Gibson Brands Forums

Body altering a guitar

Izzy

I have my Hondo. The Strat I have is comfy because of the dip on the (picture the guitar neck pointing up) lower right side, where my forearm rests. My Hondo doesn't have that dip. Is it criminal for me to consider cutting the wood to make that dip. I'd let Neil do it, not me, no way. He builds guitars.

I know some a-hole did a horrible thing to an SG, I saw it on a thread here and it broke my heart. I just want a comfy rest spot. Is it going to f up the guitar bad to do it? Have y'all done it!? [mellow]

It's a mass-produced, inanimate object of no historical, cultural or scientific value to speak, which you have legally purchased.....I'm neither a preacher nor a lawyer but I'd reckon you're on extremely safe ground to avoid all counts of sacrilege or criminality here.

I have my Hondo. The Strat I have is comfy because of the dip on the (picture the guitar neck pointing up) lower right side, where my forearm rests. My Hondo doesn't have that dip. Is it criminal for me to consider cutting the wood to make that dip. I'd let Neil do it, not me, no way. He builds guitars.

I know some a-hole did a horrible thing to an SG, I saw it on a thread here and it broke my heart. I just want a comfy rest spot. Is it going to f up the guitar bad to do it? Have y'all done it!? [mellow]

i haven't done it myself, but i had a close friend who did it to a hondo explorer from back in the 80's. i don't see it as sacrilege (on a hondo or similar brand) but doing it to a les paul or american fender, or some other premium brand would go beyond my personal limits.

edit: i would add that when my buddy did it, he hacked the living daylights out of it, and stripped and repainted it. it played and sounded the same when he was done, just way pointier.

I had two of my MIM Floyd Rose Strats routed and drilled for battery, pcb circuit and wiring when having added an active GraphTech piezo bridge system. one additional routing is hidden by the stock pickguard, the other one is covered by the top of the battery case. I mention that because the routings were left unfinished.

The very rpoblem with having the outer surface of your Hondo routed might be the finish, for function and looks as well. Nitro finishes as used by Gibson never cure on principal and would allow for a partial refinishing or "new" finishing of the freshly revealed wooden surface. Polyacrylic, polyurethane or whatever poly finishes have cured within minutes after doing them as one piece. Doing it right would take complete stripping and refinishing of the instrument.

In other words, sacrilege or not, it is much more hands-on to alter the body of a Gibson - except for those with metallic finishes like gold or silver(burst) which include poly layers since many years.

It's a mass-produced, inanimate object of no historical, cultural or scientific value to speak, which you have legally purchased.....I'm neither a preacher nor a lawyer but I'd reckon you're on extremely safe ground to avoid all counts of sacrilege or criminality here.

I so agree. I've spent a lot of time customising my SG, to the extent that a purist wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. But it is perfect for me now, so what anyone else thinks is irrelevant.

I have my Hondo...........Is it criminal for me to consider cutting the wood to make that dip?...I just want a comfy rest spot. Is it going to f up the guitar bad to do it? Have y'all done it!? [mellow]

No; it's not criminal to want to make your own guitar more comfortable. Go for it, Izzy.

Whyever not? It's hardly like you are intending to trash a high-value / vintage / rare instrument.

FWIW a certain Mr. J. Beck did the same thing to his Esquire back in the day (the one pictured is a replica) so you would be in good company;

http://www.bravacast...pg?t=1423069926

Pip.

For a long time ago I've heard that Richie Blackmore made (by usual file) small deepenings between the frets on the neck of his Strat for comfort to do the string bends. I thought it was a joke. But Richie's game is really very unusual in the play technique, bends. And when Deep Purple In Rock came out, then many fell from the chair due to the new style and virtuosity forgetting for a while Creedence and Led Zeppeling who were fighting then for the crown of the Beatles.

It seems the said deepenings can be seen on the neck of Richie’s guitar (for example, since 2.48 min), it doesn't look like glares.

For a long time ago I've heard that Richie Blackmore made (by usual file) small deepenings between the frets on the neck of his Strat for comfort to do the string bends. I thought it was a joke. But Richie's game is really very unusual in the play technique, bends. And when Deep Purple In Rock came out, then many fell from the chair due to the new style and virtuosity forgetting for a while Creedence and Led Zeppeling who were fighting then for the crown of the Beatles.

It seems the said deepenings can be seen on the neck of Richie’s guitar (for example, since 2.48 min), it doesn't look like glares.

Hi Valeriy

Yes Blackmore 'scalloped' the fretboard; there was a Blackmore signature Strat at one time with this feature, believe he only did it on the higher frets.

Then Y Malmsteen also did it!

Thank you, jdgm. I was hoping that someone would confirm this.

So, Izzy may well make her signature Hondo too.

In turn, I've wanted Strat for a long time, it's comfortable in the game. When I bought it I tried to make my usual sound, but nothing happened as I did not try with single-coil pickups. Finally I put the humbuckers and now.... I have Stratocaster with 3 humbuckers [smile] , cool look. I'll show you later the photo. The middle humbucker needs paraffin, a little microphone effect from it. I'll do this in the next 2-3 days, perhaps.

No; it's not criminal to want to make your own guitar more comfortable. Go for it, Izzy.

Whyever not? It's hardly like you are intending to trash a high-value / vintage / rare instrument.

FWIW a certain Mr. J. Beck did the same thing to his Esquire back in the day (the one pictured is a replica) so you would be in good company;

http://www.bravacast...pg?t=1423069926

Pip.

YES!!

That is what I was wanting to do. I do consider it a bit of a vintage considering it is early 80s but mostly feel bad because my Hondo is like NEW looking. Either way, I will make it a signature Izzy Hondo with pro help from Neil Sargent.

It feels better when I get a consensus. [thumbup]

Who is this Bloomfield guy with the fed up Tele? Imma go do some homework now, Rabs!

[mellow]

69,811 members at this forum. And you think 9 is a consensus? :rolleyes:

Sounds like you are a big rationalizer... like me! [flapper]

Who cares what WE think. Do what YOU want!! [biggrin]

[mellow]

69,811 members at this forum. And you think 9 is a consensus? :rolleyes:

Sounds like you are a big rationalizer... like me! [flapper]

Who cares what WE think. Do what YOU want!! [biggrin]

I pretty much just look for the replies of like 3-6 people I've always listened to. [flapper]

I will post pics and give my opinion for sure. Preventing cubital tunnel syndrome *sigh

I find scalloping weird.

I've never played a scalloped guitar, so who knows. I just find the idea... weird.

I have a friend who is addicted to them. He has scalloped necks on nearly every guitar he owns now. I can play them, but it feels odd. And I have a monkey grip so I have to lighten up on chords big time or I will pull them sharp. I think it's more of an advantage for fast lead playing than anything else.

lol +1

YES!!

That is what I was wanting to do. I do consider it a bit of a vintage considering it is early 80s but mostly feel bad because my Hondo is like NEW looking. Either way, I will make it a signature Izzy Hondo with pro help from Neil Sargent.

Who is this Bloomfield guy with the fed up Tele? Imma go do some homework now, Rabs!

Bloomfield is an amazing guitarist. You've probably heard him on Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan. Like a Rolling Stone etc

He's from Chicago, mainly a blues player but really versatile

I think the Tele was modded by a subsequent owner, and it doesn't really look cool to my eyes because of the shocking asymmetry

I think the Tele was modded by a subsequent owner...

There was a thread about the Bloomfield Tele a few weeks ago.

From what I can remember Bloomfield traded it off in exchange for a LP Gold-Top and when the guy who got the Tele died it went to a lefty who did the body-chop to enable better upper fret access...

Pip.

EDIT : Here's pretty much all you need to know;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5oCY-1dnso

Surfpup: that's what I thought, too - gotta go sharp, right? Like I said, never played one.

Izzy, well, unless it has a can't-live-without-it tone now, and you'd die if it turned out s...t, then go for it (you got it really cheap, right?).

Not much of a modding guy myself, but then again I'm comfortable with one horn of a V between my legs (and then the guitar), so I can't really argue traditionalism.

Surfpup: that's what I thought, too - gotta go sharp, right? Like I said, never played one.

Oh yeah, totally. The scalloped neck is for playing fast and light. It sure ain't for my heavy-handed self!

Archived