Gibson Brands Forums

New Queens of the Stone Age

Rabs

While QOTSA are good, I think drummer John Theodore is a bit wasted in that band. He was incredible in the Mars Volta and it's a shame he doesn't play that style anymore. I guess he gets paid a lot more for QOTSA, but Mars Volta were brilliant at their height around 2003-2008.

Here's some of his best drumming and my favourite Mars Volta composition. Probably a bit too much for most people on here, but I'm a huge jazz fan as well as rock so for me they were one of the best 'known' bands of the last 15 years.

They never did anything for me, plus I am really picky about what I listen to, as you all know. Most new music makes me sad. I was just in the Sub Pop store in the SeaTac Airport and the music they were playing make me want to leave the store. Some junk that sounded like early 90's Shoe Gazing music. I listened to 3 songs, all the same tempo, but the last song changed it up a bit and they added a sax. There is good stuff out there, but I am still enthralled with classic era Thin Lizzy right now.

Sub Pop has put out some great stuff in recent years IMO and they have some freakin killer bands/artists in their current lineup. I gotta agree though some of the stuff they put out just doesn't seem worthy. My top 3 choices out of their current lineup: Beach House, J Mascis, and Mogwai. Seems like everyone has been obsessed with Father John Misty, he hasn't really hit me yet

Archived