Gibson Brands Forums

Something looks funny...

J-200 Koa

Both of those guitars have the same serial number on the labels. I'd stay away.

I suppose this kind of fraud is to be expected given the world we live in today. Those in the know can easily spot a fake, but the uninitiated just as easily fall prey to such thievery. I'd like to see Gibson get very aggressive with this kind of thing, and I mean very aggressive.........as proactive as the law allows and put these charlatans on notice.

I suppose this kind of fraud is to be expected given the world we live in today. Those in the know can easily spot a fake, but the uninitiated just as easily fall prey to such thievery. I'd like to see Gibson get very aggressive with this kind of thing, and I mean very aggressive.........as proactive as the law allows and put these charlatans on notice.

Yeah

Spoken like a true Texan !

You're right though. Some poor bastard will hand over money

Seems to be that this could be the originals of which they have made these fraudulent guitars:

http://www.caterina-music.com/

They can order a guitar with custom logo on the head stock, and this might be the reason it says gibson, slaps a fake sticker inside and vola, a fake gibson for the untrained eye.

http://www.caterina-music.com/j200bl-jumbo-acoustic-guitar-p00520p1.html

This is true but it isn't a fake Gibson unless it is made to make us believe so. You can buy a strat or les paul type of guitar from many known guitar brands but it isn't fraud until someone tries to deceive you.

The ones you linked to first, are truly attempts to fraud someone, even if the sellers have been deceived themselves by another seller. Even so, those guitars are counterfeit, and the sellers are therefore involved in selling counterfeit goods.

This is true but it isn't a fake Gibson unless it is made to make us believe so. You can buy a strat or les paul type of guitar from many known guitar brands but it isn't fraud until someone tries to deceive you.

There's a fine line here.

in my flea bitten opinion, if the head-stock reads GIBSON and it wasn't made at one of the Gibson factories in Nashville, or Boseman, then it's counterfeit.

While I agree that If you BUY it from someone / somewhere knowing it's true origin, that is YOUR decision. Either way, it's not a Gibson and never will be.

OF course there's the other hand, If you get gaf'd for $3k buying one from someone/somewhere with out disclosure? what then?

There's a fine line here.

in my flea bitten opinion, if the head-stock reads GIBSON and it wasn't made at one of the Gibson factories in Nashville, or Boseman, then it's counterfeit.

While I agree that If you BUY it from someone / somewhere knowing it's true origin, that is YOUR decision. Either way, it's not a Gibson and never will be.

OF course there's the other hand, If you get gaf'd for $3k buying one from someone/somewhere with out disclosure? what then?

I totally agree, when the headstock and/or labels says something about being something it is not, then it is a fraud. I get furious to think some unfortunate soul might fork up $3000-4000 for a piece of junk. I can only pray that someone buying a guitar that expensive knows enough to see it is a fraud.

I totally agree, when the headstock and/or labels says something about being something it is not, then it is a fraud. I get furious to think some unfortunate soul might fork up $3000-4000 for a piece of junk. I can only pray that someone buying a guitar that expensive knows enough to see it is a fraud.

I know, but it happens. A lot of people don't know how to spot or sometimes, even be the least bit suspicious.

We can see from the auction pages, they are clearly trying to get a lot of money for these and there's no doubt in my head that these are counterfeits. A simple glance at the pics offered told me all I need to know in about 10 seconds.

These actually should be reported to eBay. Hopefully no one is naive enough to bid/buy.

It would seem the Chinese produce as much counterfeit knock-off crapola as they do legitimate stuff.

If you go on Amazon and look at the most expensive brands of virtually any item - you'll see in the Question & Answer section lots of people asking "Is this real, or a fake?"

You would think that if China wanted to, they could put a hurt on companies that do this. I wouldn't be surprised if the same company producing fake Gibson's isn't also producing fake Rolexes.

Archived