Gibson Brands Forums

AJ Short Scale

J-200 Koa

That's hilarious. A round shoulder, short scale Gibson in mahogany (as stated on the label)… now where have I seen that before?

If it does indeed have the advanced bracing, it would still be a very interesting compare with a J-45.

That's hilarious. A round shoulder, short scale Gibson in mahogany (as stated on the label)… now where have I seen that before?

If it does indeed have the advanced bracing, it would still be a very interesting compare with a J-45.

I like the inlays, the fretboard binding, and the pickguard.....

(But I have a bling'd-out J-45, so I'm a little strange to start with)

Here's the specs on my Kristofferson SJ. Looks like I may already have a short scale AJ

Kristofferson features a variation of Gibson’s “X” bracing pattern situated behind the soundhole, with a set of tall and thin braces for the back, and scalloped tall and thin braces for the top. This legendary bracing design — exactly as it appeared in the first Southern Jumbo in 1942 — delivers a balanced expression, with punchy, deep lows, warm mids, and clear, crisp highs.

Body Style Round Shoulder

Top Species Sitka Spruce

Back and Sides Mahogany

Binding Multi-ply Top and Back

Bracing Advanced X-Bracing

Rosette Double Ring

A weird custom shop request perhaps.

I think these were all made for a boutique internet outfit called something like Private Reserve - bought several years ago by MF.

I emailed about buying one new - was quoted 1800 at the time.

A weird custom shop request perhaps.

The eBay listing does provide some good info:

"Limited edition 2006 Gibson jumbo with a shorter scale (24-3/4") and Mahogany back and sides. There were only 20 short scale AJ's made. 5 Maple, 5 Rosewood, 5 Mahogany and 5 in Koa. These were designed by head luthier Ren Ferguson. . . "

Since the two major defining specs for an AJ, are not present on this guitar, it would be no easy task to hear whether it was the scale length, or the change to mahogany, that was most influencing it’s sound. However, the person at the final inspection QC station might have a pretty good sense; giving the hog, maple, rosewood, and koa versions of this guitar a spin before being boxed up (the guitars). Or- do they all just blend together after a while, and the more important question being: “when’s lunch?"

To my mind the two primary characteristics that make an AJ an AJ are rosewood B&S, and scale length. Take those two away, and you've got something different.

It might be a very nice guitar, and it's good-looking for sure. I wouldn't pay a premium over a J-45 for it, however.

I think that this guitar is very much what I was looking for. I agree that it specs out very similar to a J-35 but I am not sure about the bracing and wood differences.

Archived