Gibson Brands Forums

J-50

Buc McMaster

Alluring - Beautiful - Convincing

Really like the way the light-hued sides meet the top. Makes it look very together, , , and the case blend in too.

I'd say 50.000 songs ring in echo of this oldie.

Freight Train, It ain't Me Babe, Fire and Rain, Streets of London and a handful of Pentangle-tunes may be among them. .

. . . or maybe the original owner just went . . .

Yeah, you're right - just tried to imagine some classic 50-stuff.

But those strings - highly interesting. Could be fun to put them on and take a listen. One could always roll them off and into that pack again.

Yeah, you're right - just tried to imagine some classic 50-stuff.

But those strings - highly interesting. Could be fun to put them on and take a listen. One could always roll them off and into that pack again.

I love the stuff you find in these old cases. Here's some strings I found in an old Lifton case.

D80B4664-5CDE-433C-B15F-047F003C9582_zpslqlffghh.jpg

. . . or maybe the original owner just went . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88XvpkHS4UE

Beautiful guitar. Wonderful level of play wear- looks like someone loved playing it, and took it around.

The guitar just gives such an authentic vibe. Is this the typical bridge for a ’56? ‘Thought we’d be seeing an ADJ (?)

Love the case.

The ADJ was first an option in '56 (ish). My ('57) has the drop in saddle and absence of the ADJ nomenclature on the back center brace. I have heard round about guesses on how many adjs opposed to J50 were made. It would be interesting to know how many chose the newfangled option.

Nice looking J50 though Buc.

Aaaah. Fond memories of those old Black Diamond Strings. I don't think I ever changed a whole set - just one at a time when they broke. Don't think my Mom&Pop carried any other brand.

Those string packets would look nice framed in a collage.

I think those vintage strings are more in my price range than that J50 was !

Grew up w/Black Diamond, too. Usually from the corner drugstore, one at a time. That translated to five pretty dead strings and one that was lively. I still recall how amazing my guitar sounded the first time it got a full, new set😮

Grew up w/Black Diamond, too. Usually from the corner drugstore, one at a time. That translated to five pretty dead strings and one that was lively. I still recall how amazing my guitar sounded the first time it got a full, new set😮

If they did not unwind (particularly the G string) before the strings went dead. I am convinced Black Diamond strings were solely responsible for the invention of guitar strings wound on a hex core.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with the old cases is that they . . . smell.

I have a 1949 J-50:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/138349-1949-gibson-j-50/page__p__1868241__hl__1949__fromsearch__1#entry1868241

I don't keep the Gibbo in the case but on a stand. If I kept it in the old Lifton case not only would I not play it as often as I do (i.e. every day), it would also be a bit whiffy.

However, I do remember the feeling I had lifting the guitar out of the case for the very first time and marvelling at how light it was. A treasured memory.

• 3 weeks later...

The ADJ was first an option in '56 (ish). My ('57) has the drop in saddle and absence of the ADJ nomenclature on the back center brace. I have heard round about guesses on how many adjs opposed to J50 were made. It would be interesting to know how many chose the newfangled option.

Nice looking J50 though Buc.

According to the excellent Vintage Guitar website only 93 Adj J-50s shipped in 1956, compared with 1058 fixed bridge models. The situation had reversed by 1958, by which time the Adj models were far outselling the fixed bridge guitar which seems to have been discontinued in 1961. Similar shipping figures apply to the J-45

xy2zfWW.jpg

Archived