Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's sizing for the Bridge Pickup Cover is WRONG

dava4444

Hi

Just wanted to share some feedback on the chrome pickup covers, the neck spacing is fine but the bridge does not fit. I have bought 2 sets of Gibson Gear covers and both times the bridge did not fit the pole spacing, with the holes on the bridge cover being too far apart.

Like I said the neck is fine, perfect even, but the bridge is waaay off.

looks similar to what Nelson describes in this video:

Q: are you sure these are 'Gibson Gear'

A: yes, both times. had original packaging, bar code, serial, made in the USA etc. the chrome even 'feels' high quality to the touch.

Q: what pickups did you fit the covers to?

A: a 491T and a DFT*

Q: are you aware of F-Spacing?

A: Im not 100% on the concept but it seems it's wider to accommodate a trem bridge type; So F-Spaced covers would not be important to Gibson, as 90% of Gibson's have no trem.

Do any Gibson design staff check these forums?

I hope so, and I hope this helps!

Dava

*(Dirty Fingers Treble) both Gibson, USA made, pickups.

Do the pole pieces measure the same for both pickups? Are they both the same? I've read that sometimes one pickup cover works for both pickups, depending on which pickup it is. I can't remember the dimensions or which is which. I know this isn't incredibly helpful but I think they're aware of it.

Do the pole pieces measure the same for both pickups? Are they both the same? I've read that sometimes one pickup cover works for both pickups, depending on which pickup it is. I can't remember the dimensions or which is which. I know this isn't incredibly helpful but I think they're aware of it.

so.. buy 2 neck covers?.. hmm interesting :) ..

:CHECKS WITH DIGITAL CALIPERS:

WELL DONE Michael! Eureka!

That was it..both spacings are exactly the same on both guitars..

the bridge humbuckers both need neck covers for correct spacing.

I hope this helps others, and help Gibson sort out the naming of their neck covers to 'universal cover' and their bridge into 'f-spaced cover'.

hi I have a Les Paul 2009 1959 reissue with burst bunkers 1 &2 It didn't have covers does any one know the spacing? some said it was 49,2 mm - or 1 15/16 and another guy said it was 52mm or 2 5/64 If any one knows please info me. Thanks in advance .

hi I have a Les Paul 2009 1959 reissue with burst bunkers 1 &2 It didn't have covers does any one know the spacing? some said it was 49,2 mm - or 1 15/16 and another guy said it was 52mm or 2 5/64 If any one knows please info me. Thanks in advance .

dusty.. is it the cover spacing you need?

if so the neck spacing on my DFN (Dirty Fingers Neck) cover is 54mm pole to pole (outside the pole).

that was a Gibson Gear Chrome cover, and for me it sild into place very nicely.

The (again Gibson Gear) bridge however, welp, mine is a bit bashed, it also shorted the DFT middle coil coz it didn't fit when I was forcing it into place.. that measurement, well, I dunno, but i'll measure the holes, around 58mm (again outside, not the center of the pole) mine is a little warped because of all the work to get it on.. center four poles lined up, then for the outer two poles I had to take those out then screw them in at an angle until they were close enough.

All the Gibson humbuckers with an "R" suffix and all the PAF-style humbuckers, that is '57 Classics, '57 Classic Pluses, BurstBuckers 1; 2; 3, Pro Neck and Pro Bridge and '59 Tributes have the "R" or Rhythm spacing measuring 49.2mm between E1 and E6 pole centers. This is often called just neck spacing although it applies to lots of pickups used for middle and bridge position, too.

Dirty Fingers, Dirty Fingers Pluses which by the way usually have twelve adjustable pole pieces, and all the humbuckers with a "T" suffix have the "T" or Treble spacing of 52mm between E1 and E6 pole centers. It is pretty close to the "F" like "Fender" or "Floyd Rose" spacing.

Hope this helps with clearing up.

All the Gibson humbuckers with an "R" suffix and all the PAF-style humbuckers, that is '57 Classics, '57 Classic Pluses, BurstBuckers 1; 2; 3, Pro Neck and Pro Bridge and '59 Tributes have the "R" or Rhythm spacing measuring 49.2mm between E1 and E6 pole centers. This is often called just neck spacing although it applies to lots of pickups used for middle and bridge position, too.

Dirty Fingers, Dirty Fingers Pluses which by the way usually have twelve adjustable pole pieces, and all the humbuckers with a "T" suffix have the "T" or Treble spacing of 52mm between E1 and E6 pole centers. It is pretty close to the "F" like "Fender" or "Floyd Rose" spacing.

Hope this helps with clearing up.

Hi cap

I just wanted to clear up, I was using the cover holes and not the poles for the measurement. I have DF (Dirty Fingers neck and bridge), and when I measured from the center poles, they were identical. suggesting a neck cover would have slid on the bridge no problem.

I'll check again with my digital calipers.. sec..

yip the same. I've got a little warping because I had to angle the poles DFN :46.5mm (center not outside) and DFT 49mm (center not outside) would have been 46.5mm without the warping. When I get some spare cash (im broke just now..bought a Godin SD24 that needed some parts etc) I'll buy a Gibson Gear Neck cover and switch it out on the DFT, and come back and update you guys.

Archived