Gibson Brands Forums

Just got a Tribute T 2017, opinions needed please

s0uldrift3r

Hello,

First let it be known, I don't expect the QC of the high end Gibsons but I was curious to know if I have a problem with mine. I have marked the trouble area with a red square.

PIC1 I thought at first this was overspray, but after looking close it isn't.

I'm including more pictures because you can't see it at all angles. Is this a crack, a large open pore of the mahogany, or what? Thank you.

PIC2

PIC3

PIC4

PIC5

I think that what you are seeing is the grain of the wood. If you can't tolerate it, return the guitar. I have one of these and in the natural finish parts are a couple wood grain anomalies and they don't bother me at all.

I think that what you are seeing is the grain of the wood. If you can't tolerate it, return the guitar. I have one of these and in the natural finish parts are a couple wood grain anomalies and they don't bother me at all.

thanks for the reply!!

yes that's what i was thinking as well, just wanted a second opinion eases the OCD ;)

and the guitar plays well, and stays in tune really well, i'm impressed overall with the guitar!

here is a couple of pics after oiling the fretboard!

UsrUFsy.jpg?1

and ....

2MIx7w5.jpg?1

thanks again for your help!!

Pinch is right wood grain, and that's really hard to see otherwise.

If you hadn't circled it we'd never know. What you where looking at.

Btw my LP has buckle rash press marks bigger, and a hazzy area where my arm comes over the top.

Look at guitars or play guitars, only two choices.

I couldn't even bring myself to add my usual disclaimer to my opinion. I see nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever, actually.

But this is how OCD works: it's not rational. And I know me saying I see nothing out of the ordinary will probably trigger the OP to think I didn't look carefully enough. That's how it works.

But I assure you I looked very carefully, several times, and this is just your OCD.

Beautiful guitar, btw.

Looks like the grain of the wood to me. Looks absolutely nothing like a crack. Play and enjoy :)

That is a beautiful top. Gorgeous guitar.

Pinch is right wood grain, and that's really hard to see otherwise.

If you hadn't circled it we'd never know. What you where looking at.

Btw my LP has buckle rash press marks bigger, and a hazzy area where my arm comes over the top.

Look at guitars or play guitars, only two choices.

I couldn't even bring myself to add my usual disclaimer to my opinion. I see nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever, actually.

But this is how OCD works: it's not rational. And I know me saying I see nothing out of the ordinary will probably trigger the OP to think I didn't look carefully enough. That's how it works.

But I assure you I looked very carefully, several times, and this is just your OCD.

Beautiful guitar, btw.

Thank you very much guys for taking the time to reply to my post!

I value the opinions of the users on this board, that's why I joined this forum, also thank you for the kind words

I really like the top as well, ordered from MF, so i had no idea what i was going to get :)

Btw i have ordered a Gator hardshell case which will be here Tuesday, and just finished a Setup on the Les paul, i will take

some pics with the guitar and case.

Again, thank you guys!!!

Beautiful guitar, btw.

Thanks man! I believe you and feel a lot better Now! thank you again!! [thumbup]

Hello s0uldrift3r, and congrats on your beautiful new Les Paul guitar! [thumbup] Looks nice! [wub]

I think they could have used some filler in order to even the surface out, but there's no functional problem.

To be honest, there might be structural recesses like the one you pictured on my guitars with glossy finishes, and I weren't able to find without high-tech gear like ultrasonic finish thickness meters. Anyway, I just don't care and play them guitars. Nice playability and pleasant tone, that's what count in my opinion.

Enjoy picking your new Tribute Les Paul! [biggrin]

Hello s0uldrift3r, and congrats on your beautiful new Les Paul guitar! [thumbup] Looks nice! [wub]

I think they could have used some filler in order to even the surface out, but there's no functional problem.

To be honest, there might be structural recesses like the one you pictured on my guitars with glossy finishes, and I weren't able to find without high-tech gear like ultrasonic finish thickness meters. Anyway, I just don't care and play them guitars. Nice playability and pleasant tone, that's what count in my opinion.

Enjoy picking your new Tribute Les Paul! [biggrin]

Hey capmaster

thank you for your reply and kind words I appreciate it!

I agree playability is key, i have to say this guitar stays in tune very well, and can hold up to my string bending!

again thanks man for your reply! [thumbup]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived