Gibson Brands Forums

Henry J on making Gibson

drathbun

Here's an LA Time article on Henry's ambition to make Gibson the "Nike of the music world".

Here's a great photo of Henry holding a J200. I don't think I've ever seen him with an acoustic in his hands before. Perhaps that model has robot tuners or something.

Gibson Brands Transform Guitar Making

“Technology is a wonderful thing,” Juszkiewicz said. “But technology doesn’t always sit well [with consumers], mostly because there’s not enough marketing dollars to let everybody know what it’s all about.” - Henry Juszkiewicz

henryj.jpg

Ya. Might as well be making hondas or toyotas. Or wait. Acuras or lexus so all new guitars will be a dime a dozen quantity wize with a morgage to purchase. Im passing on gibson the cheaper materials with a high ticket price makes no sense

Well we're musicians, so we just want the guitars... We don't care about the business end of the donkey. At the end of the day, it is a business, and they are in it to make dough, keeping board members happy, It's what guys like Henry do for a living....

With all the recent changes and extensions of the product line, (some not so well received) they are trying to be something for everyone. We may not like the trend, but the doors close with out them "making their numbers" fiscally.

it is what it is..

Well we're musicians, so we just want the guitars...

it is what it is..

And I buy what I want to buy.

Do they throw in a worn-out pair of workboots when you buy a J-45? Maybe a pair of bespoke cowboy boots with a J-200?

The guitar market is shrinking. I read over at the UMGF that Martin, Nazareth, is not working full work weeks right now. Kids growing up today don't see musical heroes holding guitars. The music they listen to is programmed on computers. We, the guitar lovers, are a dying breed and Henry knows it. He is trying to plan for the long haul.

Lars

Surely they have to promote the notion , true or not , that Gibson isn't a bunch of traditionalists

They are right there at the forefront of guitar technology with the competition

We all know what's good and what's not but there's a demographic out there that is tossing a coin between a Gibson and a 'taylor' for example

The truth matters not in how you're perceived

It's all marketing, Harley Davidson was a dying brand and did this 20 years ago and look where they are now.

They sell more clothes (t-shirts and Jackets) than they do motorcycles. Even if you don't own a Harley you

most likely have a Harley t-shirt. Look at all the weekend bikers there are now.

You know what they say

Gibson's are for Bad Boys

Martin's are for good ol' boys

and Taylor's are for choirboys.

And every body want to be a Bad boy on the weekend. Even if they can't ride a bike or play a guitar.

So Gibson may as well cash in on the trend.

It's all marketing, Harley Davidson was a dying brand and did this 20 years ago and look where they are now.

They sell more clothes (t-shirts and Jackets) than they do motorcycles. Even if you don't own a Harley you

most likely have a Harley t-shirt. Look at all the weekend bikers there are now.

So Gibson may as well cash in on the trend.

As long as they keep making great guitars, I hope it works for them. I'm convinced that Bozeman acoustics are among the best they've ever built. The two I have are great guitars.

Maybe if they get into branded clothing, my denim jacket will come back into style:

jacket.jpg

I try to keep my attitude under control most of the time, though it's not always easy (or successful😄) when it comes to 'the business side' of instrument production. Realizing that - in the scheme of things - my concerns and preferences don't have a great deal of influence with the Great and Powerful helps. I'd never heard the line about good ol' boys/bad boys/choir boys before, but it's a definite keeper👍 So much to think about - so few brain cells willing to get with the program😳

Lars68, There is no doubt the guitar market is shrinking due to the industry itself. How much water can a sponge hold before it becomes saturated? The more profits, the hungrier you get. Instead of producing top of the line products as in the past, these "hero" companies are producing low priced and imported junk that sit on the shelves while Harmony, Kay and Stellas are on the want list. JMWO, Montana Gibsons built before 1999 and Martins built under the guidance of Fredrick before 1970 are the only ones I, myself will now only pursue, not discounting Gibsons 'til about 1963. Remember, this is only my worthless opinion, along with many others I'm quite sure of.

I strongly prefer the older stuff, as well. My cut off dates are a bit different, but the idea is pretty much the same. The folks for whom I have the most empathy are the ones who'd love a really nice Gibson, but lack the $ to make it happen. Not that the phenomenon is new, by any means, but perhaps a bit more pronounced than at times in the past. At least there are a few decent 'entry level' Gibsons being produced currently - by which I mean they sound and feel like a Gibson. Martins, not so much, especially if you're looking for a more traditional build and sound. Not saying that their less expensive offerings are bad instruments for what they are, but the logo commands more price for a lot less Martin. Market saturation has got to be on the horizon somewhere along the line unless something really unexpected comes along.

Thanks! What an amazing story. I don't get the rationale re Phillips but then I couldn't remotely comprehend navigating a $3bn business through the market turmoil and change over 30 years. Hope they do something wonderful with the Tower Records building - some sort of guitarists 'Mecca' maybe.

I guess all I care about is that Gibson makes enough coin to keep the folks in Bozemon doing what they do.

When I gig I sometime have to play Brown Eyed Girl so that I can sprinkle in the stuff I really want.

EVERYBODY NOW

LALALALA LA LA LA LA YOOOUU MY BROWN EYED GIRL

🙄

I guess all I care about is that Gibson makes enough coin to keep the folks in Bozemon doing what they do.

This.

I've heard people b!tch about Henry forever and I don't get it.

He turned the Company around and has kept it going a helluva long time.

And built many fine instruments. The ES-339 was brilliant.

A friend of mine is buying a new Martin and called me the other day to ask if they were American made. I told him no, it depends on the model, buy a Gibson, or do some homework.

Lars is right, it's a shrinking business, kids don't give a crap about guitars and don't know what music is. He11, they don't care about cars either.

It's a strange new World......

I was finally able to afford to buy a new vehicle for the first time in my life, in my 50s. A 2000 Chevy pickup. Was around $12K - a basic model. Now, that is the amount of discounts on their most expensive models. I'm once again at the point where I can't afford a new vehicle. Unless I want a golf cart with options. I would guess young boys are less interested in cars now - because they can't work on them anymore. To replace the headlight dimmer/rain sensor on my Ford would cost $1,000. Of course, they don't realize - I'm old school and can actually dim my own hi-beams and turn on my own wipers.

If Henry hadn't saved Gibson - it would have been bought by the Chinese and I would not have had the opportunity to own the three absolute fantastic guitars I do.

If Henry hadn't saved Gibson - it would have been bought by the Chinese and I would not have had the opportunity to own the three absolute fantastic guitars I do.

I probably don't agree with Henry on a lot of things, but I'm grateful he saved Gibson, and even more grateful that he brought Ren aboard to re-tool and re-vitalize Gibson Acoustics.

Said it before, and I'll say it again: Bozeman acoustics are among the best guitars Gibson has ever built.

Archived