Gibson Brands Forums

Shinichi Ubukata ES-355

Rabs

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Memphis/Shinichi-Ubukata-ES-355.aspx

$4,649

Body: Semi-solid thinline double cutaway with lightweight centerblock and bound diamond f holes

Neck: Mahogany with rounded "1959" neck shape and rolled binding

Fingerboard: Dark Rosewood with full block mother of pearl inlays

Electronics: MHS Humbuckers with mono Varitone circuit

Bridge: Nickel ABR-1 with plated brass saddles

Tailpiece: Bigsby B-7 Tremolo

Tuners: Grover "Milk Bottle" Rotomatics

Finish: Ebony VOS

HERO_01_zpsnubusvyt.jpg

Hmm.. Donno, never played a guitar like that... BUT if one were to be resting your hand on the bridge which I would assume some people do it looks about right? You don't (or probably shouldn't) do dive bombs on a bigsby or anything crazy.. Its more of a gentle waggle :)

It looks like it needs to be at least about an inch longer to be more usable to me. It looks like your picking hand will need to depart from the pickin zone to use it. But if you're buying $4K+ guitars you may not mind buying a different arm

The B6 would have been a better choice

Nice!

Why are those tuners described as 'Milk Bottle'? I thought tuners that shape were generally known as 'Kidney Bean'.......eusa_think.gif......

...It looks like your picking hand will need to depart from the pickin zone to use it...

I see what you mean, Dub.

I've never paid any heed to where the Bigsby arm rested on the very rare occasion when I've played a guitar so equipped. Hmmm...........

Pip.

Nice!

Why are those tuners described as 'Milk Bottle'?

Grovers my whole life, from Cincinatti OH USA, Taiwan, Vietnam, wherever they are making them now. Never ever heard the words used before.

Somebody in marketing needs new shoes.

rct

The "milk bottle" is the shaft between the peg and key

Ah. Erm...Eh...OK...

So is this the Grover equivalent of 'Hide Glue'?

Pip.

EDIT : OK, I remembered Google Is My Friend and discovered what y'all knew already which is that in '59 (and such) Grover tuner bodies had a different shaped casing for the shaft. So a little bit of True Historic, then? Fair enough. Since the diamond-shaped soundholes first appeared in '64 the guit could probably be quite accurately described as a period-correct marriage of a Bigsby'd Trini Lopez Standard body with a (rosewood 'boarded msp_scared.gif) 355 neck.

On which point of pedantry note;

looks like a black trini lopez to me. i actually like it better in black, but the mouse ears are not like the points.

Only the 3" deep Trini Lopez DeLuxe featured Florentine 'points'; the regular T-L Standard shared body-shape and dimensions with the 335-style guitars - 'mouse-ears' and all.

Shame 'bout the lack of Richlite.........msp_smile.gif..........

Archived