Gibson Brands Forums

Questions

theflyingturtle

I posted yesterday that I am just getting into Reverb and a whole new world of guitars seems to have opened up for me. Then I saw this LG-2 on Reverb where the seller claims that it is the first "banner year" LG-2 ever made! If the seller's claim is true I think that is one super cool guitar but this isn't about this guitar exactly. Here's what I would like to know:

1. In the vintage guitar market, does the fact that this guitar seems somewhat notable matter enough to justify the premium.

2. Is this guitar legit and how would I go about verifying the seller's claim?

Basically, if you were interested in this guitar, what strategies would you use to do your homework about this guitar or how would you proceed? I am guessing a call to the seller, a call to Gibson, and then post it to the forum to get confirmation from you fine folks? I bought nearly every guitar I own on CL so buying a used guitar is something I am familiar with but the vintage realm is not something I am familiar with. Here's the link: https://reverb.com/item/5666161-vintage-1942-gibson-banner-lg-2-acoustic-guitar-first-ever-lg-2-first-banner-adirondack-top

The responsibility of proving that it is the 1st LG-2 should fall on the seller; maybe an appraisal by G. Gruhn- something that might be able to be done with the supplied photos. More to it than just saying that the f.o.n. shown “makes it the first”. Record keeping not exactly a strong suit for Gibson in those days, especially during the war.

In any event, if it was the first one made, this would matter more to a collector. Imhop, the LG-2 is a more versatile guitar than the L-00: what sort of playing were you looking to do with the Little Gibson? If going into the old Gibson guitar money category, I would play as many as possible, get an idea of their nature, and seek one that fits in with what you’re looking for, rather than one from a certain era. When I was looking for an old LG-2, I went to the Philly Guitar show, expecting to come home with a Banner. There, I was able to pick a fave or two among the half a dozen or so LG-2's ranging from the 1940’s to late ’50’s. As things were winding down on that Saturday afternoon, it was quiet enough to get a good listen. Came home with one that was not a Banner, but oh, that sound

Enjoy the search.

The only way to prove it was the first would be by reference to the Gibson production ledgers, only some of which are publicly avaiable. The LG was a new body style, replacing the earlier body style represented most commonly by the L-OO immediately prior to the introduction of the LG body. By most sources I've seen, 1942 would have been the first year.

Whether it's first or not, value is going to be determined by condition, playability, and tone, not where it fits in the production series.

Demonstrating provenance is the obligation of the seller, not the buyer.

The only person I know who would even have a remote chance with some of these details is JT. Perhaps he will drop in.

From the description:

"Factory Order Number 7109H makes this guitar the first LG-2 ever made. From the first confirmed batch of Banner Headstock Gibson guitars ever made. "

Call George Gruhn's Gruhn's Guitars in Nashville, Tn. They will give you the true scoop on what to look for, price range, collectibility, etc. They are the ones who to a large degree are the Warren Buffets of the vintage guitar marketplace and they are quite helpful with their free info on these things.

Hope this helps.

QM aka "Jazzman" Jeff

Archived