Gibson Brands Forums

More Custom Shop Ltd runs

Rabs

Man they are really going for some weird s**t at the moment.... :unsure:

Modern Les Paul Axcess Rhino

$4,499

The modern player's choice is reimagined with new design elements and new skin in this limited Modern Les Paul Axcess Rhino Series. It features classy Custom appointments, the new Apex headstock carve for added strength, redesigned back contours for added comfort and a beautiful Rhino Gray finish created specifically for this model. The result is an extremely versatile, playable and fun Les Paul model unlike any other.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Modern-Les-Paul-Axcess-Custom-Rhino.aspx#MLPXCPSL11220

MLPXC1_zpswyzcosmu.jpg

ML1_zpsbpo4ut7w.jpg

Johnny A. Spruce Top

$4,499

The Johnny A. Spruce Top series from Gibson Custom blends the snappy and responsive personality of a large, long-scale archtop guitar into a small form with great balance and feel. Its rich, lively tone comes from a solid mahogany body that's been carved to create a semi-hollow chamber underneath a solid, carved Spruce top. Impressive throwback aesthetics harken back to the rare spruce top doubleneck guitars made by Gibson in the late 1950s.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Johnny-A-Spruce-Top.aspx

CSJAPSL101_zpspu3dstjm.jpg

CSJAPSL11K_zps1dfdaesk.jpg

CSJAPSL11_zpsaecu6hzu.jpg

Les Paul Custom Figured Top

$5,499

The gutsy, modern tone of today's Les Paul meets the enhanced sustain of vintage long neck-tenon construction in this beautifully finished Limited Run of figured top Les Paul Customs. The balanced, powerful tone of a matched set of 490R/498T humbucking pickups retain the voice that's earned the Les Paul Custom its place as a stage and recording legend, while the multi-layer binding and subtle details retain the upscale look that makes the Custom an instantly recognizable classic.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Les-Paul-Custom-Figured-Top.aspx

LPC-PSL1_zps8kkhpvh8.jpg

I find that Johnny A a bit appealing. put a bigsby on that (for rct) and we have a winnah!

Take my hand brutha, I will lead you away from the Beegsbee.

rct

And some more

SG Maple Top

$3,499

The Limited Run SG Maple Top adds a crisp new layer of tone over the traditional SG solid mahogany body thanks to its quality 2-piece maple top. The fast play of the '60s-inspired slim C-shape neck remains intact as does the SG's renowned balance, while a faux tortoise pickguard and deep, dark cherry finish refresh the sharp lines and curves of one of Gibson's most played guitars.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/SG-Standard-Maple-Top.aspx

SGSRPSL1_zpssfmy0wlv.jpg

Maple Top Les Paul Special

$3,499

The look and tone of the original Les Paul Special was intended to be pure and accessible, without compromising the high craft and performance standards of the Gibson name. This Limited Run of Maple Top Les Paul Special guitars adds a new depth of character to the Special's voice with a quality 2-piece maple top. The Special's look gets a subtle upgrade as well through the addition of a faux tortoise pick guard and deep, dark cherry finish.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Les-Paul-Special-Maple-Top.aspx

LPSPSCPSL_zpsyvkj7egt.jpg

Heavy Aged SG Standard

$5,499

The SG Standard draws attention with this hand-aged, limited edition Antique Pelham Blue finish. The iconic SG points and curves, blistering humbucker tone and fast-playing neck are staples while the unique and exclusive finish helps make this guitar a true stand-out player.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Heavy-Aged-SG-Standard.aspx

SGSRPSL11_zps2aqurcma.jpg

The LPs are expensive, but the SGs are out of control. $2000 more for a maple top on your SG? $4000 more for an SG Standard that someone attacked with sandpaper?

Agreed! [scared]These are obviously for the "well healed" that think no more of paying 5 grand for a guitar,

"new" or relic'd, than the rest of us do paying 30 dollars, for a modest lunch, with our friends! But, whatever

floats your boat! [biggrin]

I stated, sadly, in another thread, that my favorite guitar dealer, has had to drop the Gibson line

(USA, Custom Shop, and Epiphone) once again, due to price hikes, on the wholesale end (never mind

trying to sell 2-4+ thousand dollar guitars (retail), in a still depressed marketplace), QC concerns,

and totally unrealistic (for a small "brick & mortar" store) stocking requirements! They are a smaller,

family owned, but very well respected guitar and band instrument supplier, and have been a Gibson dealer,

for a LONG time. But, apparently, this has happened, a couple of other times, in the decades since

they first opened. So, I'll hope for the best!

Ironically, the expense of PRS products, which they also carry, doesn't seem to be as much a "sales"

problem, for them, as Gibson's do. So...??? Seems like the stocking requirements, that Gibson demands,

may be the bigger problem?! I hope, at some future point, my dealer and Gibson can, work something out,

and once again do business, together! [tongue][rolleyes]

CB

msp_blink.gif

$3.5k for a Les Paul Special?????

msp_laugh.gifmsp_laugh.gifmsp_laugh.gifmsp_laugh.gifmsp_laugh.gifmsp_laugh.gifmsp_laugh.gifmsp_laugh.gifmsp_laugh.gif

Pip.

A satin Junior Special with P90's I bought in 2012 cost £479 and I thought that was exactly the right price for a Special. It is a cool guitar, but I can't see paying 5 or 6 times the amount for a custom shop version made with historically inaccurate wood. Though I must admit it does look good, as does the SG and Johnny A in natural. Btw, I did recently see a custom shop LP junior going for £2000 second hand and thought to myself, who would buy that? Not me.

i like that they are now doing a volute. everyone knows their head stocks can be a bit fragile due to the design. the volute is an attempt to address that. i say dont complain when they make improvements that actually are improvements. i also like the fast axcess heel. although gibby might make some odd ducks here and there, and most of the prices are higher than i wish to pay, they are doing some positive things too. good on them i say. those design changes should be on all their guitars, going forward.

ymmv of course

....I like that they are now doing a volute....

....those design changes should be on all their guitars, going forward....

I do like the funky volute.

I believe they first rolled-out that particular shape a year or so ago(?) and I thought it to be a very attractive solution to the possible neck-break situation.

I'd prefer that they leave the old-style ranges as-is but that the volute should be a regular feature on all new-design models and the HP-line.

By contrast we backward-looking Luddites must, as always, be ever-vigilant or face the consequences.....msp_biggrin.gif.....

Pip.

I do like the funky volute.

I believe they first rolled-out that particular shape a year or so ago(?) and I thought it to be a very attractive solution to the possible neck-break situation.

I'd prefer that they leave the old-style ranges as-is but that the volute should be a regular feature on all new-design models and the HP-line.

By contrast we backward-looking Luddites must, as always, be ever-vigilant or face the consequences.....msp_biggrin.gif.....

Pip.

I'll vote for that.

I'd also grab the HP version and leave those antiquated Ts to decorate the wall.

I thought CFMarteen and Gibson both admitted the Volute does nothing for the strength of the headstock joint. Or, I inhaled once or twice.

rct

Yeah, I look at them and in my mind's eye I see them actually increasing tension and increasing likelihood of cracking (if not breaking) - some sort of rubber insert to help absorb shock like in a cricket bat handle would make sense in my admittedly non-engineer mind.

...some sort of rubber insert to help absorb shock like in a cricket bat handle would make sense...

...and it would, of course, have to be held in place by Hide Glue to retain the glass-like solidity as an assurance of direct vibrational transfer of all resonance....otherwise All the Best Tone Would Be Lost!....

msp_wink.gif

I don't pretend to know much at all but from general numbers of Gibsons I've seen which have had p'head breaks I'd be pretty sure that 99+% of them DON'T come from the 'Volute-Era' days so might there not be some case for having a volute?

Consider it for a sec.; how many volute'd Gibsons have you seen with a snapped p'head? In over 40 years of playing I don't think I've ever seen a single example....eusa_think.gif...

Pip.

...and it would, of course, have to be held in place by Hide Glue to retain the glass-like solidity as an assurance of direct vibrational transfer of all resonance....otherwise All the Best Tone Would Be Lost!....

msp_wink.gif

I don't pretend to know much at all but from general numbers of Gibsons I've seen which have had p'head breaks I'd be pretty sure that 99+% of them DON'T come from the 'Volute-Era' days so might there not be some case for having a volute?

Consider it for a sec.; how many volute'd Gibsons have you seen with a snapped p'head? In over 40 years of playing I don't think I've ever seen a single example....eusa_think.gif...

Pip.

Could be Pip, then again I'd suggest 99% of LPs that are sold nowadays (or maybe even made) do not come from the volute-era [smile]

if it was great, why drop the idea in the first place. Could it have been due to the influence of....Luddites? [scared]

...if it was great, why drop the idea in the first place. Could it have been due to the influence of....Luddites? [scared]...

Unquestionably.

Been There; Thrown-in the Sabots; Got the T-Shirt.

Can't you hear our (admittedly just newly-minted) motto sounding out across the unfathonable expanses of ocean 'twixt our Great Continents?

"The Only Way To Go Forward is To Go Backward!"...(Pat. Pend.).

msp_thumbup.gif

P.

Archived