Gibson Brands Forums

BB King "Lucille" availability?

charlie brown

Confused! Is the BB King "Lucille," which is still listed on the Gibson "Memphis" category page, still IN production?

Because, on the "Out of Production" section, it's listed, as well! Or, does Gibson just do that, on each year's production,

to make way for the current year's (same) model, to allow for price increases? The "spec's" are the same, but the selling

price is significantly Higher!! Right at 7 Grand, now! [scared]

???!! [unsure]

CB

I've just checked :o

Holy Moly. Better buy one now before the 2018's arrive!

Why did Gibson never issue a 'Miss Gibson' guitar? Its what the Rev Gary Davis called his Gibson J200.

I have one, already, that I got in 2002, for $300-400 LESS, than a ES-335, at that time! I got it, because

at that time, Gibson was not issuing any of the standard ES-355's. And "Lucille" was the only option,

for awhile. My dealer sold it (brand new) to me, for $1,600 and change. And, it has the Ebony finger

board, as well. I was so surprised, by the price, that I made them tell me, a couple of times, that I

was, in fact, not "dreaming" it. LOL They said (at that time) the BB King model was of limited demand,

and the ES-335's sold at 10/1 over "Lucille!" Which is probably still true?! But, for that price, it was a real

"no brainer" for me, even though, aside from "Les Paul's," I (generally) stay away from endorsement

gear. But, there was, and still is, no buyer's remorse, with "Lucille!" It's a awesome "axe!" [thumbup][wub][biggrin]

I was just curious, when I was checking the "Out of Production" category, as to "Why" Lucille was on there,

when it's still listed, for 2016-2017?!!

CB

Confused! Is the BB King "Lucille," which is still listed on the Gibson "Memphis" category page, still IN production?

Because, on the "Out of Production" section, it's listed, as well! Or, does Gibson just do that, on each year's production,

to make way for the current year's (same) model, to allow for price increases? The "spec's" are the same, but the selling

price is significantly Higher!! Right at 7 Grand, now! [scared]

???!! [unsure]

CB

those have been in and out of production for 25 years so far... only issue is there costing more everytime a person waits for the next reissue of the reissues.... BTW.. any one spending 7000.00 grand on one of these.. just has to much money floating around.. 1993 about 2500.00 bought a new one.. 7000 back then got you a L5 ces

those have been in and out of production for 25 years so far... only issue is there costing more everytime a person waits for the next reissue of the reissues.... BTW.. any one spending 7000.00 grand on one of these.. just has to much money floating around.. 1993 about 2500.00 bought a new one.. 7000 back then got you a L5 ces

Yeah, I guess "I" just don't remember a time when "Lucille" was NOT in production, since it's release. Who knows? [tongue][biggrin]

As to the price...yeah, I tend to feel that way about a LOT of Gibson's, these days! [crying]

Maybe Epiphone will continue to be the more reasonable choice, for "the working musician," anymore???

Seems like Gibson is catering to the Collector/investor, Rock Stars, and Millionaires, more than the

average working musician. [tongue][unsure] But, I guess if one wants a "Real Gibson," one will

just save for it, price be damned...or, so they figure? :unsure:

So, I'm very thankful to have the Gibson's I have, and to have purchased them, when I did!! [biggrin]

I only have about 3 guitars I'd (still) Love to have...a ES-345 Historic, a Guild (acoustic) 512 12-string,

and a Martin OOO or OM 28! But, at my station in life, those are (more likely) a "pipe dream!"

But, I can't complain, and I'm totally OK with=Grateful for, what I have!

CB

The king of the ES family, that's for sure.

bb_zpsojqs9vzm.jpg

lucille1a_zps7918df8c.jpg

Seven grand is idiotic but perhaps that explains why their 2017 Memphis line up now consists of 4 Limited Runs.

For those of you who haven't played one, these have a totally different feel than the 335s.

I like them both but don't think that a Lucille is just a dolled up 335 without F holes. It feels more like a very large solid body guitar.

Interesting, too...that "Lucille," at 7 Grand, only comes in "Black!" For 7 Grand, you should be able to

get it in (at least) Red, as well...don't you think?! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

For an additional $1500 they might find some red paint - but B.B.s Lucille was black so I suppose that is the true color.

For an additional $1500 they might find some red paint - but B.B.s Lucille was black so I suppose that is the true color.

I know, but at some point, in it's run, Gibson included a "Cherry Red" option. And, at far less a selling

price, than now. [scared][tongue][biggrin] But, I'm sure you're right, they're just selling BB's favorite color.

Interesting CB, I just realized the price change. I almost did the same as you and bought one a few years ago in NY while they were well priced. Red too. You might have beat me to it. [thumbup]

Yeah, I didn't know about the "Red" option, at the time I got mine (Black), but I have NO regrets, at all! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

1497782095[/url]' post='1862800']

Looks like you have to spend 9 grand to get ebony.

http://www.gibson.co...aul-Ultima.aspx

As is often tweeted at 3AM, SAD!

That's what I thought I wanted so bad. I listened to them being played by the experts on the Net. Loved that sound. Then when Deb gave me the Ok to get one I took a new model down and played it for awhile on a amp, I just never felt bonded to it. For the high price they were asking for it I didn't think it was worth it Steve. It wasn't Ebony fret board, stuff was loose all over it for a new guitar and I couldn't get the varitone switch to work right. That's why I fell in love with the a Gretsch I took down and a ton cheaper. Hope that's ok to post here?

That's what I thought I wanted so bad. I listened to them being played by the experts on the Net. Loved that sound. Then when Deb gave me the Ok to get one I took a new model down and played it for awhile on a amp, I just never felt bonded to it. For the high price they were asking for it I didn't think it was worth it Steve. It wasn't Ebony fret board, stuff was loose all over it for a new guitar and I couldn't get the varitone switch to work right. That's why I fell in love with the a Gretsch I took down and a ton cheaper. Hope that's ok to post here?

Can't, and won't speak for Steve...but, there's a LOT of Gretsch lovers here, me included. Lucille is an awesome guitar,

though not for everyone. And, even less so, I suspect, at $7000! One can get 2 White Falcons, for that! [tongue] But,

they both have their own distinct voicing, and both are quite versatile, IMHO. So, whatever floats your boat!! [biggrin]

CB

Im not seeing 7G for the guitar, marketing imo to eventually raise the price of a semi that was costing more than a 335 to build and had less of a return in value and popularity. They sold used for the same basic price as a 335 for a very long time. That said the better CS 335s are coming out at a little more than half that. I think its a matter of elevating the guitar to its proper price point eventually. You can buy a CS 359 or a 356 at 2500 used all day long basically unplayed. Not uncommon they did it with the SG too your paying basic RI prices for a Standard today as opposed to them blowing out Standards for 799. at the end of the year.

Oh well we shall see. That said they are a very nice electric with nice appointments. Further the ES line coming out of Memphis production are impressive imho. Perhaps not with high end appointments but the QC has been very good. More impressive than Nashville imho.

We're all familiar with Gibson's pricing strategies: sell a ton of them at a low price (like the Firebird last year) or raise the price and hope they sell more like the Lucille nowadays.

No offense to anyone but no Richlite for me on a Gibson. It might be a perfectly fine substitute for ebony but no thank you.

I bought my first Lucille in the early 1980s when it was supposed to be a very limited run of guitars instead of a production model and now own one from 2003, I think it is.

What I have noticed is that they're a hard guitar to come to grips with due to the fat neck and they take a LOT of playing to develop that familiar, broken-in feel to them.

I always think back to Steve Howe and his comment about how a guitar gives back what is put into them and it's certainly true with this model.

It's worth the struggle, though.

Well, I have no problem, really, with "Richlite," as a fingerboard material. Lots of good guitar makers use it, not just Gibson.

But, it's "out of spec's," for Lucille, being a "Signature" model. And, yes, I know "Gibson reserves the right to change spec's at

any time," etc. Even so, I'm glad my 2002 has the Ebony board.

There were, apparently, in the early days of Gibson using Richlite, some instances of "shrinkage" differentials, resulting in some

separations of the Richlite boards, from the mahogany necks. The Richlite didn't shrink, but the mahogany did, as it "dried."

Anyone else hear about, or experience that anomaly? Seems more like, maybe, a gluing problem, than "shrinkage," but that's what I

heard/read about. Haven't heard anything since, so whatever it was, they must have taken care of it.

CB

Archived