Gibson Brands Forums

Maple slopes

Jinder

I've been haunted for years by the memory of a couple of great Maple slopes I played ten years or so ago.

Firstly a limited edition Maple J45...amazing guitar with huge bass and articulate chiming top end.

Secondly, a Maple AJ which was just KILLER. As I said in a previous thread, this guitar could give you a haircut and kick your feet out from under you at the same time. Hugely loud, lemony trebles and a dark chocolate bottom end. Articulate as hell, lyrical all the way when flatpicked or played with fingers. Thick, biting lead tone too.

Is anyone else here a fan of Maple slopes? I need to add one to my arsenal soon methinks!

I've been haunted for years by the memory of a couple of great Maple slopes I played ten years or so ago.

Firstly a limited edition Maple J45...amazing guitar with huge bass and articulate chiming top end.

Secondly, a Maple AJ which was just KILLER. As I said in a previous thread, this guitar could give you a haircut and kick your feet out from under you at the same time. Hugely loud, lemony trebles and a dark chocolate bottom end. Articulate as hell, lyrical all the way when flatpicked or played with fingers. Thick, biting lead tone too.

Is anyone else here a fan of Maple slopes? I need to add one to my arsenal soon methinks!

I've got one for sale listed at the UMGF. It's one I built.

Hey Jinder.

Big fan here! I have a quilted maple under red spruce Southern Jumbo from 2007. Love it!

9bd7e87c-4fee-467b-86e8-a666ca2c3ee3_zpsyp52ygjf.jpg

IMGP1982.jpg

It was built by Val Bolitho when she was at the Custom Shop.

It's one of the more stable recent Bozeman guitars I have. Sounds great, looks great.

Fred

I'm in the process of "thinning the herd" and I'm tossed between keeping two of these three: a Rosewood J-45, a Guild D-55 or a Maple J-45. When playing them I like the sound of the Guild and the Rosewood J-45. But, my brother and a friend were visiting the other day, so I had them play each guitar while I stood in front of them. The Maple J-45 is definitely staying with me. Now, I have to choose between the Guild and the other J-45. Both of them think I should keep the two Gibsons and lose the Guild.

I'm in the process of "thinning the herd" and I'm tossed between keeping two of these three: a Rosewood J-45, a Guild D-55 or a Maple J-45. When playing them I like the sound of the Guild and the Rosewood J-45. But, my brother and a friend were visiting the other day, so I had them play each guitar while I stood in front of them. The Maple J-45 is definitely staying with me. Now, I have to choose between the Guild and the other J-45. Both of them think I should keep the two Gibsons and lose the Guild.

You're more concerned about how it sounds to others than how it sounds to you

Is that a good or bad thing??

You're more concerned about how it sounds to others than how it sounds to you

Is that a good or bad thing??

I think you misunderstood me or I didn't make my point clear enough. I'm saying that I like the sound of the Maple better than the other two when I'm standing in front of it. It's like two different animals depending on whether you're behind it or in front of it.

Hey Jinder.

Big fan here! I have a quilted maple under red spruce Southern Jumbo from 2007. Love it!

9bd7e87c-4fee-467b-86e8-a666ca2c3ee3_zpsyp52ygjf.jpg

IMGP1982.jpg

It was built by Val Bolitho when she was at the Custom Shop.

It's one of the more stable recent Bozeman guitars I have. Sounds great, looks great.

Fred

Beautiful guitar, Fred- made by Valerie B, who's organized this years Gibson Homecoming in the pinned thread at the top of the Acoustic page. . . Very good, and there can't be too many maple Southern Jumbos around? Also- could you be saying you're thinking it's the maple that is making for a more stable guitar?

. . .Secondly, a Maple AJ . . . Hugely loud, lemony trebles and a dark chocolate bottom end. . .

Lemony trebles? Well, I've just got to have a serving of that. EA (EuroAussie) must be somewhere beside himself with all that talk of a guitar with a chocolatey bottom end)

Some favorite maple flavor -

1945 J-45 maple:

(bound neck, Nick Lucas-style inlay)

neUmV8f.png

And some tulips on the back of the Birdseye AJ you'd seen resting in the comfy Cedar Creek tweed case:

8M5YdcR.jpg?2

Jesus wept, some of the pics in this thread are just TOO MUCH!!

I'm GASing exceptionally hard for a maple slope now. All of the above are just gorgeous.

It's the Maple AJ that's in my heart of hearts. I'm nowhere near affording it though and there's another guitar priority in line before that...one day 😍

Beautiful guitar, Fred- made by Valerie B, who's organized this years Gibson Homecoming in the pinned thread at the top of the Acoustic page. . . Very good, and there can't be too many maple Southern Jumbos around? Also- could you be saying you're thinking it's the maple that is making for a more stable guitar?

Hi, 62:

As to the stability, I simply mean that this guitar has not required significant tweaks and adjustments to keep it nice and playable, yet. And that would, I think, have much more to do with the top's design and construction than that of the maple box it sits on.

Fred

Archived