Gibson Brands Forums

Cord Jack Keeps Loosening

QuestionMark

I would use and external tooth lock washer on the inside, just under the wood.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-4-Stainless-Steel-External-Tooth-Lock-Washer-70-Pack-43798/204794826

I like my jacks to be flush with the wood on the outside, so this lock washer on the inside would be in conjunction with a clinch-nut and/or flat washer. Then you have to be able to tighten it all up without twisting off the wires. I use a pair of large curved jaw hemostats for this by grabbing the base of the tip spring contact, either through the f-hole, or through the plug hole itself. Tighten outside nut securely (nut driver, or open-end wrench depending on where the clamp is), but not too tight.

• 5 months later...

Here is what I do. On the exposed part of the jack thread, put a little bit of clear nail polish. The nut will not spin off, if you do need to do maintenance you can break the seal easily. Works like a charm.

As a caution when applying the nail polish, cover your guitar with a cloth in case you drip any. [biggrin]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Farnsbarns

Threadlock suck as locktite. There are 2 grades. One you won't get undone without heating it to 700 degrees, and another, which you can simply brute force off. You want the latter.

Archived