Gibson Brands Forums

TEKTOID NUT

Wild Bill 212

On a 2016 SG Special, I put .42-.08 strings and the High 'E' string started hitting the 1ST Fret. To fix it I just opened the relief a quarter of a turn counter-clockwise and the string cleared the 1ST fret.The string Action at the 1ST Fret on the High 'E' is not measurable as the string is barely clearing the fret. To put it simply, I need to jack up the NUT about 1/64TH all the way across the fingerboard. This was a QC problem from the day I bought the guitar. I did not complain to Guitar Center as it was only $542 for the guitar and it is actually a pleasure to play...<br><br>After hitting the TEKTOID NUT with a Hammer (with a piece of Terry-Cloth over the Hammer's-head) , that sucker isn't budging. How or what would you use to get the TEKTOID NUT off this guitar without taking a piece of the Neck off with it ? and as far as putting a shim underneath the NUT, what would be acceptable material to use as a SHIM ?<br>

On a 2016 SG Special, I put .42-.08 strings and the High 'E' string started hitting the 1ST Fret. To fix it I just opened the relief a quarter of a turn counter-clockwise and the string cleared the 1ST fret.The string Action at the 1ST Fret on the High 'E' is not measurable as the string is barely clearing the fret. To put it simply, I need to jack up the NUT about 1/64TH all the way across the fingerboard. This was a QC problem from the day I bought the guitar. I did not complain to Guitar Center as it was only $542 for the guitar and it is actually a pleasure to play...<br><br>After hitting the TEKTOID NUT with a Hammer (with a piece of Terry-Cloth over the Hammer's-head) , that sucker isn't budging. How or what would you use to get the TEKTOID NUT off this guitar without taking a piece of the Neck off with it ? and as far as putting a shim underneath the NUT, what would be acceptable material to use as a SHIM ?<br>

Looks like a popular thread, LOL ! But I ended up using a 3/16" Wide piece of Fiber-Board that was/is .018" TALL for a SHIM, kinda like an emory board but a little sturdier.After using a 1" Block of wood to knock the Top of the NUT back to loosen it up, I then used a Fret Rocker to pop the NUT out the side of the groove its held in. The NUTs height was a li'l high so I just sanded the bottom of the NUT till the action at the 1ST Fret was 2/64THs Bass Side and 1/64TH Treble side. Took about 15 minutes.

Archived