more aggressive polish (using T Cut, scratch remover for cars). Doesn't look half bad now :)

And I'm loving the sound of this thing. The 498t pickup seems a little harsh and clangy with the dials at 10, but drop the bridge volume pot to 7 or 8 and I'm getting good clarity, some lovely sparkle or shimmer in the trebles and an overall sound that's full without becoming too thick or muddy. I do miss the second tone knob, but maybe I'll come to use the coil-split toggle more than I expect!

My 2014 Les Paul Traditional came with Cleartone strings (it had a leaflet in the case telling me so), it was new old stock when I got it and the strings lasted a long time, I only changed them a couple of months ago because I felt that I should, with another set of Cleartones. There great far better than Elixir coated strings.

Ian

The 498t pickup seems a little harsh and clangy with the dials at 10, but drop the bridge volume pot to 7 or 8 and I'm getting good clarity

I like the 490/498 combo.. Try lowering that pickup a bit? Maybe that will tame it a little for you.

And I'm loving the sound of this thing. The 498t pickup seems a little harsh and clangy with the dials at 10, but drop the bridge volume pot to 7 or 8 and I'm getting good clarity, some lovely sparkle or shimmer in the trebles and an overall sound that's full without becoming too thick or muddy. I do miss the second tone knob, but maybe I'll come to use the coil-split toggle more than I expect!

Glad you were able to get the finish cleaned up. I got a Custom Lite back in 2013 and also love it. The coil tap that they had back then is not super effective, but there is some difference in the tone. But I couldn't live with just one tone control so I had a guy put in a second tone pot, and made it a push pull so I could have tone control on both pickups and still keep the coil tap.

TopHatMod002_zpsef7cd882.jpg

I have a 2014 LP Custom with the 490R/498T pups. I am running both at 3/64 with bass side tweaked up just a nano 64th with last fret pressed down, my action 12th fret is 3/64 high E and 5/64 low E.

Archived