Gibson Brands Forums: Gibson Has Serious Quality Control Issues AGAIN ! - Gibson Brands Forums

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gibson Has Serious Quality Control Issues AGAIN !

#81 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:55 AM

LOL hey so WE require perfection, and clearly Gibson is for sure attempting to supply it and at every price point imaginable, but perfection is "relative" and then predicated on unique?

So let me ask a dumb question, how much difference does the aged wood matter and pick-ups in relation to perfection?

Hell we cant agree adjusting poles makes a difference, BUT you can hear the difference of aged wood? I would suggest the PAFS CAN be reproduced and so can the comparative relation to like wood tone.

#82 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:04 AM

my last 5 guitars have come from Sweetwater, they've all been very good purchase experiences, these guitars have needed nothing beyond the expected setup/details that every single guitar we buy needs. Did I get lucky? no. probably not..
/Ray

#83 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

View Postkidblast, on 08 July 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

my last 5 guitars have come from Sweetwater, they've all been very good purchase experiences, these guitars have needed nothing beyond the expected setup/details that every single guitar we buy needs. Did I get lucky? no. probably not..

I hear that, but its a generalization, what I find amusing is the specifics in relation. I'll give you an example. I know a fellow who bought a mismatched top on a 58RI which was common in the 58 transition to a degree expected. The guitar sounds, plays and looks period accurate for sure. But the same five purchases today with someone who expects a perfectly bookmatched top will no doubt think different.

Btw I like Sweetwater for on-line also. You have a better idea of what your buying in relation to the actual guitar and its weight, not so with various other places so it is a good idea to look. The issue here is for example often you can buy the same guitar from MF sight unseen for 15% lower. You may get a mismatched top. [biggrin]

#84 User is offline   kidblast 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCentral Mass (U.S.A.)

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:38 AM

definitely true.. The high res photo gallery that sweetwater (as well as other online merchants) provides for online shopping should leave little doubt on WHAT you are purchasing in that regard. I think if it wasn't for Sweetwater, and their support after the sale I'd have a different slant for online purchases.

Musicians friend is ok, never really had trouble with them - I don't like how the prep things for shipping, it's pretty lame sometimes. IMO, that one place in particular, while good, aren't really up to the standards that Sweetwater seems to hold themselves to.
/Ray

#85 User is offline   Drock4048 

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

I posted this as a new thread, but since you all spoke of quality. Thought I'd add this to your thread as well. A few weeks ago I decided to purchase my dream guitar that I've wanted since I was a kid... a Gibson Les Paul Standard. After a lot of shopping and research, I ordered a 2017 Standard T in Honey Burst through Guitar Center Lexington Ky. After playing a few weeks, I felt the guitar wasn't staying in tune properly. Upon further inspection, I found a crack in the nut of the guitar in two different places. It's upsetting but things happen so Guitar Center was great and offered a brand new exchange. Well, wouldn't you know it, the next guitar shipped with the very same problem. Gibson support has offered no explanation or help when I contact them. I really want a les Paul standard so, I tried a 3rd time. The next one didn't have a nut crack, but a chip and the supposed AAA flame was a AA at best. Plus at this point I'm so worried that I thought there could be an ongoing nut issue so, I didn't even take it home. I opted to order a bourbon burst standard HP 2017 with the metal zero nut fret (Even though I really want honey burst, but why should I get the color and quality I want for $2500 right?) This was yesterday, I was contacted by GC Gilroy CA, to tell me that my Standard HP Bourbon Burst has a defect and it's the only one Guitar Center can send in the whole US!! What do I do now? Try an order for the 5th time, another guitar? Is this nut issue an ongoing thing other people have experienced? Is Gibson quality so bad now that I should consider buying outside the USA? I'm sad that it's finally come to this and yet another beloved American business is dying. Since Gibson won't respond to me, what do you all think I should do? I have several Fenders already. Should I just go straight for perfection on the first order and buy a Dusenberg? Btw, I have pictures and serial numbers. Plus, probably the most respected Independent Guitar business/luthier, who will remain nameless, contested that the nut was defective. Someone please help! I want my dream guitar!

#86 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:09 PM

View PostBluesy69, on 08 June 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

I ordered my new Les Paul and it finally arrived only to find out, after unpacking it that it had a dark spot in the wood the size of a dime on the flame maple top and the body binding had a big curve in it clearly exposing the paint seam, as if someone came along while the person was applying the binding and bumped their arm.

I can't believe their doing this again it's the mid to late 90's and early 2000's all over again, even the guy's at the guitar store said " Wow I can't believe this was allowed to leave the factory ", and that's their own suppliers talking, luckily I was able to exchange it for another one from the stores distribution center.

Now you might say that I could've got a rare bad egg out of thousands, but this also happened over a month ago when I ordered an ES-335 and it showed up new in box, and it had an indentation in the wood on the neck..
I'm just one person and it happened to me twice in less than two months time.

What is going on over there?, I should've wrote down the final inspectors name, taken a picture and emailed it to him and asked how such an aesthetically flawed guitar got past him.
Well I just hope my replacement is a lot better than previous orders....I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Come on Gibson pay attention to those details.....PRS certainly is.

Buy a chinese copy or an Epiphnone my friend .....

:D :lol: :D :D
Posted Image

#87 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

View PostDrock4048, on 16 September 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

I posted this as a new thread, but since you all spoke of quality. Thought I'd add this to your thread as well. A few weeks ago I decided to purchase my dream guitar that I've wanted since I was a kid... a Gibson Les Paul Standard. After a lot of shopping and research, I ordered a 2017 Standard T in Honey Burst through Guitar Center Lexington Ky. After playing a few weeks, I felt the guitar wasn't staying in tune properly. Upon further inspection, I found a crack in the nut of the guitar in two different places. It's upsetting but things happen so Guitar Center was great and offered a brand new exchange. Well, wouldn't you know it, the next guitar shipped with the very same problem. Gibson support has offered no explanation or help when I contact them. I really want a les Paul standard so, I tried a 3rd time. The next one didn't have a nut crack, but a chip and the supposed AAA flame was a AA at best. Plus at this point I'm so worried that I thought there could be an ongoing nut issue so, I didn't even take it home. I opted to order a bourbon burst standard HP 2017 with the metal zero nut fret (Even though I really want honey burst, but why should I get the color and quality I want for $2500 right?) This was yesterday, I was contacted by GC Gilroy CA, to tell me that my Standard HP Bourbon Burst has a defect and it's the only one Guitar Center can send in the whole US!! What do I do now? Try an order for the 5th time, another guitar? Is this nut issue an ongoing thing other people have experienced? Is Gibson quality so bad now that I should consider buying outside the USA? I'm sad that it's finally come to this and yet another beloved American business is dying. Since Gibson won't respond to me, what do you all think I should do? I have several Fenders already. Should I just go straight for perfection on the first order and buy a Dusenberg? Btw, I have pictures and serial numbers. Plus, probably the most respected Independent Guitar business/luthier, who will remain nameless, contested that the nut was defective. Someone please help! I want my dream guitar!

It sounds mostly like Guitar Center QC. You'd think they'd inspect the stuff they get in but they're more about quantity over quality. I've worked at two music stores and have a good friend who owns a music store. If something comes in broken, they don't sell it and send it back. Stuff happens during shipping sometimes. Usually minor things like that are covered under warranty and if you like the guitar, that's the route I would have taken. I'd make Gibson make it right. I don't count on Guitar Center for much of anything other than to check out different products in their store. I had a problem with the PCB in my brand new Les Paul. I called Gibson, they sent me to GC for warranty support. After much BS and a month and a half of more BS, they finally fixed it. I don't know what happens from the time it goes into inspection until the time it's shipped nor what happens during shipping. I'm sure other major manufacturers have similar quality issue if they're producing many thousands of products. Look at all the factory recalls on cars, the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and other major purchases. Many of them will make it right but it's sure disheartening when you pay that much money for a musical instrument, expecting perfection for the price and then there's something wrong. Stuff happens.

And, Gibson will certainly respond to you if/when you email or call. I've called them four times since February and I got a live human being who spoke English every single time.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users