Gibson Brands Forums

My Old Man - Jerry Jeff Walker cover

flatbaroque

Awesome job.

Jerry Jeff Walker is one of my very all time favorite writers. And singer. And all around everything.

Me and my Dad were riding around Texas drinking (yea, we did that back then) in 1974 and literally "found" Luckenbach. I was 16, but looked to be of legal drinking age and had already been gigging bars in Arizona.

The bar maid took me outside with the album cover and held it up by the wall, which was just months after Viva Terlingua (the wall is the album cover) had been recorded there live (1 side).

Thanks for the memories....

Cheers Murph. Cool story.I had heard the name Luckenback and knew vaguely it had something to do with country / southern music.

Just did some reading about that Viva Terlingua album.Will give it a listen!

This song was off an old vinyl I have..got Bojangles on it too.Can't play my vinyls so haven't heard it for many years.Came up on Pandora and made me happy.

The album also has "The Ballad of the Hulk" which I considered Jerry Jeff's equivalent of Dylan's "It's all right ma".

He's was /is? a great writer / performer.

Wow, that was beautiful. There are some really great songs being posted here right now.

I have never listened to Jerry Jeff Walker before, but I have heard his name mentioned together with Townes van Zandt several times which is indeed promising.

Lars

Cheers Murph. Cool story.I had heard the name Luckenback and knew vaguely it had something to do with country / southern music.

Just did some reading about that Viva Terlingua album.

Luckenbach was a General Store, Post Office, and Tavern in 1974. My Dad became friends with Hondo (Crouch, the owner of the town, yea he "bought" it) who I also met that day, and Jerry Jeff was also a good friend of Hondo. I left home and went back to Arizona (Phoenix/Mesa) at 16 and my bar gigging career began in earnest. The next 37 years are kind of a blur.....

It was just that, a "watering hole" in Texas until Willie and Waylon ruined it with their song, which Waylon later admitted was stupid and he hated......

Sal thanks brother!

Kelly you are always supportive of all us palookas..it's appreciated.

Lars yes check him out.Sometimes the albums are more produced than you would like (and me)...but plenty of top songs...Bojangles was a somewhat popular tune of his [smile]

BBG you are too kind.When I was doing this I was imagining our Mr Walker here...Keith.His version wouldn't be too shabby.

Murph you are in focus now!But your blurry days recollections are always good value for us here.

Archived