Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom 68 Reissue Heritage Cherry Sunburst

Kurtastrophe

G'day out there in Gibson land. Long time reader, first time poster. I have recently brought this 2001 Les Paul Custom 68 reissue (#010738) which, Gibson confirmed (via email) its serial number is consistent with a heritage cherry sunburst figured top. I have not seen any of these 68 reissues in this darker colour, but love it nonetheless. The guitar dealer I bought it from was advertising it as a triburst, which I guess could be easily mistaken for. It has a 50's wiring circuit modification and PIO capacitors. I do enjoy the vintage tone but I mainly play high gain music, and will be swapping out the PAFs for a Seymour Duncan Custom (sh-5) in the bridge (uncovered/gold poles, for a non-nasally tone), and a Jazz neck (sh-2. ) (covered). I was just wondering if anyone has seen a 68 reissue in this darker than normal burst, and if anyone has used this combination of pickups in guitars with the same or similar specs (e.g., ebony fretboards). Also, does anyone know the history of the 68 reissues, (i.e., when they were first made, the cost brand new, average cost now, etc). Thanks in advance for any information and advise.

post-85928-066690800 1498373518_thumb.jpg

post-85928-011477800 1498373537_thumb.jpg

post-85928-012436500 1498373555_thumb.jpg

post-85928-008505400 1498373599_thumb.jpg

I have not seen any of these 68 reissues in this darker colour, but love it nonetheless

Might be a TRUE historic finish [biggrin]

https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/the-gibson-59-true-historic-les-paul-comparison

But I agree on both accounts I have not seen one either and have seen a few, the finish is nice. I used the combination of pick-ups some time ago but I wasn't crazy about the Jazz by SD I remember changing one out for a SD 59 and I like the 59 a little better. Just my opinion the highs were nicer sounding to me, but lots a people love that Jazz neck. That said Im using all Gibson pups except for a DiMarzio Anniversary set which is nice also.

OK you realized the LP wasnt a Tri Burst, Gibson confirmed and you clearly like it anyway, its more than likely confirmed inside the guitar or with the ID card also and of course Gibson. What neck profile is on it? If I remember right the tri burst was a GC or sam ash order, they came with 60 profile necks. I dont know if thats true with the model above and I think thats a Gibson run on the 68 Custom LP. Not sure if they varied other than with finish options. Right the seller made an error.

Gibson confirmed (via email) its serial number is consistent with a heritage cherry sunburst figured top. I have not seen any of these 68 reissues in this darker colour, but love it nonetheless. The guitar dealer I bought it from was advertising it as a triburst, which I guess could be easily mistaken for.

Archived