Gibson Guitar Board: "Tuning" songs - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Tuning" songs Working with live + mixed playing

#1 User is offline   TheSundog 

• Group: Members

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

Hello. I read some place that the new Deckadance upgrade has a “pitch” or tuning mechanism of some sort? Here's what I need:

I run a rather unique show. I have played Bass Guitar professionally for 45 years. I am an in demand bass player and a passable guitar player. Often, I strap on an instrument, step out front and I jam along with whatever tune I'm DJing. This has turned out to be remarkably popular.

My issue is tuning. IF I pre-plan carefully, I KNOW exactly what songs I will accompany. To “tune” the music to a standard pitch, I am currently massaging each selection with Sound Forge to get them all in tune with each other. This is a major pain and does not allow me to easily take requests as I may NOT be properly in tune with the request.

IS there something Deckadance 2.73 can do to help me with this? Ideally I could pull up a tune and it would somehow auto-tune before playing? In this way, requests become simple matters. A software switch to allow auto-tune would be 100% welcome to see in an update OR perhaps the software can already do what I need?

Thanks,
DJ Sundog

#2 User is offline   Luis Serrano 

• Group: Gibson Pro Audio

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

Hi Sundog, Deckadance can offer you the following things:

1) It analyzes the songs and auto detects the main key of the song.
Attached File  key_detector.jpg (52.11K)
Number of downloads: 1

2) It provides you a key utility panel with a key shift slider and key sync button to create smooth transitions between tracks (harmonic mixing).
Attached File  key_panel.jpg (74.42K)
Number of downloads: 1

* Key Shift slider - Changes track key +/- 12 semitones. Double-click the slider to reset to default. A +/- value will appear in the track display to show how many semitones up/down the key has been shifted.
* Key Sync (note icon) - Use key sync button to find a compatible key that is closest to the master deck key (using circle of fifths).
* LOCK - Enable key LOCK to change the playback speed of the song without changing the pitch (equivalent to "Master Tempo" button in CDJ players). If it's enabled you can use key slider to change track key.

#3 User is offline   TheSundog 

• Group: Members

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

This is pretty cool Forum software, BTW.

While what Deckadance can do analyzing key and such is cool, that is just not what I need. Let's say I am out playing a song in the key of "A". I am in tune and all is well. THEN somebody wants a tune bad enough to load my tip jar. Turns out it too is in "A" except that it's NOT A440, it's just close. I can 1) Stall and re-tune my bass during a song playing and tell my customer to wait OR 2) I could just go ahead and play IF all the songs in my repertoire were tuned perfectly (this would take forever using Sound Forge even with Batch Mode) OR 3) I could rely on your software to handle this detail for me in real time OR 4) Perhaps there's a plug-in that can do what I need. Whew, lot's of possibilities. Ideally I could just grab my bass or guitar and wail as I have plenty to do DJing. Does this make sense? Even if you offered a feature to "Normalize" pitch in DD on songs offline? A utility that can tune a batch of songs to one central pitch)? Just a thought but a REAL cool idea to add to this is real time tune, in that say a super great piano player comes up to play (this happened). Naturally, NONE of my tracks were in tune with that piano. Makes things very tough indeed. BUT, what if he steps up and I activate a Microphone and he hit's a middle "C"? Then DD could make sure that ALL songs in the bag would be in tune to that piano.

Anyway, thanks. Really appreciate what you do.

View PostLuis Serrano, on 21 June 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

Hi Sundog, Deckadance can offer you the following things:

1) It analyzes the songs and auto detects the main key of the song.
key_detector.jpg

2) It provides you a key utility panel with a key shift slider and key sync button to create smooth transitions between tracks (harmonic mixing).
key_panel.jpg

* Key Shift slider - Changes track key +/- 12 semitones. Double-click the slider to reset to default. A +/- value will appear in the track display to show how many semitones up/down the key has been shifted.
* Key Sync (note icon) - Use key sync button to find a compatible key that is closest to the master deck key (using circle of fifths).
* LOCK - Enable key LOCK to change the playback speed of the song without changing the pitch (equivalent to "Master Tempo" button in CDJ players). If it's enabled you can use key slider to change track key.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users