Gibson Brands Forums

New Epiphone SL Models

iluvcrap2000

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. Basically a 2 pickup short-scale Strat, which makes it the worst of both worlds.

Rather have them reissue the double cut thin body melody maker rather than these defeciant models. I'm puzzled by Gibsons Decision to create this line, they should have learned something by the low cost flop of their gibson bottom barrel guitar line they wanted to try the epi branch and see how that goes? Is it competition for Squier(As they issued more cheaper models as well this quarter). [scared][confused] [confused] Making and getting more guitars out there isn't the answer. Improve the quality, features and brand worth is more important. This is just cheapening it more.

of side note, Epi hasn't upgraded the LP Ultra III since it came out in 2014.

They look like junk to me. Fender style single coils, short scale, wrapover tailpiece/bridge. I'd play one to verify just how bad they are. My guitar strap cost me almost as much as that guitar. You get what you pay for. This is basically a Squier Bullet with a LP-ish shape.

Are these bolt on or set necks? No specs in sweetwater page.

Bolt on. Set necks cost more to produce as it takes more time to let the glue in the neck set properly. Bolt on's are way easier and cheaper to produce as it takes less time to install and be ready for next step in production line.

It's a beginners guitar. Nothing wrong with that, you have to start somewhere.

Just not here. a little up the line. This is what you buy your newbie teenager that wants to be a rock star and they get bored with it the first month and it sits in the garage for 5 years till pops puts it up in the garage sale for $50. pfft.

Iluvcrap: that's my perspective too. Most people who start out on a POS guitar lose interest quickly, at least in my experience. My suggestion to anybody who's ever asked me has always been that they should spend in the vicinity of 500 bucks (e.g., an Epi LP Plustop Pro over here in tax-happy Sweden, or a hundred bucks shy of a MIM Strat), or not bother.

And I'm no elitist. At all. It's just been my experience that, ESPECIALLY when you're starting out, you need a decent guitar. The last thing you need as a novice is a wreck that can't even hold its tuning.

I realize not everyone can afford a decent guitar, though - even if they prioritize. But if you can cut back on whatever, then it's money well spent.

• 2 weeks later...

These have stacked humbuckers. Reverb had a thing on them saying they were $99, when I looked them up only Sweetwater had them at $119. From the pictures they look pretty nice to myself. I own three real Lesters and one is a Standard. I could see me picking one of these up bolt on or not. My main concern is what the pickups sound like. I hope they would not be like the Epi bolt on SG Specials. I have one of those which I'm looking into changing the pups out on.

Archived