Gibson Brands Forums

Review of the new double cut model

surfpup

Came across this review of the new double cut model. Of particular interest I think: the upper fret access

and the attempt by Gibson to solve the head stock weakness normally associated with the brand.

I know this shouldn't matter but....it looks so wrong!

I thought that too. I think Gibson did some cool newer designs in the past like the Nighthawk (awesome guitar), but generally anything too radical doesn't look in keeping with Gibson's history. I'm sure it probably plays well though and at least it's not as weird looking as the 'Eye' model :blink:

I know this shouldn't matter but....it looks so wrong!

I thought that too. I think Gibson did some cool newer designs in the past like the Nighthawk (awesome guitar)

Funny. I like it a lot, but I always thought the Nighthawk butt ugly. Guess that's why we have options. [biggrin]

Funny. I like it a lot, but I always thought the Nighthawk butt ugly. Guess that's why we have options. [biggrin]

That's interesting you didn't care for the Nighthawk. I saw it as a cross between old and new, but then thinking about it, even though I said I think some of their newer designs are a bit too radical, I always dug the look of the 80's US-1 with the figured top...but that's really a vintage relic now! Anyway, yes it's good we have options like you say [thumbup]

Nice. I'm not big on two-knobbed Gibsons, since I never play with both the pickups at the same volume.

I'm with BadBlues on this one, I never understood having two separate pickups and not being able to control them individually, especially on a really nice Custom Shop expensive guitar. I have a guitar with two pickups that only has one volume and one tone control, but it has a 5 position switch so you can blend the individual coils and pickups to get different tones and it works. But I still prefer individual volume and tone controls.

Without wishing to go too Off-Topic...

...at least it's not as weird looking as the 'Eye' model :blink:...

The Eye...

msp_laugh.gif

I think I was in the minority (read "on my own") of those who actually quite liked the Eye when it was announced - and even I had grave reservations about some rather unfortunate 'detailing' thereon...

P'guard shape; p'up colour (red p'up covers?!? Whoever heard of red p'up covers on a 'high-end' Gibson?!?) and headstock apart I thought it to be a rather elegant instrument. If it were to have been offered in a classier choice of finish (although I will admit vermilion is fine for a tomato) and mods to those details already mentioned it would absolutely, certainly, without any doubt whatsoever have become Gibson's highest-selling guitar of all time consigning - and sentencing - the SG and Les Paul designs to share a single-line of text in 'Appendix A'.

OK. Back to the Double-Cut...

Pip.

The Eye...

msp_laugh.gif

I think I was in the minority (read "on my own") of those who actually quite liked the Eye when it was announced - and even I had grave reservations about some rather unfortunate 'detailing' thereon...

P'guard shape; p'up colour (red p'up covers?!? Whoever heard of red p'up covers on a 'high-end' Gibson?!?) and headstock apart I thought it to be a rather elegant instrument. If it were to have been offered in a classier choice of finish (although I will admit vermilion is fine for a tomato) and mods to those details already mentioned it would absolutely, certainly, without any doubt whatsoever have become Gibson's highest-selling guitar of all time consigning - and sentencing - the SG and Les Paul designs to share a single-line of text in 'Appendix A'.

OK. Back to the Double-Cut...

Pip.

I think the new DC looks ok....but not great.

Had to google for the "Eye" guitar - part of the 2009 'Limited Run' series.....which included this -

[scared]

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Explorer/Gibson-USA/Holy-Explorer.aspx

The Holy (geddit?) Explorer.

Facepalm emoji please.

...part of the 2009 'Limited Run' series.....which included this -

[scared]

http://www.gibson.co...y-Explorer.aspx

The Holy Ex. came in for an awful lot of stick when it was current...

I, OTOH, being a child who grew up with Val. Singleton, Peter Purves and John Noakes realised that all that was needed to rectify matters with the Explorer was some sticky-back plastic, a small-ish sheet of Formica (or, failing that a couple of empty Corn Flakes boxes) and some white emulsion paint.

A Blue Peter badge would, no doubt, have been popped in the post presently.

Pip.

i liked it ok when i 1st saw it, but seeing someone wearing it, i like it better. but not for that price. if they made a studio version i might consider one.

the guy is a good player, even if i don't like to use as much reverb as he does. i like that it has the 57 classics. i don't know why they push the 496/498 the way they do, imo the 57 is a far better pickup

1st off,,that guys playing is pretty damm cool,IMO. I like the drop down D open tuning hes using. The Gtr is really nice also,,Id like to see a FR trem on it ,,but hey you cant have everything right? I did see somewhere a Black Knight SG I guess thats what its called,,with a Floyd on it. Neat post,,I may have to go to GC and check one out.

I'm afraid I'm a nay sayer: unpleasing shape and two knobs.

I'll take a Flying V, instead.

I don't mind it so much.. Id be interested just to try one out... But its the price.. I just looked it up how much it will cost over here £3,299.00 https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/MDCSPSL11099/solid-body-electric-guitars/gibson-custom-shop-modern-double-cut-standard-in-bullion-gold

BUT when you look at what you can get right now.. Say this LP Classic for £1,219.00, I know where id put my money..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gibson-USA-2017-Paul-Classic/dp/B01LRWJTV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497577971&sr=8-1&keywords=gibson%2Bles%2Bpaul%2Bclassic%2B2017&th=1

819Z8XEP2xL__SL1500__zpstnah0ofx.jpg

Yeaaaaahhhh, I'll pass on that thing.

Funny, though... had the upper horn been the same size/cut as the lower, I'd actually have liked it more! Did a little Photoshopping to see if I was right. I like it better, at least:

MDCSPSL11099_MAIN_HERO_01_zpsf97zxld0.jpg

Funny, though... had the upper horn been the same size/cut as the lower, I'd actually have liked it more! Did a little Photoshopping to see if I was right. I like it better, at least:

I had the same thought. The way you edited it looks way better IMO. Not too dissimilar to a Wilshire body shape

I had the same thought. The way you edited it looks way better IMO. Not too dissimilar to a Wilshire body shape

Yeah... a cross between a Wilshire and a Duo Jet.

[thumbup]

Now this I can get excited about… aside from the price tag! :unsure:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Les-Paul-Special.aspx#LPSPSCPSL11204

The Eye...

msp_laugh.gif

Pip.

Haha! What a great post. I especially like the last line "without any doubt whatsoever have become Gibson's highest-selling guitar of all time consigning - and sentencing - the SG and Les Paul designs to share a single-line of text in 'Appendix A'."

I think you may have been onto something here pippy! Actually though, had it have been in vermilion it may have looked slightly better (I mean only very, very, very slightly).

Yeah... a cross between a Wilshire and a Duo Jet.

[thumbup]

Now this I can get excited about… aside from the price tag! :unsure:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Les-Paul-Special.aspx#LPSPSCPSL11204

I love Les Paul Specials, but in those colours = hideous. Looks like they are sponsored by Barbie or something - all they are missing is a pale pink one. The Cardinal Red one is kind of ok, but still. I realise these colours have been around since the 1960's, but who thought it would ever be a good idea to apply them to guitars? Should have fired that person.

I'm with the long upper horn. No neck-heaviness, please. [-o<

The lack of additional tone and volume for each pickup is the deal killer for me. I'm not a fan of the shape but if it played and sounded like a Gibson, I could deal with the shape. The lack of separate volume and tone is the deal killer for me. I like to have a little more tone and volume control than that. Had it been a single pickup, that would have made more sense. In my opinion, it's far too expensive for that guitar.

Archived