Gibson Brands Forums

2017 Classic HP Nut Info

Amiller

I recently purchased a 2017 Classic HP and have some questions about the nut. I want to know about adjustments and what the middle hole in the nut is for. I have seen in pictures that there is a screw in that hole...mine does not have a screw. I searched all over the net and can not find any complete information regarding the 2017 which is different from earlier models. Please point me I

n the direction of some comprehensive info...THANKS!

It's adjustable. 2=correct. 3=incorrect.

Always trust your ears.

That is all

Carry on.

This doesn't really answer my question. I'm not even sure of the meaning.

I also cannot find any information on how to secure the strings on the new 2017 models. The older models had a screw on nut that went over the tuning post. The 2017 models do not have the same setup.

Guest Farnsbarns

This doesn't really answer my question. I'm not even sure of the meaning.

I also cannot find any information on how to secure the strings on the new 2017 models. The older models had a screw on nut that went over the tuning post. The 2017 models do not have the same setup.

What I mean is 3 screws in a row would likely leave it rocking back and forth so they only put 2 screws in. 2 is correct.

I'm not sure about your second question. If they're not locking tuners (I think that's what you're describing on the "earlier" models) is there not a hole through the post?

Perhaps a picture would help with the description.

What I mean is 3 screws in a row would likely leave it rocking back and forth so they only put 2 screws in. 2 is correct.

I'm not sure about your second question. If they're not locking tuners (I think that's what you're describing on the "earlier" models) is there not a hole through the post?

Perhaps a picture would help with the description.

I was actually able to talk to a tech at Sweetwater. He said yes, there are suppose to be 3 screws. Two of the screws are for adjusting the height and the third screw is a set-screw to keep the nut from moving and to keep the nut from falling out when the strings are removed. The 2015 models did not have this arrangement.

No, there is not a hole through the post, however, there is a hole in the top of the post. I'm looking for a diagram on how the string is supposed to be wrapped with this new configuration.

Anyway, the real issue is that there is no official documentation for the 2017 HP models that I can find. If someone knows better, please point me in the right direction.

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually able to talk to a tech at Sweetwater. He said yes, there are suppose to be 3 screws. Two of the screws are for adjusting the height and the third screw is a set-screw to keep the nut from moving and to keep the nut from falling out when the strings are removed. The 2015 models did not have this arrangement.

No, there is not a hole through the post, however, there is a hole in the top of the post. I'm looking for a diagram on how the string is supposed to be wrapped with this new configuration.

Anyway, the real issue is that there is no official documentation for the 2017 HP models that I can find. If someone knows better, please point me in the right direction.

So you have a screw missing right?

If you bought the guitar new, you should have documentation in with the case candy. The simple answer on the nut is it can be raised or lowered to your tastes. You should have gotten the wrench for this in the case candy. Enjoy your new guitar.

If you bought the guitar new, you should have documentation in with the case candy. The simple answer on the nut is it can be raised or lowered to your tastes. You should have gotten the wrench for this in the case candy. Enjoy your new guitar.

Yes, I bought the guitar new. No, the documentation regarding the nut and how to properly attach the strings to a 2017 HP (different setup than the previous models) is NOT included in the case. I spoke to my rep at Sweetwater and was finally able to get a great document regarding the string attachment. He was also able to send me the third screw for the nut. After the nut is adjusted with the two side screws the center screw (originally missing) is tightened to 'lock' the nut in place. Without the center screw the nut would fall off if the strings are removed.

Anyway, I'm good to go now. Thanks for all of the 'great' help.

Archived