Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson custom 1990 with original tremulo?

Jbaschirotto

Hello guys. I'm from Brazil, and after many years I was able to realize a dream: I bought a Gibson custom. This guitar is from 1990, does not have the original Hardcase, but I know how to handle an authentic Custom. In the meantime, I am curious about the trembling that has settled in her. I know it's a Kahler model 2200, it has the Gibson brand on it. The seller informed me that it was installed, it would not original. But he already bought it that way. I went to maintain it .. to lubricate the bridge .. and I noticed that the cavity of it seems to be original. Despite the locking nut, have been installed later (original part of the trembling).

My question is: were Custom made originally with this system?

Here are some pictures of the guitar.

eT6i9E.jpg

gmBQxF.jpg

p5Qx5X.jpg

l0q8iy.jpg

GSILFA.jpg

My question is: were Custom made originally with this system?

I don't know when Gibson ceased using Kahler vibrolas as stock equipment, but during the 1980's I encountered several brand-new Les Paul Custom guitars featuring vibrato bridge and locking nut from the factory.

They were for sale at a dealer in Munich located under one roof with ISO (International Sound Organisation), the then Gibson distributor for West Germany. After the change in Gibson distribution, probably 1986 or later, the very special contact of this retailer to Gibson ended, and so did the exceptional availability of rare and special Gibson models.

Yes..

Well, that's not a bad thing at all. Frets over binding means easier playability, and if refretting was necessary and has been done well, it should be fine.

I also think I'd prefer the medium-jumbo fret wire over the "fretless wonder" style one. I have three SGs with the latter, they call for really pressing my fingertips onto the wood, and because they don't have the flesh for a single fret dressing, they call for refretting much earlier. I mention that because from the pictures your guitar looks to me as if it has medium-jumbo fret wires, and I think that she had come stock with "fretless wonder" style frets.

Te refret is good. Medio jumbo frets...I'm sorry for the fret end. I think this finish is a custom differential. But .. the guitar is a dream... perfect.

I want to find out now about the pickups ... just the patent number below

I know they are PAF .. more 490r and 498t? 57 '???

UMvZQJ.jpg

Te refret is good. Medio jumbo frets...I'm sorry for the fret end. I think this finish is a custom differential. But .. the guitar is a dream... perfect.

I want to find out now about the pickups ... just the patent number below

I know they are PAF .. more 490r and 498t? 57 '???

UMvZQJ.jpg

Looks like a T-top post-PAF pickup. Generally these are held in high regard and basically irreplaceable since they are not made anymore since decades.

• 6 months later...

Archived