Gibson Brands Forums

EVH with...

AndyK

Now how did Eddie ever perform his signature dive bombs with a stop bar and a regular bridge???

Ooooh the humanity! LOL!

OTOH, as a conversation point... not that I'm an expert, but I don't think I have ever seen a pic with EVH performing with a les paul.

Btw.. loved the black box clip with Lester. such a great entertainer. they don't make em like that anymore.

OTOH, as a conversation point... not that I'm an expert, but I don't think I have ever seen a pic with EVH performing with a les paul.

That is surprising. There are lots of pics out there. He used the LP a lot in the early days. He was, after all, an admitted Clapton freak. His earlier band Mammoth would perform whole cream albums note for note (reportedly).

Anyway... some pics...

big_guitarist_edward_van_halen_1959_gibson_les_paul_standard_guitar_1980_live.jpg

3799329657_e979089afe.jpg

3bc0ec45dd9f2c5ef4c59c626db27cc4.jpg

12301302_1033045750082373_185348403_n.jpg

f5bcdeee1a43e108ce02eb28ae0ceb10.jpg

It doesn't matter what that guy uses. He is in complete command of the instrument, comfortable being himself with a guitar. What he does as a band member, did anyway, is what guitar players should strive for. Not the tapping and wang bar and horse whinnies and elephant trumpeting. The ease, the sense of humor, expecting the others to do their part as you do yours, harmonize and don't miss your parts, make it look easy and like you are having a ball. He is truly a pleasure to watch play, and the time I was lucky enough to spend a couple hours around him he was just the nicest guy. I try as hard as I can to be as he is, not playing wise because I'm just not that way, but being as he is. We agreed on two main things, never tire of practice and never tire of playing the same songs. They are why anybody at all is sitting front of you and they are why you get to do what you get to do.

rct,

It doesn't matter what that guy uses. He is in complete command of the instrument, comfortable being himself with a guitar. What he does as a band member, did anyway, is what guitar players should strive for. Not the tapping and wang bar and horse whinnies and elephant trumpeting. The ease, the sense of humor, expecting the others to do their part as you do yours, harmonize and don't miss your parts, make it look easy and like you are having a ball. He is truly a pleasure to watch play, and the time I was lucky enough to spend a couple hours around him he was just the nicest guy. I try as hard as I can to be as he is, not playing wise because I'm just not that way, but being as he is. We agreed on two main things, never tire of practice and never tire of playing the same songs. They are why anybody at all is sitting front of you and they are why you get to do what you get to do.

rct,

not sure if you are responding to my tongue in cheek comment, but, yea,, I was kidding, EVH is one of my hero's. When that first album came out, it was a total game changer. I considered quitting, (ok not for long, like maybe 10 seconds, but I did...)

rct,

good post, even though i'm not a giant evh fan, what you say is true. i don't know about the nice guy part, i never met him. but the man is undeniably a consummate professional, who took all aspects of his craft very seriously from the beginning.

It doesn't matter what that guy uses. He is in complete command of the instrument...

+1.

eusa_clap.gif

He's not my #1 'go-to' guitarist by any stretch of the imagination but he is absolutely 100% supreme in his self-invented field and effectively re-wrote some of the rules of 'How To Play Electric Guitar'. Arguably no-one since Hendrix had stretched the guitar's limits to the extent he did at the time.

Complete, unalloyed Respect!

Pip.

It's funny, everyone focuses on the pyrotechnics... tapping... whammy. Like it was sports or something. I guess that's just how guitar players are.

But hey, listen to the man's rhythm playing. He's so solid and in the pocket. And the songs on those first few albums were just killer pop songs through a blasting Marshall with cool riffs and tasty little fills. Fun stuff. [thumbup]

Archived