#3 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • Group: Members
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:09 AM

View Posttx-ogre, on 10 June 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

Looks ready to spring into action at any moment. [biggrin]

Yeah I thought I saw an eye open there for a second...Grin~

She found something smelly to roll in today and had a bit of a bath but by the smell of it she's going to get a bigger bath tomorrow.

The joy of long haired dogs~

#4 User is offline   Whitefang 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI (home of the MC5!)

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:52 AM

But, don't you sleep better knowing your SOFA is safe? ;)

Whitefang

#5 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 11 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostWhitefang, on 11 June 2017 - 03:52 AM, said:

But, don't you sleep better knowing your SOFA is safe? ;)

Whitefang

Grin~

To be honest if I'm home on my own with crook hearing (and with the music blasting) I never know if there is anyone on the property or approaching the house.

I joke about Bella sleeping a lot but she is a good "Distant Early Warning" system for a deaf old bugger like me. I've particularly watched her reactions and she can hear Gael coming up the road in the car some 300 metres away. Of course she does tend to "False Alarm" quite a bit!!

#6 User is offline   Retired 

• The Ham bone is connected to the ........
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

Digger said:

1497215707[/url]' post='1861539']
Grin~

To be honest if I'm home on my own with crook hearing (and with the music blasting) I never know if there is anyone on the property or approaching the house.

I joke about Bella sleeping a lot but she is a good "Distant Early Warning" system for a deaf old bugger like me. I've particularly watched her reactions and she can hear Gael coming up the road in the car some 300 metres away. Of course she does tend to "False Alarm" quite a bit!!

Ha ha, you have the same problem I do. Deb tells me all the time I'd never hear someone breaking in the house. Says I can't hear nothing. Posted ImagePosted Image Sundance is our alarm too. He has that large bread bark that would make someone Crap their pants on the porch. It sounds like he's in a fight with a big raccoon. Bella looks too cute there Rob.
Herman

#7 User is offline   Whitefang 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:50 AM

View PostRetired, on 11 June 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

Ha ha, you have the same problem I do. Deb tells me all the time I'd never hear someone breaking in the house. Says I can't hear nothing. Posted ImagePosted Image Sundance is our alarm too. He has that large bread bark that would make someone Crap their pants on the porch. It sounds like he's in a fight with a big raccoon. Bella looks too cute there Rob.

Last dogs I had were two Shih-Tzus that would bark at anything blowing down the road. Warning me of dead leaves approaching the house or cars driving by. They'd even run to the front door barking like mad when they heard the doorbell ring.....on TV! :D
Whitefang

#8 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

Good one WF!

Bella is so cute, every night she goes to the door wanting to go out at about 6 pm. (It's dark here by then ATM). I give her time to do her business and than go out to find her sitting by her kennel waiting for me to tie her up.

She loves her bed~

#9 User is offline   Retired 

• LocationUSA

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:41 PM

Whitefang said:

1497264607[/url]' post='1861668']
Last dogs I had were two Shih-Tzus that would bark at anything blowing down the road. Warning me of dead leaves approaching the house or cars driving by. They'd even run to the front door barking like mad when they heard the doorbell ring.....on TV! :D
Whitefang

The show Dobermans I've had aren't barking dogs. But they will defend the home and people in It. Sundance isn't the same as the rest I've had. Got him out of Georgia from a breeder I knew. She showed Bandit in the Nationals way back. He's a Barking dog. He goes out and barks at the birds trying to land in the yard. Barks at the neighbors across the street. He's more like the hound we used to have and he barked at leaves blowing in the yard. When I used to work neither of us got much sleep. Woke us up all night long barking at the cars going down the street two blocks away. Smartest dog we ever had but I'd never get another hound. Well, if Deb ever went before me, Maybe as I'd need a great hearing dog letting me know what's going on around us. Tonight I was outside and I heard some gun shots go off up the street. So I put Sundance inside the house, grabbed my gun and checked out the front street. Turned out to be idiots up the street celebrating the Fourth of July on June twelfth.
Herman

#10 User is offline   Whitefang 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:50 AM

A lady(Karen) who lived two doors down from where I used to live had two Dobermans that would bark at me whenever I went through my backyard to my garage or anything else I would do back there. You'd also hear her yelling angrily at them to "Shut UUUUUPPPP!" :D

She came over once to apologize one day saying, "You shouldn't have to put up with their barking at you whenever you go through your own back yard." And I told her it was OK. "If they'll bark at ME going through MY back yard, then they'll probably bark at anyone ELSE going through it, and I could use that kind of information." :)

And indeed, they'd bark at anyone ELSE going through THEIR yards too, and a week after she came over with her apology, the guy on the OTHER side of her heard them barking, went to check it out and caught two guys who broke into his garage and were trying to carry out his snow blower! ;)
Whitefang

#11 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

Dogs are ultimately cool! Wasn't it Jeff Foxworthy who said that "if your front doorbell is a dog, you might be a redneck"? That's me. My Alaskan Husky (looks nearly identical to TVZ's 'Geraldine') doesn't bark in conventional fashion, but does an excellent wolf-like response to visitors knocking at the gate, so to speak.

#12 User is offline   Whitefang 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:13 AM

View PostOldCowboy, on 13 June 2017 - 10:03 PM, said:

Dogs are ultimately cool! Wasn't it Jeff Foxworthy who said that "if your front doorbell is a dog, you might be a redneck"? That's me. My Alaskan Husky (looks nearly identical to TVZ's 'Geraldine') doesn't bark in conventional fashion, but does an excellent wolf-like response to visitors knocking at the gate, so to speak.

Yeah, my daughter had one of those(Siberian). Does a combo "bark/howl" kind of thing, right?

Hers would do that whenever I went over for a visit. Rush to the gate across the driveway at the side of the house and start that. At first, I'd just "howl" back. Then HE'D howl back and we'd be across the gate from each other "howling" to each other. It became our "thing" so to speak.

After the first time, whenever I went over there, Dakota( his name) would rush to the gate, recognize it was me, then wait until I got out of my car, wait until I walked up to the gae, THEN just start howling, in anticipation of our routine "serenade"! :D
Whitefang

#13 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 14 June 2017 - 06:56 AM

Whitefang, on 14 June 2017 - 05:13 AM, said:

Yeah, my daughter had one of those(Siberian). Does a combo "bark/howl" kind of thing, right?

Hers would do that whenever I went over for a visit. Rush to the gate across the driveway at the side of the house and start that. At first, I'd just "howl" back. Then HE'D howl back and we'd be across the gate from each other "howling" to each other. It became our "thing" so to speak.

After the first time, whenever I went over there, Dakota( his name) would rush to the gate, recognize it was me, then wait until I got out of my car, wait until I walked up to the gae, THEN just start howling, in anticipation of our routine "serenade"! :D
Whitefang

Yeah, the 'bark/howl' definitely nails it. To me, it's interesting that 'Alaskan Huskies' are considered to be a type rather than a breed. The supposedly ideal way to breed 'em is crossing a Siberian w/a Doberman (I've read a lot on the subject and have talked with some breeders as well). Once you're aware that they're out there, you begin to notice how many are actually around. Great dogs! My youngest daughter had a Siberian that I got to raise (😒) and she was wonderful, too. Some are jumpers and some are diggers - all are runners. Takes effort to keep up with 'em, but well worth it.

#14 User is offline   ikeus 

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

View PostDigger, on 10 June 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

My favorite breed... with a little Golden Retriever thrown in.. They don't get any better!!
Any companion that howls or talks to you is cool!

#15 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:00 PM

View Postikeus, on 14 June 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

My favorite breed... with a little Golden Retriever thrown in.. They don't get any better!!
Any companion that howls or talks to you is cool!

Bell doesn't howl but she barks and she talks to you....bloody funny at times trying to tell us something!

She's a pure bred Border Collie.

This is her as a pup!

#16 User is offline   Whitefang 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:05 AM

I think the "dog world" prefers "pedigreed" instead of the equine "pure bred", but in the case of Great Danes and Dobermans, the latter better suffices. ;)

Anyway, my brother in law Stan once had a brown Doberman named Max. HUGE motherjumper! "Saddle UP" huge! But basically a sweetheart. My wife(before we were married) used to have a toy Poodle named(what else?) Misty that she insisted we took EVERYwhere with us. And when we went to her sister's (Stan's wife) that little Poodle would charge out of the car an go after Max barking like wild. And Max would dash off in a FRIGHT! :D

Our little Grandniece, three at the time( 30 this year) used to call the dog "Baby Max"! Tickled the HELL out of me.

The poor dog got some kind of illness that caused him to constantly "dry heave" and had to be put down.
Whitefang

#17 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

View PostWhitefang, on 15 June 2017 - 05:05 AM, said:

I think the "dog world" prefers "pedigreed" instead of the equine "pure bred", but in the case of Great Danes and Dobermans, the latter better suffices. ;)

Anyway, my brother in law Stan once had a brown Doberman named Max. HUGE motherjumper! "Saddle UP" huge! But basically a sweetheart. My wife(before we were married) used to have a toy Poodle named(what else?) Misty that she insisted we took EVERYwhere with us. And when we went to her sister's (Stan's wife) that little Poodle would charge out of the car an go after Max barking like wild. And Max would dash off in a FRIGHT! :D

Our little Grandniece, three at the time( 30 this year) used to call the dog "Baby Max"! Tickled the HELL out of me.

The poor dog got some kind of illness that caused him to constantly "dry heave" and had to be put down.
Whitefang

I deliberately avoided using the word "pedigreed" WF because some people that use it are trying to sound elitist about the fact they could afford and expensive dog from a breeder, I just didn't want to sound like that.

You are right of course.

#18 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

It was funny last night, Bela wanted to go out just before we dished up tea. When I finished eating I went out with a torch as she is usually waiting by her kennel to be tied up so she can go to bed, but I was a bit longer than I usually am.

When I walked around the end of the house and shon the torch where she's usually sitting waiting, she wasn't there so I started calling.

I called a couple of times and no Bella, then I felt this little face nuzzle my hand! I was standing in front of her kennel and she was in there but I didn't notice.

Little sweetheart was saying "I was too tired to wait, here I am dad"

Bloody gorgeous!

#19 User is offline   Retired 

• LocationUSA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

When I married Deb. she had a black toy poodle named Joe and I had Tie, a black Doberman. Bella is very cute Rob. Reminds me of a little Panda bear.
Herman

#20 User is offline   Retired 

• LocationUSA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

Digger said:

1497558522[/url]' post='1862286']
I deliberately avoided using the word "pedigreed" WF because some people that use it are trying to sound elitist about the fact they could afford and expensive dog from a breeder, I just didn't want to sound like that.

You are right of course.

Some of the best ones are adopted from the humane society. Our last one was by our son and when he joined the Navy we took Smokey. He was a mutt. Mostly Walker Treeing Hound with some other hound in him. Smartest dog I've ever seen in my life. He learned exactly what we were talking about and so Deb and I started spelling words to throw him off and Smokey learned to spell too. We would spell a word and he knew exactly what it was. Got so darn excited and ran around. Then we used pig Latin as they called it and he never figure that out. He would tilt his head and just look with his ears cocked up like What?
Herman

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users