Gibson Brands Forums

Better review of the new Modern DC

Rabs

Nice guitar. Thanks for sharing here, Rabs. [thumbup]

The Heritage Cherry Sunburst looks most beautiful to me. [love]

Some switching options would be nice though. Two pots means two chances to add push/pull functions! [biggrin]

Nice guitar. Thanks for sharing here, Rabs. [thumbup]

The Heritage Cherry Sunburst looks most beautiful to me. [love]

Some switching options would be nice though. Two pots means two chances to add push/pull functions! [biggrin]

Hey Cap, hows tings :) I like the trans ebony burst.. or whatever they are calling it... The Cherry Burst to me doesn't suit it.. Its like its trying too hard to be a LP :P

There was another thread about this guitar but with an altogether more causal review if you wanna check it.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/137842-review-of-the-new-double-cut-model/

Hey Cap, hows tings :) I like the trans ebony burst.. or whatever they are calling it... The Cherry Burst to me doesn't suit it.. Its like its trying too hard to be a LP :P

There was another thread about this guitar but with an altogether more causal review if you wanna check it.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/137842-review-of-the-new-double-cut-model/

Thank you, Rabs, for reminding me of that. Just had to comment the horn thing over there... B)

I don't get why they went with nickel plating. It will tarnish fast, and I think I would replace all that stuff with chrome-plated parts. I think I'd also go with four-conductor wired pickups and add some switching options. Anyway, no money, no demand, no lust for trading some other guitars, no GAS, so - it's only playing mind games from my side! [biggrin]

Why am I thinking PRS PRS?

Me thinks because the Modern DC's silhouette (not the Music Man guitar model named Silhouette, of course) roughly remind of Paul Reed Smith's infamous "Fender meets Gibson" knock-off attempts.

If I were to be considering a new guitar the fact that it only has one vol / one tone would be an absolute deal-breaker. Unquestionably.

On my LPs I use my vol & tone knobs a lot and that includes much blending in the mid position.

Regardless of how beautifully it might be made for a guitar which, in the UK, works out at $4166 it's nowhere near being an attractive enough proposition from any viewpoint. In fact I don't actually see the prospective market for this guitar; Gibson themselves have dozens of much more appealing offerings for a fraction - quite literally - of the asking price.

IMO, of course.

Pip.

EDIT : Nothing to do with the guitar but I found the music playing non-stop in the background when the guy was talking to be VERY irritating. So much so that I couldn't put up with the continual racket and closed the window before the clip was half-way through. Bad Form, CME.Totally unnecessary.

the fact that it only has one vol / one tone would be an absolute deal-breaker

Agree, loosing the ability to control the volume of each pickup in the middle position is a big deal for me too.

I liked the original DC design much better, but same issue with the electronics would steer me away.

Meh...

I didn't like the Freidman but the Tone King (or whatever it was) kind of twinkly. The guitar's o.k. For that much money there needs to be 4 knobs. They're only like 3 bucks apiece.

The part with the "Tone King" sounded so noisy though, I was wondering if those amps are actually that noisy

Meh...

I didn't like the Freidman but the Tone King (or whatever it was) kind of twinkly. The guitar's o.k. For that much money there needs to be 4 knobs. They're only like 3 bucks apiece.

My perfect guitar would have 1 (neck) pickup and no controls whatsoever.

My perfect guitar would have 1 (neck) pickup and no controls whatsoever.

Why no controls?.................eusa_think.gif..............

Do you only ever use one basic volume and tone level (fingers/plectra/attack/technique/skill/ability aside)? I'm being serious, BTW. Once you have set your amp do you find you never need to adjust anything?

I know Segovia (for instance) could manage just fine without a 4-knob set-up and I also know that there are controls on the amp but surely having controls on the guitar is far and away more handy than having to adjust them - if necessary - on the back-line?

Pip.

Why no controls?.................eusa_think.gif..............

Do you only ever use one basic volume and tone level (fingers/plectra/attack/technique/skill/ability aside)? I'm being serious, BTW. Once you have set your amp do you find you never need to adjust anything?

I know Segovia (for instance) could manage just fine without a 4-knob set-up and I also know that there are controls on the amp but surely having controls on the guitar is far and away more handy than having to adjust them - if necessary - on the back-line?

Pip.

I never have to adjust the amp, because it's slaved (on clean) to the signal processor via the FX loop.

I only use the neck pup. So no switch is needed.

I prefer to control volume with a foot pedal. So no vol knob needed.

The EQ for each guitar is uniquely tweaked and saved as a setting in the signal processor. This is done with zero treble cut (because it always sounds better that way). So no tone knob needed.

Playing out, I frequently knock guitar controls accidentally, so the fewer there are, the less there is to go wrong.

All this applies to live playing. At home I might sometimes bring in the bridge pickup, because low volume makes everything sound darker.

...it's slaved (on clean) to the signal processor via the FX loop...The EQ for each guitar is uniquely tweaked and saved as a setting in the signal processor. This is done with zero treble cut (because it always sounds better that way). So no tone knob needed...

Thanks for the answers, m-e!

Obviously things have moved on somewhat in the two centuries which have passed since I was gigging regularly!

Even back then the only bit of kit I ever had 'twixt guitar and amp (coily apart) was the use of an EH Big Muff Pi on certain tracks. And even then, once set, I left the knobs well alone.

I simply prefer controlling my noises through the close proximity of my guitar knobs!

Pip.

Thanks for the answers, m-e!

Obviously things have moved on somewhat in the two centuries which have passed since I was gigging regularly!

Even back then the only bit of kit I ever had 'twixt guitar and amp (coily apart) was the use of an EH Big Muff Pi on certain tracks. And even then, once set, I left the knobs well alone.

I simply prefer controlling my noises through the close proximity of my guitar knobs!

Pip.

That's of no use to us clumsy people. I can manage ok at home, but on a cramped stage with 6 other people, lights in my eyes etc, I have learned to espouse KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!).

That's of no use to us clumsy people. I can manage ok at home, but on a cramped stage with 6 other people, lights in my eyes etc, I have learned to espouse KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!).

Please don't take this the wrong way but going through a signal processor and having things set for each instrument in a special way, a foot pedal for volume, EQ presets, and all that is simpler than guitar --> pedal --> amp and using the volume and tone controls on the guitar? But, whatever works, right? I played much like Pip did for years. Guitar, pedal(s), amp. We didn't have the FX loop (or at least I didn't) back in those days and the other stuff was far too expensive for me at the time.

Please don't take this the wrong way but going through a signal processor and having things set for each instrument in a special way, a foot pedal for volume, EQ presets, and all that is simpler than guitar --> pedal --> amp and using the volume and tone controls on the guitar? But, whatever works, right? I played much like Pip did for years. Guitar, pedal(s), amp. We didn't have the FX loop (or at least I didn't) back in those days and the other stuff was far too expensive for me at the time.

Well I'm 63, so I didnt just sprout up in the last couple of years.

I started gigging (intermittently) in the early 70's using all kinds of gear. By 1976 I was using a Fender Strat through one of 2 Selmer T&B amps (30wt combo or 50wt head+cab). So I had to operate pretty much like you & Pip did for a long time. I had bits of tape stuck around the amp knobs to act as makers for settings. For example, strobe lighting was being used then, so just seeing the controls could be tricky.

Compared to now? Yes its much easier the way I work now. Getting the settings right can take a couple of goes, because EQ sounds different at high volume, but once its saved I never have to touch it again. I dont just mean during the gig. I mean for as many years as I keep the same gear.

I have those settings on my laptops hard drive, so if I trash the unit, I can buy another and load them back in.

Just set up, sound check & go. The only thing I need to operate during the set is the volume pedal (or maybe a tone patch stomp button when I use the 650)

Archived