Gibson Brands Forums

New Epiphone SL Models

iluvcrap2000

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You kniow , I actually visit a few places other than "here" really. I have not played one , yet. To me , they do look great...but. I have read that the neck may need to be shimmed for proper action and such things. Only what I have read. You know how to make a neck poket shim, right ? google youtube not all that difficult, maybe. :) It is a good thing to know imho , if you own a "bolt on" neck guitar :) It may also be a good thing to practice your technical skills on , like a total rebuild , electronics , tuners , pickups , strings, switches tone and volume things , tuning key things. The guitar is very cost effective , and if your into doing improvements well , to me , its most likely a perfect thing for doing those types of things to imho. Also ,having not actually played one, and , being an Epiphone , It is probably great , just the way it is , maybe...probably :) :)msp_thumbup.gif They do look cool , to me :) msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Interesting. I would think the tuners, for instance, would be the same as on my PlusTop. And they're every bit as good as the Grovers on my Gibson V... Well, they look the same and both work well.

Kind of like the color! Shh - don't tell anyone.

Couldn't be arsed to watch the whole thing (well, I could, but am on a crap connection), did he mention the fret wire?

I've been on a Slash kick lately, and while they intonate perfectly, my frets are assuming a pyramid shape. The good thing is they're evenly crap.

A refret is half the price of a 2018 Gibson Tribute. I'm a bit GASsy.

I can see it already: Mom shouting, what, you stopped eating?

Me: that's the gist of it, yes.

Mom: you can't do that!

Me: I can. I have. I did. I will.

I guess it's a parent thing - I don't want to make it seem like I go hungry. My priorities are askew at times, let's put it that way.

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered 2 of them i have the first one its a great guitar for the money it plays well and it doesn't look that bad i am giving one as a gift for Christmas. Great guitar to start with i didn't have a guitar at that price when i started playing . I put new strings on it and set it up its a great guitar . And i am going to keep one for my self .

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered one today from Sam Ash. This one:

POP_LPSL-SY.jpg

I don't listen to all the naysayers. For $99 it's a no brainer. I've seen some great demo videos on these and for this amount of change - the worse that can happen is I end up with a great wall hanger for my studio.

It won't be here until next Wednesday because it's being shipped Fedex [thumbdn] but I've been waiting for over 2 1/2 months now since I first read about these and finally someone got them in stock. I'll post a thorough review and pictures when she gets here. :)

It's finally here! Haven't played her yet as I'm letting the guitar adjust to the indoor temperature after being in a cold truck before I tune her up. I inspected it looking for any imperfections - there aren't any. Will review afterwhile when I've had time to play her for a god long while. "I've got sunshine on a cloudy day" :)

23844449_1701818893201562_5166492549839605257_n.jpg?oh=b0a741b9750ba8b0492ff721ea5c0f7a&oe=5A8E04C8

Wow!!! Colour me impressed!!

Not that I judge a guitar on price, a good guitar is where you find it (I've got a Signature by Gibson from a few year ago to LP Customs). What looks totally impressive to me on this is the fret work (at least from your pics) as that has been in my experience the down fall of most cheap guitars.

Let us know if you're just as happy after playing the crap out of it for a while.

Johnny

I've read at various sources that the pickups aren't single coils but stacked humbuckers. Which is it?

From the Epiphone website:

Neck Pickup Epiphone 650SCR™ Ceramic Single-Coil

Bridge Pickup Epiphone 700SCT™ Ceramic Single-Coil

I played the guitar most of the evening & have no complaints whatsoever. She held tune beautifully & sounded great. I ran it thru a Roland JC-22 and a Fender Blues Junior with no pedals whatsoever. Just guitar to amp & it was wonderful all the way around. I had a blast! [thumbup]

I will have one with the cherry finish by next week some tme . That yellow thing looks ....yellow . I am ...well , happy , I guess to hear that the thing "plays great" , Yes , I am quite happy indeed to hear that :) I guess time will tell. Heck , for $99.00 I might obtain a few of the things and set them up for slide in various tunings ...May be better than a "auto tuner" thing , maybe . I think that , myself :)

peace

:)

I got my Turquoise one today . I will put pictures up of both of them this week . The first one is cherry burst. I like the flat finish on the cherry burst feels like a piece of wood in my hands. If you have 99 dollars you dont know what to do with i would buy one . The cherry burst i tuned it up and play it for about 3 hours and i tuned it one time and she is staying in tune great

I got my Turquoise one today . I will put pictures up of both of them this week . The first one is cherry burst. I like the flat finish on the cherry burst feels like a piece of wood in my hands. If you have 99 dollars you dont know what to do with i would buy one . The cherry burst i tuned it up and play it for about 3 hours and i tuned it one time and she is staying in tune great

Again , your post has made me more confident these ...well , to put it bluntly . these cheap Epiphone guitars , are completely most awesome . I have read several reviews , some great , others .well , others said the neck pocket may need to be shimmed ...that is easy enough , even I have done that a few times with some cut up expired credit cards .lol , it worked , quite great , actually . But I really expect the things to be , perfect , actually . I guess time will tell :) next week . I did order the brown one also , but it will be a few months for that to be delivered . Hey , maybe Epiphone is making the one I ordered , right now. :)

I'm quite interested in viewing any photos you might post :) that would be most excellent of you :) :) 1 more question , did you tighten up all the nuts , bolts and screws ? well again

right on :)

peace :)

Archived