Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Caballero FT30 - advice?

goodgina

Morning folks!

Just got me this little guy last night at a goodwill auction. I think it's in pretty shape (from photos) but I will be able to judge in a week. Always wanted a B-15 or B-25 but these little guys are just like the L0 which has been on my gas list too. I have done some interweb browsing but not a solid answer on serial numbers? Also, this guy has a super dark finish to it and I know they made a "natural" but were there any other variations cause she's got quite the tan. Any recommended upgrades? Rosewood bridge and adjustable saddle it looks like... don't know any thing about specs other than made side by side and just like Gibson L0. Not sure if tuners are original...?

Thanks all!

Gina

My little cowboy (Epi Caballero)

The dark finish isn't unusual, and you're correct - it's the Kalamazoo Epi counterpart to Gibson's LG-0. They don't usually admit of too many upgrades, but if it has the adj saddle it might be fun to try a couple optional variations like Tusq or bone for a little difference in tone and, perhaps, volume. Some folks believe bridge pins can make a difference, too. I might be able to help with date of manufacture if you can post the serial number. Would like to see a picture of the front, too☺

Good little guitar that over the years has improved with age. I own a 1965 one. Interestly, mine has a glossy finish where many do not. Mine had an original plastic bridge which like most of those one day just cracked with a chunk of plastic flying. I had a standard wooden replacement saddle put in like most have as most of the plastic ones have also broken over the years although occasionally I still have run across a guitar with an unbroken one. The original Caballeros have solid mahogany tops and mahogany sides and backs although I am not sure if anyone knows for sure if the sides and tops are solid mahogany or not, though the tops definitely are. In the past 2-3 years, Epi reissued a Caballero FT30 that looks identical to the Kalamazoo ones but has a laminated mahogany top. In the 70's there were Caballeros and FT30s, but bore absolutely no resemblance to the original mahogany ones except in name.

The K'zoo ones were the Epi version of the Gibson LG0, but collectors generally have favored the Caballero FT30 over the LG0. I have compared the two and though they seem near identical, I too have to admit the Caballero FT30 somehow sounds and plays better. Maybe the headstock angle or neck angle is slightly different on the Epi or something, giving the Epi slightly higher action that somehow favors the small body Guitar's volume and sound. Something...

I have had my 1965 one since 1973. I bought it used for $75. Great little finger pickin' guitar and also for playing leads. So so for strumming, but functional. I always refer to mine as having a good cracker box sound.

I use a bone saddle. Still has the original tuners which are a bit stiff now, but work fine.

I think they now sell for about $500 to $700, sometimes excessively unjustified more. I think the laminated top reissue sold new for $299 or similar.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

post-85724-084882400 1497315306_thumb.jpegpost-85724-058019000 1497315308_thumb.jpegpost-85724-084882400 1497315306_thumb.jpeg

post-85724-024062800 1497315305_thumb.jpeg

Hey y'all! Thanks for the responses. I need to check my settings b/c I never received any notifications! So she arrives tomorrow and I will post some photos tomorrow. Below are the ones from the GW auction site. I can't figure out the year (052947)... 1960?

So cool to hear your stories about these little cowboys. I am also curious about but width/specs for this Kalamazoo version. It looks like the pick guard is lifted. Otherwise I think its in pretty good shape. Hard to tell if this had the Elipson logo on it or not...? I understand that some were not manufactured with it...

msp_thumbup.gif Gina

post-85724-005870700 1497315310_thumb.jpeg

post-85724-027455900 1497315311_thumb.jpeg

post-85724-032509100 1497315312_thumb.jpeg

post-85724-004371500 1497315314_thumb.jpeg

post-85724-096286000 1497315424_thumb.jpeg

My 1965 one has a screwed down pickguard. It rests flat on the guitar. At one point there was a stenciled Epiphone E on it, but that is long worn away. The tuners on mine are plastic. Though they once may have been white, they are definitely yellowed now. They are a little tight to use, but work okay. As Bobouz, the prior poster referenced, it appears the tuners have been changed on yours. Based on the photo, they look to be metal, although the same shape as the originals. Perhaps tge originals tbecame too tight to be function...?

Dimensions? It is the same size body as the Gibson LG0, LG1, LG2, and LG3. This is referred to as a "concert size" guitar. Dimensions are readily available via internet searches for the 1960s Epiphone Caballero FT30 or the 1960's Gibson LG 0, 1,2, 3. The neck on it is what is referred to as a short scale neck, a very common scale even today with Gibson j45s.

Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

According to the serial number, your guitar dates to @1967.... The tuners could be easily replaced with a set that more nearly approximates the originals if that's of concern to you - it would be to me...just sayin'😒

It wasn't unusual for the screwed-on pickguards to warp - another easy replacement if you choose. I've not seen an example of a 130 with an E on the guard, but there's a possibility that you could see the faint outline if one was originally there.

67 eh? Hmmm... I thought for sure it was a 1960... I though they went over to plastic saddles after 65? Or from 65 on? Also just those glued on blidges...

This has an adjustable bridge and saddle... msp_blink.gifblink.gif

I would like to get a vintage set of tuners and maybe... maybe a replacement pick guard. This is existing! More close-ups tomorrow. Thanks gents!

That is the correct bridge for 1967. The plastic bridge was standard from '63 to '66.

Early versions with a rosewood bridge had a different headstock shape & triangular truss rod cover.

The heel of the neck has pulled away slightly on the treble side, and this may have effected the neck angle. It would be a good idea to have a competent luthier look the guitar over for structural issues, and give you a repair quote.

Hope it all works out well for you!

Hi y'all... this little guy is filthy.... lots of dust and some mold on the back. I have some lighter fluid... don't want to polish it b/c of the checking. Sounds pretty awesome... is there also a truss rod under the epi hood? I picked up some ebony bridge pins today but the white looks nice... may invest in bone if she cleans up well...

The neck is solid, the action ain't too shabby. I need to school myself on the adjustable saddle/bridge. About to strip her strings and begin working on the little monster. Tips/trick appreciated!

There is an adjustable truss rod under the cover. I wouldn't be afraid to polish it up...with any name brand guitar polish (i.e. Martin or Gibson or Fender polish. Won't hurt it. Also, if you really need to do a deep cleaning of it, you could carefully use Meguiar's car cleaner polish, but be gentle with it because it has some abrasives in it, but it does a great job if used carefully and sparingly.). Hope this helps.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

... need to figure out the truss rod adjust ment b/c it looks like the neck needs some relief

Just turn the nut counterclockwise to add more relief, and clockwise to straighten & reduce relief.

Turn in small increments & do not force the nut if it doesn't turn rather easily. If it doesn't turn at all, put a tiny dab of WD-40 on the front & back of the nut using WD-40's applicator that looks like a paint stick (non-spray) to avoid getting it on the surrounding wood.

As for cleaning the finish, Virtuoso Cleaner is one of the best for serious gunk, and it's specifically formulated for nitro finishes.

• 2 years later...

Kalamazoo made Epiphones follow Gibsons’ serial numbering.  The problem is Gibsons’ serial numbering from their Kalamazoo era wasn’t always consistent.  Based on Gruhn’s Guide to Vintage Guitars, 2nd Edition, your serial number is in the range of 1966 guitars or 1969 guitars.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff 

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:25 AM, Tbocker said:

Can someone help me with a serial number on my Caballero FT-30?  (844575) I would like to know what I have. 

Jeff already gave you the answer above - it's either a '66 or '69.

1966 is more likely because production numbers of this model were much higher in '66 (compared to '69).