Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone using Apple Music Memos?

sbpark

Guess I'm not in the loop because I just heard about this app. Downloaded it and strummed some chords to see what would happen and here's the result:

I use the voice memo function a lot for recording ideas on the fly, and my buddy asked me why I didn't use the Apple Music Memos app? Never heard of it. Just record your guitar into the app like you would with the voice memos app, and it identifies the chords, and then you can add bass and drums. Sometimes it picks the wrong chords, but you can go in and edit, and depending on your timing the drums can come out a bit strange, but for a free app I don't think you can beat it for recording ideas on the fly.

Wow, that sounds like a really cool app. The quality was really good in your recording, as well as your playing and the music. What guitar and stuff were you using? Were you recording using the built in microphone on an iPad or something?

Wow, that sounds like a really cool app. The quality was really good in your recording, as well as your playing and the music. What guitar and stuff were you using? Were you recording using the built in microphone on an iPad or something?

J45TV and using the iPhone's built-in mic.

I'm digging this app so much I'm going to pick up a Digitech Trio+ this evening. Obviously not the same thing, but it's an awesome songwriting tool for someone like me who doesn't have a band but wants to hear bass and drums over my ideas, but hates programming drums in Garage Band and Logic with a passion. Great tool for woodshedding and making quick demos.

I use it on the fly, for capturing ideas and such. Playing with the bass and drum lines gives me ways to hear stuff, make adjustments. I like it, but, yeah, you gotta be religious with your tempo or the app won't do beans for you.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used Music Memos pretty extensively. I do quite a bit of writing with a gent in Ontario. We email ideas and lyrics back and forth, I'll come up with music ideas, and I'll then forward them north from Cleveland OH, as a scratch vocal and guitar. You can even directly import them into Garage Band, and add what you like too. We are using Google docs for the lyric sheets, and once finished I'll export the lyrics and chords to OnSong, and send them back to him. It's pretty cool. Unfortunately my notebook and pen have gone the way of the DoDo.

Oh well, progress

Rick

Archived