Gibson Brands Forums

Old-ish Gibson Acoustic Case

TexasFlatpicker

Well it's certainly big enough for any jumbo model. As far as dating it, I've had a few that look like it come and go, and though they held 50's and 60's smaller models I can't recall if they were the originals.

What Martin did you buy?

Well it's certainly big enough for any jumbo model. As far as dating it, I've had a few that look like it come and go, and though they held 50's and 60's smaller models I can't recall if they were the originals.

What Martin did you buy?

I got a '56 D18 and it was shipped in this case. It doesn't fit the guitar very well.

The last year for the Gibson brown Lifton case was 1960. Gibson started using the black cases with the yellow lining the following year. Not sure how long Gibson used them but I believe they were available through the rest of the 1960s. I believe these were built by Victoria Luggage. These were not custom built cases so the fit may not always be perfect.

Mid thru late 1960's - the badge and lining are good clues. The badge was less common by 1968, and the lining changed from the 'furry' stuff to what you have by @'64. As with most things Gibson, dates are approximate. Those cases are pretty decent in most instances - if I were in your situation, I'd consider using it toward an era-correct case for your Martin.

Mid thru late 1960's - the badge and lining are good clues. The badge was less common by 1968, and the lining changed from the 'furry' stuff to what you have by @'64. As with most things Gibson, dates are approximate. Those cases are pretty decent in most instances - if I were in your situation, I'd consider using it toward an era-correct case for your Martin.

Thanks. That what I was thinking. Besides it doesn't fit the Martin very well.

Thanks. That what I was thinking. Besides it doesn't fit the Martin very well.

I had an experience similar to yours 'way long ago (1972). Bought a new D-28 w/o case and the store threw in an oversized, used, badgeless Gibson case. It postdates yours, and I kept it around empty for 20+ years. Finally found a vintage Gibson J-185 that fits it very nicely. I enjoy cases😎

It is not always a matter of year when it comes to case differences but manufacturer. Gibson began contracting with Ess & Ess as well as Victoria Luggage for cases in the mid-1960s. The Ess & Ess cases, however, were far less common.

It is not always a matter of year when it comes to case differences but manufacturer. Gibson began contracting with Ess & Ess as well as Victoria Luggage for cases in the mid-1960s. The Ess & Ess cases, however, were far less common.

True enough. Are we case nerds, or what?

Looks an awful lot like a case I bought that used to house a Martin D-28:

IMGP1076.jpg

Story was a local guy bought a D-28 back in the early '60s and the store that sold it to them gave him this late '50s/early '60s Gibson case for the Martin.

I came to hear about it when the D-28 came in to my luthier's shop for some servicing, and I offered to buy it from him, which I did. It now houses a much more appropriate late '50s Country Western.

Fred

So the challenge now is not only to find an appropriate case for the Martin but a compatible Gibson for that case, right?

In the world of normal folks, probably not. However, I have to admit that in the alternate dimension where most of us feel most at home, you speak with great logic and wisdom😎

I've been trying to talk a friend out of selling me his '47 J-45 for years now. I'll wear him down eventually......

I hereby place my name at the top of the list if you should come to possess said guitar and feel the need to find it a new home. That's my birth year guitar!

I hereby place my name at the top of the list if you should come to possess said guitar and feel the need to find it a new home. That's my birth year guitar!

Stand in line, pal.

I sold my 1947 birth year L-7 this year, so there's room in the stable.

Stand in line, pal.

I sold my 1947 birth year L-7 this year, so there's room in the stable.

I suppose you figure you have a couple days seniority, thus allowing you to treat me like a little brother/younger twin.

I have no shame

And would do the same...

That scans like crap, but I understand your reasoning😳

This is a 1957 Gibson Southern Jumbo case. A customer of mine had an allergic reaction to this guitar he had bought from my friends father. He got a new case and gave me this one. It is for sale. One end of the handle is broken, it is the handle itself, the metal pin is still intact.

WP_20170617_001.jpg

WP_20170617_002.jpg

This is a 1957 Gibson Southern Jumbo case. A customer of mine had an allergic reaction to this guitar he had bought from my friends father. He got a new case and gave me this one. It is for sale. One end of the handle is broken, it is the handle itself, the metal pin is still intact.

WP_20170617_001.jpg

I have what looks like almost that exact same case, but bought in 1968, and not Gibson branded. As I recall, it was sold to me as a Martin case, but pretty generic dread-sized. It does not have an endpin recess, and is a somewhat loose fit for a J-45. Mine may not have as much "shaping" in the neck area as yours.

WP_20170617_001.jpg

The case looks like nothing I have seen supplied by Gibson in the 1950s or 1960s. I agree with J45nick on this one as the case does look more like a late 1960s Harptone case provided with Martins. A couple of good photos of the hardware would end any guesswork.

Archived