Gibson Brands Forums

Baby steps...

Lars68

I'm not attempting any new songs at the moment, instead I'm focus on learning to do the ones I have better. This is far from perfect, but I actually like where this one is going.

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/29th-of-september-new

The repetetive strumming and monotone voice kind of suit this song, so I did not try to change that. It is not to the most upbeat of subject matters, so please keep all knives away from exposed wrists [biggrin]

Lars

It is coming along! As many of us have stated before, your pitch has improved dramatically. Your first attempts were littered with sour notes, now being off pitch is more the exception rather than the rule. I do think the key the song is written in is too low for your voice. I've gone through the process of learning a song but then found out I couldn't sing in the same key as the artist. Now I begin learning a song by learning the first verse and the chorus. Then once I have the melody memorized I play with different keys until I find the key that works for me the best, then I write out the song in that key. I do think it is time for another lesson. I feel that learning the significance of how chords are built will help you improve in some key areas. I'll pm you. I wish I had the tech knowledge to make some clips so that I could model what it is I am trying to convey.

Thanks Turtle, and I do appreciate some more tips!

Yes, I'm very happy with my progress, six months ago I didn't think I would ever reach the point I'm currently at. If all I wanted to do was to record songs, I could get away with my current level. I could piece together a decent song from a couple of different takes. Also, I hear my mistakes when they happen, so I'm just not consistent yet to get through three to four minutes without messing up a few times, but that is ok for now.

I hope I haven't caused anyone to fall into a depression from listening. If you are borderline, stay away! [biggrin]

Lars

Lars, that is a massive step change forward!

First song that I have heard from you that is fully in tune. This is a great achievement and makes all the hard work pay off.

Give yourself a big pat on the back.

Except I wish the topic wasn't so grim, right on my birthday!

Lars, that is a massive step change forward!

First song that I have heard from you that is fully in tune. This is a great achievement and makes all the hard work pay off.

Give yourself a big pat on the back.

Except I wish the topic wasn't so grim, right on my birthday!

You and me have the same birthday Aussie

Thanks for listening and the support friends, and happy bithday EA!

The song is indeed a little weird, but that is how I like it. It's memories and images from the time when my mother passed away in cancer. I wanted the song to be sort of eerie and dark, giving an uneasy feeling, because that is how I remember this time. Don't know how successful that was, though, but that is what I was aiming for...

Lars

Nice, Lars.

Thanks Murph!

I'm enjoying this so much. What a great hobby this is !! I don't have a lot of tools in my tool box yet, but I love experimenting with what I've got. For the latest attempt above I played with the flesh of my thumb, instead of a pick as in the first version. It made the vocals stand out much more, and gave the song much greater intimacy. Changing the key, as Turtle suggested, also really helped my singing. I'm hoping to really learn more skills and tricks in the coming years to be able to find the moods and emotions I'm looking for more easily.

Lars

Archived