Gibson Guitar Board: BB King "Lucille" availability? - Gibson Guitar Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BB King "Lucille" availability? I'm (now) confused...

#21 User is offline   Golden 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:20 AM

Im not seeing 7G for the guitar, marketing imo to eventually raise the price of a semi that was costing more than a 335 to build and had less of a return in value and popularity. They sold used for the same basic price as a 335 for a very long time. That said the better CS 335s are coming out at a little more than half that. I think its a matter of elevating the guitar to its proper price point eventually. You can buy a CS 359 or a 356 at 2500 used all day long basically unplayed. Not uncommon they did it with the SG too your paying basic RI prices for a Standard today as opposed to them blowing out Standards for 799. at the end of the year.

Oh well we shall see. That said they are a very nice electric with nice appointments. Further the ES line coming out of Memphis production are impressive imho. Perhaps not with high end appointments but the QC has been very good. More impressive than Nashville imho.

#22 User is offline   SteveFord 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPennsyltucky

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:07 AM

We're all familiar with Gibson's pricing strategies: sell a ton of them at a low price (like the Firebird last year) or raise the price and hope they sell more like the Lucille nowadays.
No offense to anyone but no Richlite for me on a Gibson. It might be a perfectly fine substitute for ebony but no thank you.

I bought my first Lucille in the early 1980s when it was supposed to be a very limited run of guitars instead of a production model and now own one from 2003, I think it is.
What I have noticed is that they're a hard guitar to come to grips with due to the fat neck and they take a LOT of playing to develop that familiar, broken-in feel to them.

I always think back to Steve Howe and his comment about how a guitar gives back what is put into them and it's certainly true with this model.
It's worth the struggle, though.
The poodle bites, the poodle chews it

#23 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Lunatic Fringe

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

Well, I have no problem, really, with "Richlite," as a fingerboard material. Lots of good guitar makers use it, not just Gibson.
But, it's "out of spec's," for Lucille, being a "Signature" model. And, yes, I know "Gibson reserves the right to change spec's at
any time," etc. Even so, I'm glad my 2002 has the Ebony board.

There were, apparently, in the early days of Gibson using Richlite, some instances of "shrinkage" differentials, resulting in some
separations of the Richlite boards, from the mahogany necks. The Richlite didn't shrink, but the mahogany did, as it "dried."
Anyone else hear about, or experience that anomaly? Seems more like, maybe, a gluing problem, than "shrinkage," but that's what I
heard/read about. Haven't heard anything since, so whatever it was, they must have taken care of it.

CB

#24 User is offline   chas1133 

Posted Yesterday, 05:36 PM

you gotta really want one to pay that kinda jack. Personally I do not like gold tuners, bridges and p/u covers...

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users